From 1981—A Boom Box that Plays Vinyl LP Records

With the full complement of ten D cell batteries, it weighs a mere 18 kg. There is a switch in one of the foot pads that disables the record player unless the box is sitting on a flat surface, so there’s no grooving to music from grooves while you’re walking down the street.

2 Likes

I have a ton of vinyl discs that I would love to play. The limiting factor has always been not having the expendable cash to purchase a truly quality sound system to fully appreciate the vinyl vs other recording media. Perhaps the keystone to vinyl playback is a real quality turntable, harder and harder to find these days. I suspect this one isn’t all that great, but without more info cannot make such a determination. If, indeed, it is a serious turntable and even halfway decent amp and speakers, much easier to find these days, it might just be a nice thing to have - hopefully at a decent price.

2 Likes

It is very expensive for what it does. The maker of the video paid £500 for his, with a turntable that wasn’t working for reasons unknown (the repair occupies most of the video). Here is a later model (controls on the front, not the top) listed on eBay for US$2,111.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195310143999?hash=item2d796449ff:g:lgMAAOSwbv1jCIBU&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoHkYmcPxgpLE6ElMFJIfy8Ax0yRdAUT%2F%2Bes0wtlecNXG%2BRw%2FLGStVGh8YQlIPwXWVKH4m%2FU8lw8lz2i%2Fmr0rzaGqmyYkm6Aqq3V%2BPJtWIYoHzacJ%2BK8QSwygBfeahD4oWXm6O42ZGzkIe%2BKANIBUYBYDOdtpbbD8KlMfDNT%2BzqyJG7cMznloNDcDnE3cDWxneQ3dw1%2FBUNKU%2FykfUpFPGMI%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4rL5uPqYA

You can do a lot better for much less with a vintage belt-drive turntable, receiver, and speakers that aren’t “portable”.

2 Likes

I have never been particularly interested in portable. Fixed system is the way to go in my mind. I can always listen to music through my hearing aids from my phone.

1 Like

Here is an idea… bonus points for using a Harley Davidson intake valve in the build

The Altmann DIY Turntable (haan.de)

2 Likes