Arianespace Vega VV23 Launch: Flight VV23 – Golden Horizon | THEOS-2 & FORMOSAT-7R/TRITON

Arianespace plans to launch a Vega rocket from the European Spaceport at Kourou, French Guiana on 2023-10-09 at 01:36 UTC to deliver multiple satellites to a Sun-synchronous orbit of 617×600 km at 97.9° inclination. Total payload mass is 680 kg.

The main payloads are THEOS-2, a high resolution Earth observation satellite for Thailand, and FORMOSAT-7R, a Taiwanese weather satellite measuring ocean winds.

Here is a pre-flight preview from Everyday Astronaut.

3 Likes

The countdown was halted at T−14 seconds due to a fault indication (measurement above maximum threshold) by ground support equipment («Ensemble de lancement»). The next launch opportunity would be on 2023-10-08 at 01:36 UTC, presuming the problem can be resolved in time. I will post the live Webcast for the next attempt in the main post when it is announced.

1 Like

This is a solid rocket except for the upper stage. Thus, a lot less to go wrong than with a liquid-fueled rocket.

2 Likes

There are still components which are checked in the final moments of the countdown. The first stage (P80) has a thrust vectoring (steering) control (TVC) system with electromechanical actuators powered by lithium ion batteries. It is usual to check a TVC system in the last moments before launch, and given that the countdown cut off at 14 seconds before ignition, that would be my guess as to what came in out of specification.

1 Like

I have updated the main post with the new launch date and time and included the libe Webcast player for this attempt.

1 Like