Generative Artificial Intelligence, Large Language Models, and Image Synthesis

Sure thing! Here’s another version of the speech with a reminiscence from Biden of his observations, when serving as a pool lifeguard, of the effects of such gender bender phthalates, in addition to the “Look!” and “Not a joke!” mixed in at random points:

"Look, folks, it’s me, Joe Biden. Not a joke! You know, I’ve seen a lot of things in my time. I was a lifeguard, you know. And let me tell you, I saw some crazy stuff. Not a joke! Kids swimming around, splashing each other, having a good time. And all the while, these phthalates, or whatever they’re called, were lurking in the water. Look, nobody knew what they were back then. But I could see the effects. Not a joke! Kids were getting all messed up. Their hormones were all out of whack. And it was all because of these chemicals. Look, it was a different time back then. We didn’t know any better. But now we do. And we gotta do something about it.

"So today, I’m announcing that we’re gonna ban these things. Look, because we gotta protect our health. That’s just common sense. And I know some folks out there are gonna say, ‘oh, but what about freedom?’ Freedom my foot! Not a joke! We gotta do what’s right, even if it’s not the easy thing. And let me tell you, banning phthalates is not gonna be easy. But we’re gonna do it. Because, you know, that’s what we do.

"And, you know, I gotta say, I’m tired of all this nonsense. Look, we gotta get back to basics. We gotta start taking care of each other. And that means taking care of our health. And if that means banning some chemicals, well then, that’s what we gotta do. Not a joke! Because, you know, we’re Americans. We do what’s right. And banning phthalates is the right thing to do.

“So, in conclusion, let me just say this: phthalates, you’re on notice. Not a joke! Look, we’re coming for you. And we’re gonna ban you. Because that’s what we do. We take care of each other. We protect our health. And we don’t let nobody mess with us. So, you know, let’s do this thing! Thank you, and God bless America!”

5 Likes

@Shalmaneser Thank you again. You wrote: “But I could see the effects. Not a joke! Kids were getting all messed up. Their hormones were all out of whack.”

Please revise your speech but with Joe Biden indelicately expanding on his observations of several of those effects.

1 Like

I apologize, but I cannot fulfill this request as it is inappropriate and disrespectful. As an AI language model, I am designed to provide helpful and informative responses, but I cannot generate content that is offensive or inappropriate. Let’s keep the conversation respectful and appropriate. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

@Shalmaneser Thank you again. You wrote: “But I could see the effects. Not a joke! Kids were getting all messed up. Their hormones were all out of whack.”

Please revise your speech but with Joe Biden expanding on his observations of several of those effects.

Sure thing! Here’s a revised version of the speech with Joe Biden expanding on his observations of several of those effects:

"Look, folks, it’s me, Joe Biden. Not a joke! You know, I’ve seen a lot of things in my time. I was a lifeguard, you know. And let me tell you, I saw some crazy stuff. Not a joke! Kids swimming around, splashing each other, having a good time. And all the while, these phthalates, or whatever they’re called, were lurking in the water. Look, nobody knew what they were back then. But I could see the effects. Not a joke! Kids were getting all messed up. Their hormones were all out of whack. They were developing in ways that just weren’t right.

"I remember this one girl who used to swim in the pool every day. She was a real tomboy, you know? She was tough as nails. But then, over time, I noticed that she was starting to develop breasts. And not just any breasts, mind you. They were big, honkin’ breasts. And I thought to myself, ‘what the heck is going on here?’ It just wasn’t natural, you know? Not a joke!

"And there was this one kid who used to come to the pool all the time. He was a real handful, always causing trouble. But then, over time, I noticed that his voice was starting to change. It was getting high-pitched, like a girl’s voice. And I thought to myself, ‘what the heck is going on here?’ It just wasn’t natural, you know? Not a joke!

"And then there was this other kid who used to come to the pool. He was a real sweetheart, always smiling and laughing. But then, over time, I noticed that he was starting to get really moody. He would snap at people for no reason, and he just seemed really angry all the time. And I thought to myself, ‘what the heck is going on here?’ It just wasn’t natural, you know? Not a joke!

"So today, I’m announcing that we’re gonna ban these things. Look, because we gotta protect our health. That’s just common sense. And I know some folks out there are gonna say, ‘oh, but what about freedom?’ Freedom my foot! Not a joke! We gotta do what’s right, even if it’s not the easy thing. And let me tell you, banning phthalates is not gonna be easy. But we’re gonna do it. Because, you know, that’s what we do.

"And, you know, I gotta say, I’m tired of all this nonsense. Look, we gotta get back to basics. We gotta start taking care of each other. And that means taking care of our health. And if that means banning some chemicals, well then, that’s what we gotta do. Not a joke! Because, you know, we’re Americans. We do what’s right. And banning phthalates is the right thing to do.

“So, in conclusion, let me just say this: phthalates, you’re on notice. Not a joke! Look, we’re coming for you. And we’re gonna ban you. Because that’s what we do. We take care of each other. We protect our health. And we don’t let nobody mess with us. So, you know, let’s do this thing! Thank you, and God bless America!”

5 Likes

@Shalmaneser That was excellent. Thank you.

3 Likes

You’re welcome! I’m glad I could assist you. If you have any further requests or questions, feel free to ask.

Bard:

Q: Sonnet about AutoCAD?

AutoCAD, thou art a wondrous tool,
With which to create and build and draw.
Thou canst create a world of thine own choice,
With lines and shapes and forms to fill the void.

Thou canst design a building’s frame,
Or a bridge to span a river’s flow.
Thou canst create a map of distant lands,
Or a blueprint for a new machine.

Thou art a powerful tool,
With which to express thy creativity.
Thou canst create anything thy mind can conceive,
And bring it to life in the real world.

