It Doesn’t Bear Thinking Of

@johnwalker thank you so much for mentioning Sagan’s book The Demon-Haunted World”. And it led me back to Mackay’s “Extraordinary Popular Delusions” —fortunately that’s one of the books in my bedside shelf, I was able to immediately put my hand on the codex.
The world Sagan was writing about, early 90s America…reading about it now I think we can see the seeds of all the present madnesses. F’rinstance, the whole recovered memory fad, which had people of all ages suddenly convinced that their families were composed of evil perverse villains, who had actively harmed them or silently acquiesced in the harm—and all without the adult individual’s knowledge! (Because, if you don’t remember something, that’s another way of saying you don’t know it, right?)
. Really once we could swallow that, it paved the way for the transgender delusion,that you can look back at whatever of life you remember and see it all in the light of never having wanted to be never having been INTENDED ago be, what you manifestly were.
It’s been a parlous thirty years.

4 Likes