Albert Einstein and his Flying Car

This sequence was filmed on the Warner Brothers special effects stage at Warner Brothers in Los Angeles during a Einstein's visit to California in 1931. It has been colourised and re-processed to 4K, 60 frames per second video.

Einstein was not only a film star, but also an inventor. Just a few months earlier, he and Leo Szilard were granted U.S. patent 1,781,541 for the Einstein-Szilard Refrigerator.

4 Likes

Who is the woman with Einstein? Is that his wife Elsa?

All we need is Bugs Bunny appearing and asking Einstein, “What’s up, Doc” to make it perfect.

3 Likes

Einstein, as inventor, had a mixed record. He failed spectacularly in aerodynamics, specifically in airfoil design.

During the First World War Albert Einstein was for a time hired by the LVG (Luft-Verkehrs-Gesellshaft) as a consultant. At LVG he designed an airfoil with a pronounced mid-chord hump, an innovation intended to enhance lift. The airfoil was tested in the Göttingen wind tunnel and also on an actual aircraft and found, in both cases, to be a flop.

As many do, Einstein misapplied Bernoulli’s Principle to flow around a wing. The passage linked above was quoted by Jef Raskin, a computer scientist who did some important work at Apple in the early days.

Poor explanations of what causes aerodynamic lift is one of my pet peeves. Around 2002, I had gotten interested in this topic and came across Raskin’s essay on this. I exchanged a few emails with him, in which he expanded on an anecdote about how he had challenged a teacher about the bogus explanation of aerodynamic lift. Raskin was just told to shut up and got disciplined even though he was right and the teacher was wrong.

It’s a good thing Einstein’s flying car didn’t use Einstein’s airfoil design. Einstein also had crackpot economics ideas but that’s a subject for a different thread.

2 Likes