The Crazy Years

Wow. According to Heinlein, 1990s slated for mass psychosis.

I am so blessed to have “none of that” in 2022 …

… as I sit down to a nice family Memorial Day bbq with my face masked government teacher brother in law!

12 Likes

Written in 2012 (or earlier):

“With public trust continuing to ebb, the regeneracy phase of this crisis (in which civic purpose begins to strengthen) still seems years away, and the crisis climax is well over a decade distant. Most likely, this Fourth Turning will come to an end in the late 2020s.”

10 Likes

No shortage of geolocated wokeism - ironic how the ME appears to be on the side of traditional values, albeit that won’t withstand any scrutiny in reality. We really are in clown world.

Epic lack of self awareness… who are these companies really signaling to? Each other? The woke номенклату́ра?

10 Likes

I think they mispelled “degeneracy” :wink:

7 Likes

The defense distributed CNC mill ought to first and foremost print another CNC mill from a block of metal :slight_smile:

4 Likes

NBC News Reports, “ ‘Tom Swift’ series reimagines the classic book character as a Black gay billionaire”:

The intrepid, ingenious inventor Tom Swift — whose eponymous book series debuted more than a century ago — has been reimagined as a Black gay billionaire in a new sci-fi mystery drama that expands the “Nancy Drew” universe on The CW.

Co-created by “Nancy Drew” showrunners Noga Landau and Melinda Hsu Taylor and “Empire” writer Cameron Johnson, “Tom Swift,” which premieres Tuesday, follows the devilishly charming inventor (played by Tian Richards) who is described as a young man “with unlimited resources and unimaginable wealth” who many men would kill to be — or be with. But after his father, Barton (Christopher B. Duncan), mysteriously disappears on a landmark trip to Saturn, Tom begins a quest to unravel the truth at all costs and finds himself fighting to outsmart an Illuminati-scale cabal hellbent on stopping him.

From the outset, Landau was adamant about creating a subversive take on the original “Tom Swift” novels, which chronicled the adventures of a white, blonde, blue-eyed inventor and had a history of depicting Black communities in a bad light.

“When you Google the covers of old ‘Tom Swift’ books, whoever pops up on screen, just imagine the exact opposite of that man — and that’s our Tom Swift,” Landau told NBC News. “I think the inspiration for it came from the fact that I’ve just never seen a Black gay billionaire onscreen before, and I really wanted to see one.”

Tom’s confidence in his sexuality is further illustrated in an unapologetic sex scene in the pilot, which was just one of the many ways that the creators wanted to reintroduce the character to audiences. “What I particularly love about The CW is that, in the writing of it, they never asked us to dial it back or make it less gay,” Johnson said. “They were like, ‘No, no, no, go for it. Tom should definitely do that.’ I would hate to have people watch this show and feel like we were only giving them a portion of what it’s like to be a queer person, and we’re not doing that.”

The CW” is apparently a U.S. television network.

If you’d like to read the original Tom Swift novels, all of the ones published prior to 1923 (and hence in the public domain) are available from Fourmilab in “Tom Swift and His Pocket Library”.

11 Likes

It seems these writers suffer from a great sense of their own inferiority. After all, if they want to pump up the homosexual African-ancestry credentials of their hero, why not invent a totally new appropriate character? Why steal a character created by a more talented writer and twist him/her/its/their/zes into something that was totally irrelevant to the original character? It is not as if Tom Swift books are particularly well known any more; nor was Saturn a common setting for those novels.

9 Likes

I assume this is a rhetorical question, but here is the book of knowledge advancing one hypothesis as to why Tom Swift would have to be “recreated” (source)

Tom Swift’s adventures have been popular since the character’s inception in 1910: by 1914, 150,000 copies a year were being sold[40] and a 1929 study found the series to be second in popularity only to the Bible for boys in their early teens.[51] By 2009, Tom Swift books had sold more than 30 million copies worldwide.[2]

Frankly, I am surprised that Noga Landau and Melinda Hsu Taylor showed restraint in their modern reinterpretation of the main character. Although this part of the NBC report is not leaving much to imagination, it’s possible that future episodes or the predictable season 2 will introduce additional plot twists meant to further aggravate the bourgeois sensibilities.

Because there is nothing that speaks more to a memorable fiction character (particularly juvenile fiction) than xir/his/her “confidence in his sexuality”

7 Likes

Politico reports, “West Point expected to be ordered to take down portrait of Robert E. Lee”:

For 70 years, the slave-owning Confederate general Robert E. Lee has stared down at West Point cadets from a massive portrait in the academy’s library, a slave guiding his horse in the background.

But that portrait could be coming down.

The commission that was established to rename military bases that honor Confederate generals is expected to recommend that West Point remove the 20-foot portrait of Lee in his gray Confederate uniform, according to two people familiar with the group’s deliberations.

The commander of the Confederate Army, who served as superintendent from Sept. 1, 1852, to March 31, 1855, before breaking up with the Union, has a long and complicated history with West Point. His name and likeness are all over the New York campus, from street signs to another portrait hanging in the dining hall. But the portrait in the library has drawn particular scrutiny.

The creation of the commission was one of the reasons then-President Donald Trump vetoed the 2021 NDAA in December 2020, resulting in Congress’ first override of his presidency. Trump gave the commencement address at West Point in June 2020 amid controversy over renaming the bases and accusations that he was politicizing the armed forces.

