Bitcoin world update

Your definition of store of value is correct. However, I think it pays to think about the many different futures and the probabilities.

In your example of one possible future, Gold and Bitcoin would still be exchanged outside the devasted region. A person could go to a country that is still functional is the theory. Whether this is practical or realistic is up to the individual.

There is no one thing an individual or group of individuals can do to be resilient to all possible futures.

There are those that follow the “guns and ammo” principal. That guns and ammo will protect whatever it is they have to eat or allow them to take whatever it is they need. There are those that have been working to be self reliant. Living off grid and raising their own food.

For each of these ideas, I can come up with realistic scenarios where the solution doesn’t fit the problem.

Even for those with the insight and courage to move to a country that has a lower probability of disaster, which I think is the best solution in terms of probability, there are risks. Doug Casey often tells the story about a man living in Europe that saw WWII coming and decided to move to a place that the war would not touch. He moved to Guadalcanal. Whether true or not, it illustrates that there are no guaranteed solutions. Just probabilities.

In King Rat, the Clavell novel based on his POW experience, cigarettes are valuable. Not because everyone smoked, but because enough people did smoke that they could be counted on as tradable. Thus, the value doesn’t have to be directly applicable to the person in need of something (I need food in your scenario).

Even in the worst war torn starvation scenarios, there are people (typically warlords) that want something they can exchange outside of necessities. They steal the food provided by the NGOs and what do they do with it? They somehow use it to fund their enterprise which includes buying weapons not made in the country. My guess is that they operate like a pawn shop. They will take anything of value outside the given region.

4 Likes

4 Likes
1 Like

JUST IN: :us: Donald Trump announces he is accepting presidential campaign donations in cryptocurrency.

@WatcherGuru