Eye Stoppers

Mechanix Illustrated, published monthly from 1928 through 2001, was a delightful source of gee-whiz technology, down-to-earth do-it-yourself projects, and some of the funniest automotive writing anywhere thanks to the incomparable Tom McCahill. (By the way, there is large collection of complete issues of Mechanix Illustrated available at the Internet Archive.)

A regular feature was “Eye Stoppers”, which every month presented a page or two of striking images with brief descriptions. That’s what this Scanalyst topic is about: things you’ve seen that caught your eye and are worth sharing.

7 Likes

Here is more on the Cornsweet illusion.

11 Likes

First hit on the fourmilab.ch Web server:

grail.cba.csuohio.edu - - [03/Dec/1994:00:26:26 +0100] "GET / HTTP/1.0" 200 0 

This was when you could afford to do a reverse DNS lookup on every IP address that accessed your site.

9 Likes

8 Likes

4 Likes

Discovery of the neutron:

One author (James Chadwick), one page, one Nobel prize (1935). Later in 1932, Chadwick published a less tentative paper, “The Existence of a Neutron” in the Proceedings of the Royal Society A. That paper, also by a sole author, was 17 pages and gave a complete description of the experiment and results.

The list of authors on one of the two papers announcing discovery of the Higgs boson is eight pages long.

7 Likes

Here is more on the Church of Saint Sava in Belgrade, Serbia.

8 Likes

The mandir’s construction commenced in 2010. The mandir was built in the Nagaradi style using 68,000 cubic feet of Italian Carrara marble. The marble obtained from quarries in Europe was shipped to Rajasthan, India where hundreds of artisans carved the stones. After the finished pieces of stone were assembled in workshops, engineers sequentially numbered the pieces and shipped them to Robbinsville. Upon their arrival, the pieces were organized using the numbering system to facilitate the mandir’s construction.

The mandir was constructed primarily through the efforts of artisans and volunteers who provided an estimated 4.7 million human hours.

6 Likes

Bing:

Google (a bit earlier in construction):

1 Like

Never change, Microsoft. Here is how this comment was displayed to me.

This is in a browser (Google Chrome), configured for English user interface, with English as the preferred language for Web site communications. So, Microsoft apparently geolocated my IP address, found that it was in Switzerland, and blindly assumed, disregarding the language preference sent them in the HTTP request header, that the reply should be in the language spoken by 65% of the Swiss population, not the 95% of where I actually live.

8 Likes

Actually, this content is pre-fetched by the CH-based server of yours, so we all see it in German :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No, my post was a screen shot so you could see what my browser displayed. If you look at CTLaw’s original comment, I’ll bet you see the Bing link expansion in English.

2 Likes

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 3.44.44 PM

You lost the bet, what do I get? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Which VPN do you use?

Actually, I get the same thing.

1 Like

I get the same German, no VPN at the moment, from Georgia, USA.

3 Likes

Culture Critic has posted an 𝕏 thread, Masterpieces of Art Nouveau. Art Nouveau, is “a nature-inspired, decorative movement which flourished between 1890 and 1910 across Europe and the Americas”. Above is the interior of the Gran Hotel Ciudad de México, built in 1918 when the building was a department store.

This is an elevator at Majolica House, Vienna, dating from 1898.

Below is a chart of inflation-adjusted world GDP per capita from 1820 through the early 2000s.

Why don’t we build beautiful things?

5 Likes

Click to play video in 𝕏.

5 Likes

It’s Hallowe’en time again!

4 Likes

Impressive! Free hand shooting.

3 Likes

Here’s another approach to this:

5 Likes