Horizontal Directional Drilling—Installing Underground Pipelines without Trenching

6 Likes

This has been one item on my “mysteries of life” list ever since Verizon installed FIOS fiberoptic lines to each home in my neighborhood maybe 15 years ago. I stood there watching, probably with my mouth agape, wondering how they do that. Clever tech. Great video!

3 Likes

My neighborhood underwent a day without water a month or so ago. I thought to ask the poor contractor which company was involved. Long story short: I got 1G fiber in the house today. (:

My nearly-symmetrical bandwidth now exceeds the capacity of my router, as far as I can tell. The hardware installed is capable of 5Gbps symmetric, and that is expected to be available soon.

5 Likes

My middle son is a pipeline engineer. A few years back he explained how this worked when we drove past a crew using this to lay a pipeline under the section of I-45 we were on. He recognized the equipment and told me what they were doing and how.

4 Likes

Footage of directional drilling under a river at Giga Texas:

They are drilling from the east and have pipe stacked up at the west to then be pulled back through.

1 Like