Hail Mary: A Novel by Andy Weir

I downloaded the Kindle Version of this book about 24 hours ago. I was completely engaged every moment while reading. Most anything I might say to describe my reactions to it would likely be a spoiler, other than the fact that the protagonist shares many personality traits with “The Martian”; I don’t want to ruin it, should you decide to read it. I will say it was the most entertaining book I have read in some time.

My recommendation: definitely read it.

7 Likes

It is a wonderful story, and accomplishes that rare and difficult task in science fiction of depicting aliens who are drastically different, but neither loathsome enemies nor godlike super-beings. Project Hail Mary is one of those books where you simultaneously hope it’s made into a movie and dread what Hollywood might do to it. Well, we’ll see—MGM bought the film rights in 2020 for US$ 3 million and Ryan Gosling is said to have been chosen to star as Ryland Grace.

5 Likes

Thanks, John, for getting the title correct. In my rush to share the recommendation, I mistakenly shortened the title.

1 Like

It really is a great read. I have one very spoilery niggle with it, but it is very minor. Otherwise it is the perfect novel.

4 Likes

Thank you very much, CW, for your recommendation on Andy Weir’s “Project Hail Mary”. Definitely a can’t-put-down page-turner. Fascinating how much can go wrong on a space mission – and how creative people can be in working around problems. I really enjoyed the book, even though (for my taste) Weir slouches dangerously close to Wokeness in some places. Despite that, it is a novel well worth reading!

4 Likes