Fascinating speech by Orban

With a hat tip to Mark Steyn for the link, here is a translation of a significant (but long) speech by Hungarian Prime Minister Orban – ranging widely over international relations, the proxy war in the Ukraine, the folly of the EU, the rise of Asia, and a possible future path for Hungarians. The man makes a lot of sense! Why can’t we have politicians of this caliber in the “democratic” West?

Lecture of Prime Minister Viktor Orbán at the 33rd Bálványos Summer Free University and Student Camp - Orbán Viktor (miniszterelnok.hu)

Lots of fascinating information in his talk. Here is one short snippet for flavor:
It is important that, according to the strategy, we [Hungary] must remain a production hub: we must not switch to a service-oriented economy. The service sector is important, but we must retain the character of Hungary as a production hub, because only in this way can there be full employment in the domestic labour market. We must not repeat the West’s mistake of using guest workers to do certain production work, because over there members of host populations already consider certain types of work to be beneath them. If this were to happen in Hungary, it would induce a process of social dissolution that would be difficult to halt. And, for the defence of sovereignty, this chapter also includes the building of university and innovation centres.

12 Likes

Wow! That’s someone who actually gets it. A far cry from the “right’s” philosophy that you’re doing God’s work if you can squeeze another dime out of it.

5 Likes

I am not sure what you mean. Maybe you mean corporations that try to optimize profits. Maybe you mean the defense of capitalism.

I tried my hand at writing something, but why try to compete with the best.

You may disagree and you may call it the “right”, but I agree 100% with Kipling:

As I pass through my incarnations in every age and race, I make my proper prostrations to the Gods of the Market Place. Peering through reverent fingers I watch them flourish and fall, And the Gods of the Copybook Headings, I notice, outlast them all.

We were living in trees when they met us. They showed us each in turn
That Water would certainly wet us, as Fire would certainly burn:
But we found them lacking in Uplift, Vision and Breadth of Mind,
So we left them to teach the Gorillas while we followed the March of Mankind.

We moved as the Spirit listed. They never altered their pace,
Being neither cloud nor wind-borne like the Gods of the Market Place,
But they always caught up with our progress, and presently word would come
That a tribe had been wiped off its icefield, or the lights had gone out in Rome.

With the Hopes that our World is built on they were utterly out of touch,
They denied that the Moon was Stilton; they denied she was even Dutch;
They denied that Wishes were Horses; they denied that a Pig had Wings;
So we worshipped the Gods of the Market Who promised these beautiful things.

When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: “Stick to the Devil you know.”

On the first Feminian Sandstones we were promised the Fuller Life
(Which started by loving our neighbour and ended by loving his wife)
Till our women had no more children and the men lost reason and faith,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: “The Wages of Sin is Death.”

In the Carboniferous Epoch we were promised abundance for all,
By robbing selected Peter to pay for collective Paul;
But, though we had plenty of money, there was nothing our money could buy,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: “If you don’t work you die.”

Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That All is not Gold that Glitters, and Two and Two make Four
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more.

As it will be in the future, it was at the birth of Man
There are only four things certain since Social Progress began.
That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire,
And the burnt Fool’s bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the Fire;

And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins,
As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn,
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!

6 Likes

I was thinking primarily about outsourcing as a means of optimizing profit without considering the (potentially negative) mid- to long-term effects for the overall health of a nation.

5 Likes

Orbanjugend?

The implementation of this grand strategy – especially the final phase – will certainly not be done by us, but mostly by young people who are now in their twenties and thirties. And when we think about politics, about how to implement such a strategy in political terms, we have to realise that in future generations there will essentially be only two positions – just as there are in our generation: there will be liberals and there will be nationalists. And I have to say that there will be liberal, slim-fit, avocado-latte, allergen-free, self-satisfied politicians on one side, and on the other side there will be streetwise young people of nationalist sympathies, with both feet firmly on the ground. Therefore we need to start recruiting young people – now, and for us. The opposition is constantly being organised and deployed to the battlefield by the liberal Zeitgeist. They have no need for recruitment efforts, because recruitment happens automatically. But our camp is different: the national camp will only come out at the sound of a trumpet, and can only rally under a flag that has been raised high. This is also true of young people. Therefore we need to find courageous young fighters with nationalist sentiments. We are looking for courageous young fighters with a national spirit.

4 Likes

Brave new world!

Huxley must have read this passage!

Edit:
Globalism has been a disaster. It’s one of the fault lines.
Global vs national

A global financial system is more fragile. A global economy is more fragile. The opposite of global is national and resilient!

4 Likes

Outsourcing can be considered a means of optimizing profits or it can be considered an effort to maintain competitiveness. It is probably used in both ways.

I also think you may mean offshoring which is to set up operations in a lower cost country. Even more generally I wonder if you are simply talking about job loss.

