Chinese Spy Balloons

7 Likes
8 Likes

Gen. Glen VanHerck, Commander, North American Aerospace Defense Command and United States Northern Command, Holds an Off-Camera, On-The-Record Briefing on the High-Altitude Surveillance Balloon Recovery Efforts

The transcript is semi-literate, complete with idiot “it’s”, “weighed in access of a couple thousand pounds”, “the C-states wouldn’t allow you to deploy these UUVs”, etc. Maybe they shouldn’t have used the Huawei text to speech app to transcribe it.

STAFF: Let’s go to Mike Glenn, Washington Times. –

Q: Thanks, sir. I was wondering, when are you planning to go (inaudible) –

STAFF: Hey, Mike, you’re breaking up really bad.

Q: I am?

STAFF: Can you repeat that? Yeah, you broke up really bad.

Q: Yeah. When are you going to Congress – God damn it.

Q: Yeah, when are you going before Congress to talk?

4 Likes

There were some sources (of course I didn’t bookmark any) that showed video that looked like the payload rather than the balloon was targeted. Kind of convenient if you didn’t want the wreckage examined or maybe were worried if the attached monkey (why didn’t it just parachute away?) carried a new pandemic virus that only targeted non-Asians.

3 Likes

A Brief History of Shooting Down Balloons

Also see the post on 2022-05-25 about Morrell’s Airship.

5 Likes

The History Guy is a great youtube channel and well worth subscribing to, although I liked it better when it was 5 minutes that deserved to be remembered and before sponsors and merch. Back then we’d watch it while waiting for dinner to finish cooking, today it’s too long for that.

4 Likes

Another:

6 Likes

At least our 5th generation fighters can still dogfight a balloon

5 Likes

firstkill_2023-02-11

6 Likes

RoswellDailyRecordJuly8,1947

6 Likes

We use an F-22 with a $600,000US missile to take out balloons. Wonder what the plan is for Su-57s?

5 Likes

The US announced new sanctions against China on Friday, targeting six companies linked to Beijing’s suspected surveillance program. The move comes after a Chinese “spy balloon” was spotted and shot down in US airspace.

In a statement, the US Commerce Department said the entities were being blacklisted for supporting China’s “military modernization efforts, specifically those related to aerospace programs.” These included airships, balloons and related materials used by Beijing for intelligence and reconnaissance.

The new restrictions will make it harder for the sanctioned companies to obtain US technologies. The targeted entities include Beijing Nanjing Aerospace Technology and China Electronics Technology Group Corporation’s 48th Research Institute.

The Chinese are surely shaking in their slippers.

6 Likes

Yet again?

4 Likes

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Saturday that on his order a U.S. fighter jet shot down an unidentified object that was flying high over the Yukon

This reminds me of that excellent Canadian “Red Green Show” – the time the lads found a missile. They were planning to call the Canadian Air Force, but had to call the US Air Force instead. It was after 5 pm – the Canadian Air Force had gone home. :grinning:

5 Likes
1 Like

Who had this on their bingo card for 2023?

evfs_2023-02-12

6 Likes

How does a balloon or the like get near Qingdao from anywhere other than China itself?

4 Likes

Another?

4 Likes

Zork from the Planet Mork: These people on Earth shoot first and (maybe) ask questions later. No room for life-forms like that in our universe. Disinfect the planet!

5 Likes