After the override in January 2021, the Trump administration named four individuals to the commission, including several loyalists to the former president. President Joe Biden’s Defense secretary, Austin, removed all of these members.

Retired Adm. Michelle Howard, the Navy’s first female four-star admiral and the first Black woman to command a Navy ship, now serves as chair, and the group’s members include retired Gen. Thomas Bostick, the first Black graduate of West Point to serve as chief of engineers of the U.S. Army and commanding general of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

The most high-profile decision from the group’s initial recommendations is the renaming of Fort Bragg in North Carolina, the headquarters of Army Special Operations Command and the home of the Army’s XVIII Airborne Corps, which was named after Confederate Gen. Braxton Bragg. If the proposal is adopted, the base would be renamed Fort Liberty, in commemoration of “the American value of Liberty.”

“Fort Liberty”—that’s nothing to Bragg about.

7 Likes

Interesting that there’s been multiple authors of Tom Swift books through the franchise ran by Edward Stratemeyer - Wikipedia – I wonder if anyone’s applied authorship attribution to the texts, in the spirit of https://www.jstor.org/stable/2283270

4 Likes

I’ve never seen a reference that attributes authorship of the individual books to authors, but here is what Goodreads says on their “Victor Appleton” page.

The Syndicate’s authors created the Tom Swift books by first preparing an outline with all the plot elements, followed by drafting and editing the detailed manuscript. The books were published under the house name of Victor Appleton. Edward Stratemeyer and Howard Garis wrote most of the volumes in the original series; Stratemeyer’s daughter, Harriet Stratemeyer Adams, wrote the last three volumes. The first Tom Swift series ended in 1941.

In 1954, Harriet Adams created the Tom Swift, Jr., series, which was published under the name “Victor Appleton II”. Most titles were outlined and plotted by Adams. The texts were written by various writers, among them William Dougherty, John Almquist, Richard Sklar, James Duncan Lawrence, Tom Mulvey and Richard McKenna. The Tom Swift, Jr., series ended in 1971.

I was a somewhat surprised to have never heard of any of the named authors. I’d suspected that some of the Tom Swift books might have been written by journeyman adventure and science fiction authors wanting to ring the cash register back when the pulp magazines paid very little for stories and there was a much smaller market for long-form fiction. The Star Trek and Star Wars branded books have been using this strategy for years, although they publish the books under the author’s name (or pen name).

Having read the first 25 original Tom Swift books in close detail as I prepared electronic editions, one thing I’ll say is that regardless of who wrote them, they have a very consistent style and narrative voice, but whether this went in from the start or was imposed by Stratemeyer’s editing process, I don’t know.

7 Likes

The bizarro clown world becomes crazier each day.

Via Breitbart:

A viral video featuring drag queens dancing in front of babies and toddlers at a Dallas pride event has caused an uproar on social media.

The event, titled “Drag the Kids to Pride,” was held at a bar called Mr. Misster in Dallas, Texas, where families were encouraged to attend with their children. The announcement said:

Mr. Misster’s Drag the Kids to Pride Drag Show provides the ultimate family-friendly pride experience. The signature event is a family-friendly spin-off of our Champagne Drag Brunch, with our resident DJ Charlie Phresh playing some of your favorite hits will host Nicole O’Hara Munro brings together some of the best drag entertainers around!

The announcement then invited “young performers” to take the stage and dance alongside the “Queens.”

Do you want to hit the stage with the Queens? We have five limited spots for young performers to take the stage solo, or with the Queen of their choosing! Come hang out with the Queens and enjoy this unique pride experience fit for guests of all ages!” it concluded.

As the outrageous video illustrated, the event was anything but “family-friendly,” as drag queens danced and lip-synched while the children offered them money for their performance like at a strip club.

The above-linked Breitbart article includes photos and videos of the event, exposing the full extent of its perversity.

Parents who take their children to this sort of thing really ought to be indicted for child abuse. But they won’t be. Perhaps the European Union Commission is right when it declares, “The Future is Queer.”

3 Likes
6 Likes

https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/new-haven/police-report-copper-theft-causing-considerable-damage-to-house/

4 Likes

I have a couple of interesting entries for this thread.

First up, what if the Davos Men actually did NOT get vaccinated despite showing us that they were all jabbed?

And there is also this next one. For some reason an Army intelligence/SIGINT collections plane flew from Ft. Hood to San Antonio during the time of the shooting in Uvalde. The time line on this one seems very strange. Also there is some tech stuff for you geeks to sift through.

5 Likes

Of course they didn’t. Experimental gene therapies are for the little people.

There are often anomalies in these high-profile shootings. Remember when the parents of the Sandy Hook kids were caught laughing on camera? It’s not proof of a false flag, but I wouldn’t put it past the U.S. government, which, during the Cold War, earnestly planned to stage terror attacks on its own citizens in an effort to generate public support for an invasion of Cuba.

8 Likes
4 Likes

https://www.yahoo.com/news/attempted-reagan-assassin-john-hinckley-183531960.html

5 Likes

Scientists inadvertently bred a horde of unusually aggressive hamsters after a gene editing experiment to ‘reduce aggression’ went wrong.

The study’s striking conclusions challenge scientists’ understanding of the relationship between biology and behaviour.

The professor added: ‘We don’t understand this system as well as we thought we did.’

6 Likes

Lead researcher Professor Elliott Albers said: ‘We anticipated […] we would reduce both aggression and social communication — but the opposite happened.’ (Emphasis mine.)

Who needs communication, anyway?

6 Likes