Good Shepherd?

There is a large variation in in beef, even from the same breed of steer, depending upon what it eats, how it is raised, and when it is harvested. In Switzerland, almost all beef that’s sold is grass fed, which includes not only domestic beef, but also imports from Ireland and Canada. This is not due to regulation, but simply customer preference. Switzerland never got into the “finishing on grain” and “USDA prime marbling” stuff, so people are accustomed to lean beef which they say, and I agree, tastes better than the bland stuff from the U.S.

I never thought there was anything wrong with U.S. beef, but once I became accustomed to the lean, grass fed variety, found I like it better and find all the marbling and oozing fat over the top. But this is something that can be tailored once you’re producing meat to customer preferences. There’s no reason all of the varieties, from extra-lean to Wagyu stick-of-butter-on-the-hoof beef can’t be made for markets that prefer it.

For some reason, people assume industrial production means rigid standardisation and the elimination of variety and personal preference. But that’s the mass manufacturing era of 1900 through 1960. After that, manufacturers learned to segment the market and address niches by tailoring products to them, and the variety today is often bewildering. There’s no reason to believe it won’t be the same in engineered meat.

5 Likes

One last thing on lab grown plastic meat. When you eat that stuff you make this person smile:

Let’s remember there are some 14 or so essential amino acids and 4 essential fats - but NO essential carbs. Nor is there a reaction in the body that converts protein to body fat. So “taste” isn’t the only factor in your diet.

4 Likes
3 Likes