Javer Milei Elected President of Argentina

Where’s that rain cloud icon to use instead of the heart one?

5 Likes

On 2023-12-20 Argentine president Javier Milei announced a broad programme of deregulation, including abolition of rent control, allowing the privatisation of state-owned companies, suspension of all public construction projects, and a year-long ban on advertising by the state. Below are the first five minutes of the speech with English subtitles. This was posted only on 𝕏 so you have to click the image to play the video there.

Argentinians responded, of course, by rioting.

9 Likes

As part of the economic reforms announced by Javier Milei, Argentine minister of foreign affairs Diana Mondino confirmed that henceforth contracts in Argentina may be settled in Bitcoin.

English translation:

We ratify and confirm that in Argentina contracts can be agreed in Bitcoin.

This is actually a special case of the implementation of full Milton Friedman-style monetary freedom, in which parties to a contract can agree to use any currency or commodity they wish for payment.

English translation:

And also any other crypto and/or species such as kilos of steer or liters of milk.

Art 766. - Obligation of the debtor. The debtor must deliver the corresponding amount of the designated currency, whether the currency is legal tender in the Republic or not.

I think the use of “especie”, which Google Translate translated as “species”, probably was intended to denote “money”, as in the related English word “specie”.

How appropriate that in Argentina you can pay in beef!

8 Likes

All countries need a leader who will do the same thing as Milei. I have high hopes for Argentina now.

7 Likes

In remarks delivered on the eve of the first big protest of Milei’s Presidency, Human Capital Minister Sandra Pettovello said in a broadcast that picketers who attempt to block roads would be stripped of government support.

“The only people who will not receive [welfare and aid] are those who go to the march and cut the street,” warned the 55-year-old, who is leading a new government portfolio that encompasses the former ministries of Culture, Education, Labour and Social Development.

Protesters are set to take to the streets in two days time to mark the annual demonstration commemorating the 39 people killed in protests on December 19 and 20, 2001, the year of Argentina’s worst-ever economic, social and political crisis.

Pettovello took pre-emptive aim at the organisers of the demonstrations as she warned them that “those who cut do not get paid” – repeating a line used by Milei in his December 10 inauguration speech.

“Over the next few days, picketer organisations have called for a protest,” said the minister. “We wish to specify that even though it is a right to demonstrate, so is respecting the right of people to circulate freely to get to their jobs.”

7 Likes

The contracts for other government employees, who were hired prior to 2023, will be reviewed, authorities said. The 2023 cutoff is apparently meant to target the practice of outgoing presidents padding the payrolls in their final year.

10 Likes

Milei Does Davos

7 Likes

If you don’t have time for the whole thing, or just want a snippet to help you decide, here’s the punchline in the end:
https://twitter.com/agustinavcid/status/1747655869909946548

6 Likes

I hope he has good security and wears a bulletproof vest.

5 Likes

Heritage Foundation: “Hold my beer!”
https://twitter.com/i/status/1748354639861276740

4 Likes
11 Likes

Autodubbing of speech into English:
https://twitter.com/aphysicist/status/1747868626948907325

2 Likes