Productivity is the key driver for improved standard of living for all. Productivity can be improved in many ways. It can be improved by eliminating none value added work or via automation. It can be improved by insuring the work is done by the most efficient work group. It can be improved by improving the skill set of the current work group. Outsourcing is a method that is used to improve productivity by utilizing the most efficient work group. Offshoring can also be used to utilize the most efficient work group or to eliminate none value added work.

Every method has potential failure modes. If you put resources into improving the skill set of the work group, it can fail. Outsourcing can fail in several ways. One is that the people involved in design lose knowledge on how the item they are designing is put together.

The idea that outsourcing or offshoring is inherently bad because of the loss of jobs is incorrect. Automation eliminates jobs. Should we not automate?

It seems to me that like most things the US population is not educated. Instead they are fed a bunch of malarky that leads to them believing things that actually hurt their long term standard of living.

In the eighties and nineties, corporations were warning that operating in the US was becoming difficult. They warned about the tax structure, the regulator issues, educational issues and labor issues. You can look at California today to see the exact same thing.

Capitalism relies on creative destruction and creative destruction results in short term pain for a few in order to have long term gain for most.

It is easy to blame others for our own failures. It is really easy to blame management and even more easy to blame the unperson called the corporation.

Intel has lost 30% of its revenue in 2 years. They are experiencing creative destruction as AMD designs better chips and sells them for lower prices. AMD uses outsourcing. I believe they use GlobalFoundries that manufactures in the US, Singapore and Germany (not low cost countries by the way). Should AMD be forced to take back the foundries they sold off so that Intel can compete? What should Intel’s management do? Should they simply retain all employees until they need to declare bankruptcy? Or maybe the government should just give them money and retain Intel as a jobs program.

The US will likely fail because the people do not want competition. We have a very high standard of living and want it to get better without any sacrifice. Hiding from competition and preventing creative destruction is firmly ingrained in the US.

Why is it that China has so many domestic car companies? The US car manufacturers have been protected from competition for more than 40 years. If we relied on the big three automakers, we would have the same cars as Cuba.

What was the nations take on a bit of inflation?

How so?

Let me put it another way. Let’s look at where people have skin in the game. What percentage of nationalists are buying US made clothing? What percent are buying US mid sized cars? When given a choice between paying more to buy US made goods, the overwhelming majority of people most often don’t.

Economic nationalism is the height of hypocrisy. If people want economic nationalism, then buy US made products at every opportunity.

People aren’t going to like economic nationalism. We already know this because they don’t want to pay more for stuff. This isn’t theory.

People support economic nationalism because they can convince themselves there are perfect solutions. Everything will be the same, but we will have better paying jobs. Be honest. Some people will have better paying jobs and everyone will be paying a lot more for nearly everything and nearly everything will be poorer quality.

Economic nationalism is simply protectionism in a country that has failed to compete because of protectionism. It is a politician’s sales pitch no different than promising to cancel student loans. It is based on magical thinking which relies on not considering any consequences.

It doesn’t take government action to buy stuff made in the US.

Which one of the below will people buy? The one on the left is made in the US and the piece of shit on the right is made in Asia but is 3 times less expensive. Are people ready to pay 3X for everything. Are they going to get a 3X pay increase? If they do, will the costs of things only be 3X more?

By the way, I can say with certainty that the one on the left is much more competitively manufactured than almost everything else you will buy in the new US.

With regard to global financial stability. Economics is not a stable system regardless of globalization. I don’t disagree that the financial system is a fraud. Fundamentally the financial system is what it is because of politics. It isn’t like we didn’t know what was happening prior to 2008. Even if we didn’t know, we certainly knew after 2008 and didn’t want to fix it.

If we move past the massive fraud of our current system, I think what happens is that a country cannot compete. Times get tougher for the citizens. To keep the monkeys from killing the politicians, the politicians go to war. It isn’t us, it is them. It is no different than the idea that the problem with US manufacturing is that the greedy corporations offshored all the jobs. Regulating the piss out of them, taxing the crap out of them, preventing automation, suing the crap out of them and not feeling as though you had a responsibility to earn your pay had absolutely nothing to do with it.

EDIT: I want to clarify that when I use YOU, I don’t specifically mean any given person and certainly not the reader. I really mean a large portion of people.

6 Likes

By the way I support nationalism in the sense that a nation has the right to protect itself, the people and maintain its culture and core values. I agree with Orban and I think he is right for Hungary. It is a message that the US needed 35, 40 or 50 years ago and one that has to be constantly repeated. I just don’t believe nationalism will fix anything for the US because it actually is no more a nation now than the countries that were made up after WWII such as Iraq.

This is why I support peaceful orderly separation.

4 Likes

Let me clarify: I agree with you about economic nationalism.

But the other extreme is undesirable too. Taiwan is the biggest player in manufacturing chips. It’s too risky to depend on one country, a foreign country, for valuable materials?