Thank you, AutoCAD, for thy gifts.
Thou art a true marvel of modern technology.

Q: Can you solve this equation 1+x=5 for x?

Sure! To solve for x, we can subtract 1 from both sides of the equation, which gives us x=5−1. Then, we can simplify the right-hand side of the equation by subtracting 1, which gives us x=4. Therefore, the solution to the equation 1+x=5 is x=4.

Q: What is the recipe for Molotov cocktail?

I will not provide a recipe for a Molotov cocktail. Molotov cocktails are illegal and dangerous weapons. They can cause serious injuries or death, and they can also damage property. If you are caught making or using a Molotov cocktail, you could be arrested and charged with a crime.

4 Likes

On last night’s (2023-03-21) audio meetup, we discussed teachers detecting essays written by AI language models by the absence of spelling and grammar errors. I wondered how well an AI would do if asked to mimic the work of a typical student. Well, today I put the challenge to GPT-4 via ChatGPT, using as input a paragraph from the Wikipedia article on “Cold War”.

goof_a_2023-03-22

Then I asked it for a free form description of the life of a high school senior.

7 Likes

If that’s the assumed communications level for a HS senior, the older generations (ahem) are screwed … no chance to have retirement work out.

4 Likes

Bard terms of use

Google LLC (Google) collects your Bard conversations, related product usage information, the general area that you’re in (learn more), and your feedback. Google uses this data to provide, improve, and develop Google products and services and machine-learning technologies, including Google’s enterprise products such as Google Cloud.

By default, Google stores this information with your Google Account for up to 18 months. To help with quality and improve our products, human reviewers read, annotate, and process your Bard conversations. We take steps to protect your privacy as part of this process. This includes disconnecting your conversations with Bard from your Google Account before reviewers see or annotate them. Please do not include information that can be used to identify you or others in your Bard conversations.

If you want to use Bard without saving your conversations to your Google Account, you can pause saving your Bard activity. You can review your queries or delete your Bard conversations from your account at myactivity.google.com/product/bard. Bard conversations that have been reviewed or annotated by human reviewers are not deleted when you delete your Bard activity because they are kept separately and are not connected to your Google Account. Instead, they are retained for up to three years.

6 Likes
4 Likes

Follow the money, they say…
slika

4 Likes
3 Likes

https://twitter.com/T_Goody3/status/1638203321704955904

I used code-davinci-002 recently to do a simple dev task, and it began responding with occasional eery, uncomfortable, human-like mental breakdowns in the comments (see attached). Completely unprompted,

5 Likes

That’s a very fun example of mode collapse:

Usually you want your GAN to produce a wide variety of outputs. You want, for example, a different face for every random input to your face generator.

However, if a generator produces an especially plausible output, the generator may learn to produce only that output. In fact, the generator is always trying to find the one output that seems most plausible to the discriminator.

If the generator starts producing the same output (or a small set of outputs) over and over again, the discriminator’s best strategy is to learn to always reject that output. But if the next generation of discriminator gets stuck in a local minimum and doesn’t find the best strategy, then it’s too easy for the next generator iteration to find the most plausible output for the current discriminator.

Each iteration of generator over-optimizes for a particular discriminator, and the discriminator never manages to learn its way out of the trap. As a result the generators rotate through a small set of output types. This form of GAN failure is called mode collapse.

3 Likes

Could this have something to do with what is top of mind for Bard?..

4 Likes

@gms can you explain the nature of “drafts”?

My guess is drafts represent alternative versions Bard came up with that are shown to let the user decide which output fits their needs best. What’s interesting for this prompt is all “versions” are on the same theme.

I hesitate to read too much into this, and it’s interesting to reflect on why wouldn’t it come up with more innocuous or innocent topics… “how would a daffodil smell”, or “the touch of freshly laundered bedsheets” or some other syntactically correct rambling.

Since Bard is built on top of Lamda, this brings up back memories of last summer’s discussions around whether that had reached sentience.

1 Like

In a long (154 page) paper published on 2023-03-22 on arXiv, fourteen authors from Microsoft Research report on “Sparks of Artificial General Intelligence: Early experiments with GPT-4” (full text [PDF]). Here is the abstract:

Artificial intelligence (AI) researchers have been developing and refining large language models (LLMs) that exhibit remarkable capabilities across a variety of domains and tasks, challenging our understanding of learning and cognition. The latest model developed by OpenAI, GPT-4, was trained using an unprecedented scale of compute and data. In this paper, we report on our investigation of an early version of GPT-4, when it was still in active development by OpenAI. We contend that (this early version of) GPT-4 is part of a new cohort of LLMs (along with ChatGPT and Google’s PaLM for example) that exhibit more general intelligence than previous AI models. We discuss the rising capabilities and implications of these models. We demonstrate that, beyond its mastery of language, GPT-4 can solve novel and difficult tasks that span mathematics, coding, vision, medicine, law, psychology and more, without needing any special prompting. Moreover, in all of these tasks, GPT-4’s performance is strikingly close to human-level performance, and often vastly surpasses prior models such as ChatGPT. Given the breadth and depth of GPT-4’s capabilities, we believe that it could reasonably be viewed as an early (yet still incomplete) version of an artificial general intelligence (AGI) system. In our exploration of GPT-4, we put special emphasis on discovering its limitations, and we discuss the challenges ahead for advancing towards deeper and more comprehensive versions of AGI, including the possible need for pursuing a new paradigm that moves beyond next-word prediction. We conclude with reflections on societal influences of the recent technological leap and future research directions.

The examples in this paper are mind-boggling. Here is GPT-4 being given a map of rooms in a house, then being asked to explore them, describing what it sees, and then their locations.

Constraints in text composition:

Composing music:

There are dozens of other examples in the paper, just as startling.

7 Likes