How stupid is Kamala?

added: Plus her mother was a cancer researcher at Berkeley and McGill

4 Likes

Wikipedia says she “led the debate team” at Howard.

3 Likes

The top 25% of Howard are lower than the bottom 25% of Harvard. Much lower.

Section Average 25th Percentile 75th Percentile
Math 593 530 640
Reading + Writing 611 550 650
Composite 1204 1100 1270
Section Average 25th Percentile 75th Percentile
Math 770 760 800
Reading + Writing 750 730 780
Composite 1520 1460 1580
6 Likes

Howard unofficial name is How hard University

Harris then attended Howard University, a historically black university in Washington, D.C. While at Howard, she interned as a mailroom clerk for California senator Alan Cranston, chaired the economics society, led the debate team, and joined Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority.[41][43] Harris graduated in 1986 with a degree in political science and economics.[44] She then returned to California to attend the University of California, Hastings College of the Law (now University of California College of the Law, San Francisco) through its Legal Education Opportunity Program (LEOP).[45] While at UC Hastings, she served as president of its chapter of the Black Law Students Association.[46] She graduated with a Juris Doctor in 1989[47] and was admitted to the California Bar in June 1990.[48]

She passed the California Bar exam!

2 Likes

3 Likes

Suggests she failed the July 1989 and then passed the February 1990.

At that time, it was clearly the toughest graded bar in the country. Also one of the few three-day bars. That made it physically tougher and reduced predictability because the multiple choice part was only 1/3 rather than 1/2 of your grade as in a two-day bar.

Only redeeming factor was almost exclusively limited to general principles of law and not California law (except IIRC, they reserved the right to have one of the two half day practical exercises or six one-hour short essays be on CA wills and estates law). Contrast some other states that had their essays emphasize obscure local laws to make things difficult for out of staters.

In the name of equity, it has been massively dumbed down. Delaware is now likely the toughest graded bar.

With the adoption of the Uniform Bar Exam essay day in addition to the Multi-State Bar Exam multiple choice day state-to state substantive differences have greatly vanished…

8 Likes

“Our ability to reach unity in diversity will be the beauty and the test of our civilization.”
— Mahatma Gandhi

“As long as people can be judged by the color of their skin, the problem is not solved.”
— Oprah Winfrey

“In a racist society, it is not enough to be non-racist. We must be anti-racist.”
— Angela Davis

The beauty of anti-racism is that you don’t have to pretend to be free of racism to be an anti-racist. Anti-racism is the commitment to fight racism wherever you find it, including in yourself. And it’s the only way forward.”
— Ijeoma Oluo

“Race and racism is a reality that so many of us grow up learning to just deal with. But if we ever hope to move past it, it can’t just be on people of color to deal with it. It’s up to all of us — Black, white, everyone — no matter how well-meaning we think we might be, to do the honest, uncomfortable work of rooting it out.”
— Michelle Obama

"For too long politicians told most of us that what’s wrong with America is the rest of us. Them. Them the minorities. Them the liberals. Them, them, them. But there is no them; there’s only us. One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty, and justice, for all. "
— Bill Clinton

4 Likes

3 Likes

90 seconds

2 Likes

Added:
From a friend:
I dealt with a super liberal attorney who lived in Berkeley and was on the Board of a nonprofit client; she worked with Kamala when she was attorney general and thought she was awful — basically a lazy incompetent bully. Also the only California attorney general to fail the bar.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Talking cautiously with my daughter, a public defender and a Prog. She said she’s reading as much as she can to make herself feel better about Harris. She told me Harris opposes the death penalty. So do we! . But I pointed out Harris is certainly NOT anti-incarceration. She said nobody in politics is. I reminded her of Trump’s First Step Act. He really is the onl,y prez who’s done anything about our huge over-incarceration problem. Baby steps!

8 Likes

The Harris who was DA and AG in California is not the same politician today.
She has always been an opportunist.
She has definitely moved left since 2016 and 2020 and I don’t think she is faking.
She is not a moderate hiding behind the veneer of a progressive/Jacobin.

