Cataract Surgery and Intraocular Lens Implantation

What is the mechanism behind that?

I also went through about half a diopter per year or so starting around age 13. In law school I finally observed a specific correlation with exam week. The prescription might be generally stable until exam week and there after permanently decay by a quarter of a diopter.

To study for the bar, I used an intact pair of glasses from college. And did not have the expected further decay. I continued to use those or a high school pair (for close-up use) as reading glasses for nearly a decade and then got new reading glasses in a similar prescription similar. Little change in 30 years. Last year, at the suggestion of someone here, I got the ophthalmologist to knock a diopter or so off my distance prescription for the top of a progressive. I wear those as my default glasses to avoid eyestrain.

6 Likes

My observation is that my eyesight varies during the day. When I arise rested, my sight is significantly better than when I test late in the day, particularly if it had been a hard day. Thus, I always went for my flying physical or driving test early in the morning.

I do not know what effects night vision has from fatigue, being accustomed to it, etc. I DO know that when I lost 100 lbs, (a) my diabetes got a lot better (A1C - 5.8) and (b) my eyesight went from 20/40 distant to 20/20. I no longer wear prescription lenses for driving, something I had done since the 60’s.

8 Likes

Yesterday, 2022-10-19, two months after the second lens replacement, I had the definitive eye exam to prescribe glasses to correct residual myopia in both eyes. Over the two months, as expected, the correction for both eyes drifted slowly and a small amount (less than half a diopter) from that measured immediately after the operations The resulting measurement and prescriptions are:

Distant

Sph. Cyl. Axe
OD −0.75
OS −1 −0.75 70°

Reading

Sph. Cyl. Axe
OD +1.75
OS +1.5 −0.75 70°

These are relatively small corrections, and I can, in fact, read, use the computer, and drive without glasses, although the uncorrected vision is imperfect. I will be obtaining separate simple (non-progressive) reading and driving glasses with the proper correction for both eyes.

Going in, this was my prescription for distant vision glasses, made in 2010 and confirmed as unchanged in yearly examinations thereafter.

Sph. Cyl. Axe
OD −10.75 −0.50
OS −9.25 −0.75 60°
10 Likes

John, good to hear it’s been a success! When I had Lasik to correct about 3 diopters of myopia I had them “cut” to focus at ‘infinity’.

How else you supposed to spot “hotties” in the distance?! :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Congratulations and enjoy it in good health!

Curious if you noticed any changes in color immediately after the surgery? Some suggest that older lenses “yellow” over time and once replaced, vegetation and colors in general look more vivid, at least until the brain adapts to the new normal.

5 Likes

Yes, the first thing I noticed was the vivid blues which had been masked by the yellowing of the natural lens. This was particularly evident since I went three weeks between operations on the right and left eyes, and had the difference “right in my face” to compare.

6 Likes