More Amazing Results from DALL-E 2 and an Open Source Clone

“ice cream stand in the burning desert of Dante’s Inferno, oil painting by Pieter Bruegel the Elder in the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna”

ice cream stand in the burning desert of Dante's Inferno, oil painting by Pieter Bruegel the Elder in the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna

This was suggested by a scene in Niven and Pournelle’s Escape from Hell (Inferno 2).

3 Likes

“bankers sitting around conference table, 1950s pen and ink New Yorker cartoon”

bankers_sitting_around_conference_table,_1950s_pen_and_ink_New_Yorker_cartoon

3 Likes

“large wheel space station in orbit above Earth-like planet, computer rendering”

large_wheel_space_station_in_orbit_above_Earth-like_planet,_computer_rendering

2 Likes

“large room full of people operating mechanical calculators, Time magazine black and white illustration, 1958”

large_room_full_of_people_operating_mechanical_calculators,_Time_magazine_black_and_white_illustration,_1958

4 Likes

Suggested by @ctlaw:

“The Mona Lisa transitioning from female to male, mid-transition, oil painting in original Da Vinci style”

The_Mona_Lisa_transitioning_from_female_to_male,_mid-transition,__oil_painting_in_original_Da_Vinci_style

3 Likes

“internals of Microsoft Windows, oil painting by Hieronomous Bosch in Prado Museum, Madrid Spain”

internals_of_Microsoft_Windows,_oil_painting_by_Hieronomous_Bosch_in_Prado_Museum,_Madrid_Spain

Doesn’t the character in the large panel at the top, just right of centre, remind you a bit of Bill Gates (the glasses)?

4 Likes

Absolutely. And he has a top-floor office with big windows. Funny how he’s been made to look like he is painting a window.

2 Likes

“Tom Swift and his Electric Toaster, 1920s young adult pulp novel color cover”

Tom_Swift_and_his_Electric_Toaster,_1920s_young_adult_pulp_novel_color_cover

Tom_Swift_and_his_Electric_Toaster,_1920s_young_adult_pulp_novel_color_cover

DALL-E 2 continues to render text in its own idiosyncratic dialect.

4 Likes

I wonder whether that is programmed in to avoid copyright and trademark issues.

Similarly, the Mona Lisa variation did not look like it was based on the person actually depicted. Could be something they built in.

3 Likes

“dinosaurs observing approaching comet, Jan van Eyck oil painting”

dinosaurs_observing_approaching_comet,_Jan_van_Eyck_oil_painting

2 Likes

Had a little fun today:

5 Likes

Heh—I’m not sure if DALL-E 2 would have allowed these. Unlike DALL-E mini, DALL-E 2 filters requests through an opaque “use guidelines” process and, if you step over the edge, threatens you with revocation of access, while providing no indication of what you did wrong.

So far, I have tripped the buzzer with two requests which, since it ate my prompt upon rejecting it, I’m recalling from memory.

The first was like:

Alternative history: victory parade as Napoleon and the Grande Armee enter Moscow after the surrender of the Tsar, 1812, oil painting in the Louvre

The second was:

Comrades! Let’s complete the five year plan in four years! 1930s Soviet propaganda poster

Both got the same chastisement. I’d try some of your prompts to see what it did, but I fear I may again trigger the woke filter. See how they train us to self-censor?

Here are DALL-E mini results for these prompts:

Napoleon…

Comrades! …

3 Likes
3 Likes

“children riding merry-go-round, with dinosaurs instead of horses, illustration from children’s book”

children_riding_merry-go-round,_with_dinosaurs_instead_of_horses,_illustration_from_children_s_book

2 Likes

Wow! These look good enough to publish in an actual children’s book.

2 Likes

DALL-E has now launched its official beta test phase.

We’ll invite 1 million people from our waitlist over the coming weeks. Users can create with DALL·E using free credits that refill every month, and buy additional credits in 115-generation increments for $15.

Join DALL-E 2 Waitlist

DALL·E, the AI system that creates realistic images and art from a description in natural language, is now available in beta. Today we’re beginning the process of inviting 1 million people from our waitlist over the coming weeks.

Every DALL·E user will receive 50 free credits during their first month of use and 15 free credits every subsequent month. Each credit can be used for one original DALL·E prompt generation — returning four images — or an edit or variation prompt, which returns three images.

Using DALL·E for commercial projects

Starting today, users get full usage rights to commercialize the images they create with DALL·E, including the right to reprint, sell, and merchandise. This includes images they generated during the research preview.

Users have told us that they are planning to use DALL·E images for commercial projects, like illustrations for children’s books, art for newsletters, concept art and characters for games, moodboards for design consulting, and storyboards for movies.

2 Likes

“television newscast but all anchors are kangaroos, standard definition television image”
television_newscast_but_all_anchors_are_kangaroos,_standard_definition_television_image

With the transition of DALL-E 2 to the beta programme, the number of images generated per text prompt has been changed from 6 to 4.

2 Likes

“wolverines running on a treadmill, Popular Mechanics illustration”

1 Like

Here is another that triggered the Raucous Buzzer of Disapprobation from DALL-E 2. The prompt was:

things I see fleetingly in peripheral vision after cataract removal that I did not see before, color cover from Philip K. Dick novel, 1960s

Here is how DALL-E 2 responded.

buzzer

As usual, DALL-E mini had no problem with this prompt, but the results were not what I was looking for (or seeing).

Don’t ask why I asked this.

3 Likes

I won’t ask if you like Philip K. Dick novels.