Regarding incarceration, maybe 3 strike was an overreaction to the crime epidemic between 1960 and 1992. But I worry that the pendulum has swung too far in the direction of leniency.
Why did crime increase in the 1960s? Tom Sowell says that we refused to punish criminals, part of the movement to ‘understand’ criminal behavior.

Your daughter is a public defender? If the DA in her county is funded by Soros, she and her colleagues must have the easiest job in the country. What’s the point of a public defender and Gideon if the DA refuses to prosecute felonies?

4 Likes

Which ones should be let go?

• Violent Offenses: 63% of people in state prisons and 7% of those incarcerated by the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP)
  • Property Offenses: 13% of people in state prisons and 4% of those incarcerated by the BOP
  • Drug Offenses: 13% of people in state prisons, 47% of those incarcerated by the BOP, and 21% of those held by the U.S. Marshals Service
  • Public Order Offenses: 11% of people in state prisons and 42% of those incarcerated by the BOP
  • Immigration Offenses: 14,000 individuals held by the U.S. Marshals Service
  • Weapons Offenses: 9,000 individuals held by the U.S. Marshals Service
  • Other Offenses: Not specified, but likely includes a small percentage of individuals incarcerated for miscellaneous offenses

I am for less laws. I am against the idea of not enforcing laws. I think we have all seen the results of not enforcing laws.

6 Likes

There is already a mechanism for solving the ‘problem’ of ‘over-incarceration’.

There are parole boards.

A governor can pardon based on recommendations by state AG.

A President can pardon based on recommendations by DOJ and federal prosecutors (not Marc Rich)

That Marc Rich pardon still bugs the hell out of me.

5 Likes

added: a handful of funny Twitter clips in the article

Veep (HBO) was a great show. People think a comedy can’t be a realistic portrayal of DC.
I always thought West Wing was overrated because it was complete fiction and propaganda. Veep is a mockumentary.

5 Likes

I wonder what the incarceration rate is if you exclude people awaiting trial or being detained (such as a drunk driver). I don’t think the numbers exclude these.

4 Likes

Lemme tell ya, the perspective I get from my daughter’s experience as a PD in Boulder, Co is a tad different from what I read. F’rinstance, only like 3% of criminal cases are ever tried. Well then, they must all be tried in Boulder Co; she has a heavy trial schedule.
She grew up hearing me say: 1 in 20 American adults has hard prison experience. And I’m not talkin’ DUI.
If we didn’t lock up so many non-violent “criminals” we’d have room to secure the murderers.
And, after the spectacle of Trump’s “34 felonies!”, anybody who thinks: “well, they wouldn’t be prosecuted unless there was something there” is an absolute I d I o t.
People have no idea how easy it is to become a criminal defendant. Read Silverglate’s book : 3 Felonies a Day.
And now, the prison industry is being privatized. Great! A powerful industry lobbying for longer sentences, for criminalization of more behavior.

I don’t like it, I wish it weren’t true, but: we are a carceral state.

6 Likes

I didn’t mean to imply that your daughter has an easy job. I apologize for my terrible jokes. If I were a professional comedian, I would have less time for Scanalyst (which is a million times better than Ricochet).

Lot of smokers in Boulder… their favorite brand is not Philip Morris or Virginia Slims.

3 Likes

Boulder as well as Denver grew very rapidly. The question that comes to mind is has the amount of courts grown proportionately? The roads certainly have not.

Last time I looked Boulder was an expensive place to live which makes me wonder how many immigrants have moved there to do the lower paying jobs. It may not be intuitive but expensive cities increase poverty and poverty is associated with crime. Same thing is happening to Bozeman Montana.

Yep. Expensive

• In March 2021, the median home price in Boulder was $1,557,500 (source: “Regional cities set records for median home price; Boulder tops $1.55M median housing price”).
  • As of February 2024, the median sold price for homes in Boulder County, CO was $723.4K, indicating a robust market performance (source: “Boulder Housing Market 2024: Trends and Forecast”).
  • In May 2024, the median home price in Boulder was $969K, up 16.1% compared to last year (source: “Boulder Housing Market: House Prices & Trends”).
5 Likes