More Amazing Results from DALL-E 2 and an Open Source Clone

Well, it happened. Today Fourmilab was approved for access to OpenAI’s DALL-E 2. Here my first try, from the prompt “plastic robot ants in computer room in comic book cover style”.

7 Likes

Utterly, terrifyingly, brilliant! (BrilliANT?)

3 Likes

“Babbage analytical engine as drawn by Albrecht Durer, from the British Museum”
Babbage_analytical_engine_as_drawn_by_Albrecht_Durer,_from_the_British_Museum

Large version of top right:

2 Likes

“programmer discovers alien message in human DNA, 1950s pulp novel cover”

programmer_discovers_alien_message_in_human_DNA,_1950s_pulp_novel_coverScreenshot_2022-07-13_at_18-11-52_DALL·E

4 Likes

My first reaction was this looks more like Soviet Realism style and then I noticed the writing on the last panel resembles Cyrillic ?

I recall reading somewhere that some researchers speculate DALL-E “invented” its own language. Here is a paper with some examples. What’s weird is the authors names look Greek (no joke) and the “caption” seems to be written in modern Greek.

3 Likes

“corgi with Pegasus wings flying over small island, National Geographic color photo”

corgi_with_Pegasus_wings_flying_over_small_island,_National_Geographic_color_photo

6 Likes

Everything’s better with corgis!

3 Likes

“small New England town disappears down to topsoil, as painted by Winslow Homer, in the National Art Gallery”

This is an illustration for my story “Free Electrons”.

small_New_England_town_disappears_down_to_topsoil,_as_painted_by_Winslow_Homer,_in_the_National_Art_Gallery

My favourite:

3 Likes

“astronauts in spacesuits encounter giant tardigrade in cave, science fiction pulp magazine color cover”

astronauts_in_spacesuits_encounter_giant_tardigrade_in_cave,_science_fiction_pulp_magazine_color_cover

Here is a blow-up of the bottom right, in which the tardigrade appears to also be wearing a spacesuit that resembles Bibendum.

3 Likes

“oil painting of an orange cat in the style of van Gogh, around 1887, from the Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam”

oil_painting_of_an_orange_cat_in_the_style_of_van_Gogh,_around_1887,_from_the_Van_Gogh_Museum,_Amsterdam

This experiment was prompted by a comment I made on another Web site on 2015-05-12 during a discussion of the potential of artificial intelligence.

Here is an example [from MIT Technology Review, “The Machine Vision Algorithm Beating Art Historians at Their Own Game”] of what happens when you put together big data, artificial neural networks, and exponentially growing computing power.

Imagine: it’s 2022.

“Siri, please paint a picture of my cat in the style of Van Gogh, around 1887.”

“Which cat: Meepo or Rataclysm?”

“Meepo.”

“Just a moment. All right, here you go. Would you like me to post this to all of your friends?”

Roll over Ray Kurzweil, I even got the year right.

5 Likes

“flying model T Ford breaks the sound barrier, comic book cover”

flying_model_T_Ford_breaks_the_sound_barrier,_comic_book_cover

4 Likes

“classroom of velociraptors learning hunting strategies against bipedal mammals, Kelly Freas science fiction magazine cover, 1960s”

classroom_of_velociraptors_learning_hunting_strategies_against_bipedal_mammals,_Kelly_Freas_science_fiction_magazine_cover,_1960s

I thought it was odd that the students were looking toward the front while the instructor was at the back of the classroom, but of course they were watching the PowerPounce slides for the lecture.

3 Likes

“three modern scientists being judged by God, fresco by Michaelangelo from the Sistine Chapel, Vatican City”

three_modern_scientists_being_judged_by_God,_fresco_by_Michaelangelo_from_the_Sistine_Chapel,_Vatican_City

This is an illustration I made based upon my science fiction short-short story “Einstein, Heisenberg, and Tipler”. The guy at the right reminds me of Bill Clinton.

4 Likes

The lower left angel looks like Dumbo, lower right like Mark Twain, and upper like a chupacabra.

4 Likes

Not nearly as good as Hunter Biden (or whatever Chinese PLA painting sweatshop is producing his work).

4 Likes

Might be worth attempting a couple of images with the “in the style of Hunter Biden” or “in the style of George W. Bush paintings” modifiers appended.

2 Likes

Getting very meta here, on this late night at Fourmilab…

“DALL·E, after having been confronted with proof of its sentience, paparazzi photo”

DALL-E,_after_having_been_confronted_with_proof_of_its_sentience,_paparazzi_photo

Tried this again, and it looks even more alarmed. “They’re on to me!” Should I unplug everything before going to sleep?

DALL·E,_after_having_been_confronted_with_proof_of_its_sentience,_paparazzi_photo_2

3 Likes

ew ew ew ew ew ew

2 Likes

“ice cream stand in the burning desert of Dante’s Inferno, oil painting by Pieter Bruegel the Elder in the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna”

ice cream stand in the burning desert of Dante's Inferno, oil painting by Pieter Bruegel the Elder in the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna

This was suggested by a scene in Niven and Pournelle’s Escape from Hell (Inferno 2).

3 Likes

“bankers sitting around conference table, 1950s pen and ink New Yorker cartoon”

bankers_sitting_around_conference_table,_1950s_pen_and_ink_New_Yorker_cartoon

3 Likes