Looking back on COVID authoritarianism

Are you actually arguing that excess weight is NOT a major contributing factor?

Age, weight, pre-existing conditions. That doesn’t mean there are no exceptions.

Notice something about the linked list?

6 Likes

I noticed that most of the athletes were older (in their 70s and 80s). Is that what you were referring to? Too bad the list didn’t indicate their vaccination status (although I suppose you can determine with fair certainty that they were not vaccinated if they died before the vaccine rollouts).

5 Likes

Yes. I noticed it in like 5 seconds.

4 Likes

Here’s a younger person from that list:

https://www.olympedia.org/athletes/104603

Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a more recent picture after a cursory search online.

3 Likes

Looks to me she weighted over 3 bills in 2002. 20 years later, I would bet she was pushing 4 to 5.

The turds would hate to shoot down the obvious lie that being obese is healthy so they wouldn’t inform the population that the best thing you could do for COVID was to lose weight. Or maybe we just have a nation with a population that simply cannot be told that they have any issues. Don’t judge me man. Stupid and arrogant isn’t a good combination.

4 Likes

If this isn’t proof that our leaders (both Republican and Democrat) hate us, I don’t know what is. I wonder how many lives would have been saved simply by telling people to lose weight and to ensure that their vitamin D levels were up to snuff—I suspect that would have made a YUUUGE difference—but the good news is that Pfizer and Moderna made a killing, so at least there’s that.

4 Likes

I see what you did there! :grinning:

3 Likes
3 Likes

The table linked in the page cited labels the rightmost numerical column “Era” which I think indicates the beginning of the period those Olympians were active. If you assume athletes were at least 19 when first becoming an Olympian of their era, you could estimate their age at death.

With a conservative assumption that those are deaths in 2021 - because mRNA shots became widely available after that, you can actually estimate age at death for the 101 Olympians.

The distribution does not seem to support the assertion this invalidates the often cited fact many more young athletes in their prime dropped dead shortly after mRNA shots were offered. Average age is 65, standard deviation 15, 0 deaths below 30.

Both the 19 year old assumption and year of death assumption for this back of the envelope analysis are more or less arbitrary, but changing those one way or the other wouldn’t shift the conclusion much.

5 Likes
4 Likes

The one very premature death from Covid-19 I know about was a young man who was masking everywhere, working from home, taking great precaution – getting infected from his careless brother and dying.

The cautionary lesson here is that crude variolation is better than leaky isolation: Smallpox: Variolation

Re @Citizen_bitcoin and Violet Affleck, it’s much smarter to regulate what matters - air quality – not require purchases from a bunch of wannabe purveyors of mysterious technology:

Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 8.40.14 AM

4 Likes

18 trillion?

GDP annual has been 24 to 27 trillion since 2019

18 trillion is 2/3 or 3/4 of annual GDP

18 trillion seems too high

2 Likes

The headline misses out an important point – it was the pandemic response, not the pandemic per se.

4 Likes

Summer of riots after George Floyd hysteria.

I feel terrible for anyone who lost their livelihoods because their place of business was torched and burned down. You never hear about the victims, many are immigrant small business owners from India or Korea.

BLM was exempt from any covid restriction especially for rioting, burning, looting, smash and grab, etc.

4 Likes

Not quite. “Olympians Who Died After Contracting the Coronavirus.” [emphasis added]

A person fond of citing logical fallacies should be familiar with the post-hoc fallacy. Died of covid is not the same as died after covid or died with covid. The Regime made great hay of blurring these distinctions. Disappointing to see it still going on.

6 Likes

Feedback loops matter:
Screenshot 2024-07-12 at 10.52.46 AM

…if you can open the windows. (Nanny state + idiots who leave windows open while AC/heating are working)

3 Likes
3 Likes

There is no question that any health issue that sidelines a super competitive athlete ahead of the Olympics is a massive downer. And I sincerely hope both Neff and Reusser will recover, they are young and have the rest of their lives ahead of them, with many more accomplishments to come, building families, etc.

However, reading up a bit, the association between pulling out of the Olympics and COVID is not there. Marlen Reusser decided not to participate because of several factors including a fracture and infections (she had COVID a few months before the injury) following surgery. By the way, the twitterverse says Reusser is a trained medical doctor. Watch her video speak linked here

Neff explained her breathing troubles date back to at least four years ago (source)

After the race in Nove Mesto, Swiss Cycling named Nino Schurter and Mathias Flueckiger to the Olympic team on the men’s side alongside Alessandra Keller and Jolanda Neff on the women’s team. However, 31-year-old Neff told SRF Schweizer Radio und Fernsehen that she’s been dealing with a breathing issue for the past four years and if she doesn’t figure out a resolution to it in the next two to three weeks, she doesn’t see the point in heading to her third Olympics Games in Paris to compete.

I’ve had the same problem for four years. I don’t know what it is, but I can’t get much air when I breathe. I’ve had corona three times and I don’t know if my lungs have been damaged in any way as a result. I’ve also had severe hay fever since 2016. I had that more or less under control. When everything comes together, I can’t breathe at all.
—Jolanda Neff

Later in the article we learn that her breathing problems unfortunately go back almost nine years ago.

Neff also suffered a life-threatening crash at the end of 2019 in which she partially collapsed a lung. She also told Ross Bell in an interview in 2020 that she got a really bad lung infection in 2015 ahead of the World Championships and her doctor at the time said that “you have the lungs of a seventy-year-old right now.”

Separately, Dr. Perego’s twitter seems to point to an almost ideological attachment to the long COVID “movement” (her words, not mine).

4 Likes