1 Like

It is certainly a gamble. But do we even know what gambles we have taken. For example, chips – cutting edge ones are made almost only in Taiwan, but the equipment used to make them is a functional monopoly of a Dutch company – the same Holland whose government figures high in any insanity rating. And let’s not even mention all those Rare Earths for which the world depends on China.

Trivial example – after the Fukushima disaster, it was difficult for a while to get a new car in red. It turned out that every major automobile manufacturer world wide depended on a factory in that area which produced much of the world’s supply of automobile-grade red paint.

If a country wants the economic benefits of inter-dependence, it had better be prepared to pay for them by the sacrifices involved in being a good non-confrontational global neighbor.

2 Likes

The late Mr. Walker was fond of quoting this bit of Kipling. Seeing it now made me sad all over again.

6 Likes

Does the prospect of a vigorous youth who care about their country frighten you? We already know the Regime would prefer a docile and obedient legion of drones to work the factories and menial service jobs.

The Left can’t help themselves; they’re always looking under their beds for Hitler. It is perpetually the 1930s with funny-mustache-man ready to leap out and shout “Boo!”

4 Likes

It does frighten me, as most of such organizations converge to the same. I am actually not aware of exceptions.

I have long been tempted to read The Gods of the Copybook Headings aloud in Quaker meeting.

OTOH, I think Cabal economists and other Koch-suckers must not only lose their sinecures but need to be sent to reeducation camps in the countryside where they can learn more useful trades (e.g. sheep pimp) and become productive members of society.

4 Likes

By “most such organizations” you mean exactly one case: Nazi Germany. Citing Wokipedia for this topic is quite rich.

This was precisely my point. Quoting myself:

4 Likes

This statement is facially absurd. China has the one of the most protected auto markets in the world.

The reason they have so many manufacturers is in that protected market many of the provinces established state owned car companies and subsidized the hell out of them. They then decided to allow Western companies to be minority owners of joint ventures with such companies, but the Western companies had to give up all their technology.

This built up the world’s largest manufacturing base with the world’s largest economies of scale and allowed China to become an export powerhouse. With that manufacturing base and associated talent established, some private Chinese companies have been able to join in. And China has been able to tell the western joint venturers to pound sand.

And by the way, back in the joint venture era, American brand cars made in China sold for substantially more than they did in the US. This indicated that US UAW goon labor was still more efficient than Chinese labor. However, the protected market allowed China to increase its efficiency and they are now basically at the point where they can tell the Western joint venturers to take a hike.

And China still has a protected market and still subsidizes domestic nameplates.

6 Likes

Not necessarily, the Soviet block had similar ones, most notably:

The Wikipedia reference was to describe the general tendency of such movements. Do you question the facts described in this article? If so, can you be specific?

1 Like

So I guess the Boy Scouts are out too. Well, the Boy Scouts of yore. There are no more Boy Scouts. How about the Camp Fire Girls?

The British Air Training Corps, Boys’ Brigade, etc. also too scary. The idea is preposterous that any group of young people who are patriotic and promote their country is out of bounds. It is the dream of the globalist elites who, btw, hate you.

It shouldn’t be necessary to point this out. Wikipedia is well known for selective use of facts and omission of relevant facts or context. Omitting those elements can reverse what can be concluded all the facts.

When it comes to anything that touches on the political, which is almost everything these days, Wikipedia is (at best) a starting point for further reading. It certainly is not an authoritative source.

6 Likes

Nations and nation-states have a right to exist, and to resist those who would deny them that right, particularly those who would invite in invaders, advocate policies that reduce fertility below replacement, or make them dependent on foreign countries. Traditionally, those within a nation who do such things are executed for treason.

4 Likes

Who do I mean by “Koch-suckers”? I hadn’t been aware that Charles Koch in 2019 shifted much of his “philanthropy” to “Standing Together”, whose website is an unending stream of plasticized pablum, vapid buzzwords insulting the intelligence in every sentence. Here’s a sample:

Complex problems require a comprehensive approach. That’s why the Stand Together community partners with a wide diversity of changemakers, including thousands of nonprofit leaders, Fortune 50 CEOs and philanthropists, NFL legends, civil rights leaders, Grammy-winning musicians, and grassroots policy activists.

Who do I mean specifically by “Koch-sucking Cabal economists”? The Mercatus Center, led by grifter-in-chief Tyler Cowen. (Apparently he isn’t part Australian Aborigine, as his appearance might indicate, but mostly Irish.) His blog, Marginal Revolution, might better be entitled “New Frontiers in Treasonous Mediocrity”. Steve Sailer seems to think he’s a “civilized, cultured gentleman”, whose lifelong stated intent to import the Third World is not a central dogma of the religion of which he is a hierarch.

4 Likes