SpaceX Starship Orbital Flight Test

starship_m_2023-04-20

starship_n_2023-04-20

They want you to eat bugs and die young, shivering in the cold and dark.

7 Likes

If I were a Musk I’d be paying people to post stuff like this and then I would say let’s replace the 16th Amendment with a flat tax on net assets Beyond Homestead bankruptcy protection coupled with replacing the welfare state with an unconditional citizens income.

Musk would be far wealthier and guys like Bezos far less wealthy since they depend critically on network effect monopolies which have a higher liquidation value since anyone can make money with a network effect monopoly.

Indeed that change in policy would not only separate the men from the boys, its timing is perfect now that everybody is freaking out about AI and “jerbz”. It would make the simulation maximally entertaining to watch people like Elizabeth Warren implode.

5 Likes

Ignition! You (or at least Rover 2 Cam) are there. Better Rover 2 Cam than you or I!

Concrete storm incoming!

3 Likes

This comment says that the flame trench was abandoned because of environmental paperwork. The comment contains a link to a PDF that is now only on archive.org:

6 Likes

Fascinating—I had never heard of this!

3 Likes

I vaguely recall something about this being due to the shallow water table, but its pretty hard to believe the trench construction and regulatory hurdles couldn’t have been overcome during the 3 year lag before first test flight. Then again, Musk was pretty aggressive about pushing for that first tranche of test data so I can see why he’d risk what we have now witnessed: An environmental outcome worse than the EPA bureaucrats would have imagined: Spewing a hundred tons of concrete debris all over the wetlands. At least Musk got his data!

That said, I’ve never seen any satisfactory explanation for why Musk didn’t just build Truax’s Sea Dragon and be done with the whole mess – not just “stage 0” but also the Starship tile problem, which IIRC Truax said he would solve by rotisserie rotating the steel reentry vehicle. Maybe I misunderstood him but that’s what I recall him saying would solve the reentry problem without tiles.

4 Likes

Interesting comment from Blair Ivey further down that thread:
It appears from the SpaceX feed that Starship failed to separate at the designated time, and as fuel burned off in SuperHeavy, the center-of-gravity moved forward along the thrust axis until the stack became uncontrollable.

Lots of analysis will have to be done before the way forward becomes clear.

4 Likes

One of the better Sea Dragon animations (of which there are many):

4 Likes

This won’t buff out:

7 Likes

A brief search for arguments against the Sea Dragon as compared to the Superheavy yielded little in the way of direct comparisons and much in the way of Dunning Kruger regarding the Sea Dragon. One of the more precious Dunning Kruger moments was when an “authority” declared the turbo pump of the Saturn V to be an extremely difficult problem even at far lower flow rates than the Sea Dragon’s fuel flow rates. Truly impressive DK performance given that the Sea Dragon is pressure fed hence has the “optimal turbo pump” being NONE.

Anyway, one argument was that the acoustic assault on sea life would kill everything in the Gulf of Mexico. So I went looking for anything on that topic in the literature and found this study, with this introduction to the dynamics section:

and this acoustics table:

In all, I can see why Musk might have avoided the Sea Dragon:

The environmentalists would have been preemptively all up in his business since we just don’t know what the environmental impact would be given the absence of adequate scientific models and validation thereof that should have started in the early '60s.

4 Likes

Or, as the Canadian bush pilots say, “What you don’t have can’t break.”

5 Likes

When you consider the hoops SpaceX was made to jump through by the environmentalists as part of the FAA licensing process (detailed in the post here on 2022-06-13, “FAA Releases SpaceX Starbase Programmatic Environmental Assessment, Finds ‘No Significant Impact’ ”), one can scarcely imagine how they would have reacted to a proposal to launch Sea Dragon from the Gulf. I’m thinking something like the closing scene of Kingsman.

Also, according to the Wikipedia page on Sea Dragon, “Payload costs, in 1963, were estimated to be between $59 to $600 per kg (roughly $500 to $5,060 per kg in 2020 dollars. TRW (Space Technology Laboratories, Inc.) conducted a program review and validated the design and its expected costs.” Now, that’s a pretty wide range for a cost estimate, but Elon’s goal for Starship is much more ambitious: “Musk has predicted that a Starship orbital launch will eventually cost US$ 1 million (or US$ 10 per kilogram.” Even if he is low by a factor of ten, that’s still one fifth the lowest estimate for Sea Dragon.

6 Likes

Here is Scott Manley’s analysis of the Orbital Test Flight. Note, in particular, the slow motion blow-up of liftoff, where large chunks of concrete can be seen flying to a substantial fraction of the height of the rocket. That makes it plausible that the first three engine failures might have been due to impacts from debris.

5 Likes

That’s quite a bit higher than the impression Truax gave me circa 1990, but then I never bothered to check up on his claim. In any event, I’m pretty sure the “TRW report” is the document I previously linked to. Here is The Money Quote:

To do an apples to apples comparison, we must use the before-amortization cost. Here’s Musk’s quoted target again:

“Musk has predicted that a Starship orbital launch will eventually cost US$ 1 million (or US$ 10 per kilogram.”

That doesn’t look like an amortized cost.

If so, the low end TRW estimate is $(2020)184, which is nearly 20 times Musk’s target.

That said, it still looks to me like Kennedy/von Braun really did a number on the US if not the world by failing to go with prize awards for milestones toward landing a man on the moon using guys like Truax and Hughes rather than a communist style “8 year plan”.

2 Likes

Marcus House has chimed in with his coverage of the flight. He does not go in for speculation about causes of things, but has some video of the launch I hadn’t seen before, including the SpaceX drone shot showing debris landing in the Gulf as the rocket ascends. There are still pictures from Starship showing some missing thermal protection tiles and the stages in the process of breaking up.

5 Likes

Scott Manley is normally an astute observer, but he was probably a bit off in suggesting that the +/-150 feet water depth where the rocket came down is too deep for amateur divers. All SpaceX has to do it get those 4 men & a chick on a rented sailboat who blew up 3 out of 4 NordStream pipelines in significantly deeper water in the Baltic. Those Ukrainians will have the remains on the rocket back on dry land in no time flat!

Of course, it might be difficult for SpaceX to get in touch with those wiley Ukrainians. No-one else seems to be able to find them.

3 Likes

Musk believes he has the stage zero in hand.

6 Likes

The water cooling of the steel plate will be open loop rather than closed loop. This begs the question of the discharged water. It would have to be steam, which will probably be classified as a pollutant by the EPA.

Perhaps musk can come up with a way to deflect ice falling from the rocket to help aid in the process.

4 Likes

The methane heat of combustion flow of just one Raptor is >7GW or ~250GW per Superheavy.

I’ve heard stuff like “as much power as the entire US electrical grid” associated with big rockets so – ok – about a quarter terawatt must be cooled by the water flow. Sheesh… ok… so that’s, what water mass flow rate?

100tonne/sec/Superheavy*

'Zat rite?

(See, Calchemy still comes in handy 25 years after doing all those thermal calculations for the ultracentrifugal rocket engine!)

*Note this assumes steam is the output which must be carefully weighed against the fact that the thermal transfer properties of steam are far less favorable than liquid water. You really have to be careful about hot spots forming if you are relying on the total heat of vaporization. Things can get out of hand. You like to keep things liquid. It’s like, a really big deal at these areal powers.

5 Likes

The existing water deluge systems for SLS, Falcon 9/Heavy, and Atlas all emit huge clouds of steam into the atmosphere and nobody seems to bother about it. Of course, this is clown world where CO₂ has been classified as a “pollutant”, so you never know….

5 Likes