Twitter, Elon Musk, and 𝕏

America’s greatest author(?):

2 Likes

Stephen King has spell checker, but no logic checker like so many on left !!!

3 Likes

Here’s tenured professors declaring information war:

4 Likes

And now, like Dr. No in the Caribbean, Auric Goldfinger in Switzerland, and Ernst Stavro Bloefeld in Japan, Musk is bringing workers from China into the US:
https://www.assemblymag.com/articles/97424-workers-from-teslas-shanghai-factory-sent-to-california-factory-to-boost-production

4 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

According to this report, this looks like it’s actually happening.

On 29 Oct, Saturday morning, a new project kicked off, with the first demo due on Monday morning. Engineers tell me they woke up on Saturday to find a new, company-wide initiative of the highest priority: shipping a feature for anyone to be able to pay for verification – the high-status ‘blue tick.’ The launch date was set for Monday, 7 November, with more granular demos and milestones slated in. The first demo was scheduled for Monday, 31 October, in the morning: only two days later.

The deadline of Monday for the demo clearly implied people had to work the whole weekend to make it happen. Although engineers report nobody was told that this overtime was required, the feeling was that failing to work all weekend carried the high risk of getting fired, in the context of employees already fearing large layoffs lay ahead.

[…]
There was so much to do that several slept on couches and at least one engineer used a sleeping bag they’d had the foresight to bring along.

Orosz concludes by reflecting on how in a little under 10 days Twitter is becoming more like Tesla

A software engineer who formerly worked at Tesla summarized the culture at Tesla, as: “When Elon says ‘jump’, you say ‘how high?’ You don’t ask if you should jump at all. This is the culture.”

7 Likes

I suspect that culture will cause many snowflakes to melt and/or jump right on out of their cushy jobs, making fewer firings necessary. Let’s hope so.

2 Likes

Here is the Twitter lay-off E-mail sent to all employees.

7 Likes

Sounds like they are anticipating a massive impact given the decision to close offices and temporarily revoke badge access. Sabotaging company assets on the way out is a distinct possibility.

Certainly an interesting turn of events, particularly given the timing around the US elections.

Did saner minds prevail and convinced Elon he needs not sign this message?

4 Likes
6 Likes

Here are the “You’re fired” and “You’re safe” E-mails being sent today, 2022-11-04, to Twitter employees.

By setting the termination date as 2023-02-02, Twitter would appear to avoid running afoul of the state and federal provisions cited in the lawsuits over the lay-offs. In the next to last paragraph of the “You’re safe” letter, I think they meant to say “company policy” instead of “company police”, but I suppose with San Francisco big tech you never know.

6 Likes

Manu Cornet, the lead plaintiff in this lawsuit documented his experience on his blog (link).

He appears to have been fired for cause, which is supported by his blog post.

Fair to say that Elon Musk has accumulated a significant and rapidly growing ill-will capital with a certain part of the tech community, particularly in Silicon Valley. And it seems like whatever he does next, more hate and obnoxious pushback will follow. This is strange, but perhaps not surprising.

2 Likes

Berkeley communications professors engaging in what seems to me, hate speech:

4 Likes

Please start with GM.

4 Likes

musk_2022-11-05

7 Likes

An interesting conversation between Eugen, the founder of the leading alternative to Twitter (Mastodon), and what seems to be an alt-right advocate with a Russian-sounding handle Yuri56 (who’s no longer on the system):

I couldn’t find the messages - they might have been deleted.

Clearly, Musk underestimated the deterrent effect that the eight dollar fee would have on abuse. I submit there is a silver lining. How many abusers paid via PayPal? Any such use appears to be a violation of the PayPal terms and subjects the user to the $2500 fine. Should PayPal refuse to impose such fines, Twitter may have an unfair competition claim against PayPal.

4 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes