Open thread on Tesla Gigafactory Austin

I expect more news as Tesla ramps up production.

Something tells me Elon Musk wont be firing the people who did this:

https://twitter.com/JoeTegtmeyer/status/1512052158128173064/photo/3

3 Likes

Here is a live stream from Tesla of the Cyber Rodeo, which is scheduled to start at 02:00 UTC on 2022-04-08.

2 Likes

The Model Y color palette, particularly the planned German production, is impressive for its richness.

My historic reaction to someone asking me what color car I wanted reflected some combination of:

1. whatever hides dirt the best;
  2. whatever is easiest to keep cool;
  3. whatever blends best with its touch-up paint; and
  4. whatever reflects cop radar/lidar the least.

But the blue and red (and others to be made in Germany) blow me away.

Tesla should make a commercial showing a young engineer-looking guy with his girlfriend in 1990 buying a car and giving the salesman one of my answers. The girlfriend says something like “You’re just like your father…”

It repeats every few years through the stages in their lives until they take their daughter to buy the Model Y in 2022 and he is all about color.

So proud at how well and fast this plant was BUILT BY TEXANS IN TEXAS !!!

Drone show was mind boggling.

This is just extraordinary.

Note the wink of the eye at DOGE at 15:00 in the replay.

1 Like

Interestingly, it adopts a “warehouse on wheels” (WoW) system with separate storage yard:

Apparently, Berlin and Shanghai rely more on having more loading docks with trailers parked at the docks.

This background is more from the point of view of retail “last mile” delivery where the lot is run by the vendor to deliver to multiple customers rather than by a single customer to receive from multiple vendors.:

2 Likes

From the Google robotranslation:

Until a few years ago, car manufacturers aimed for so-called “just-in-time” delivery in their plants. This means that suppliers should get parts to the factory right on time for production. The manufacturers were able to save storage costs in this way. But now international supply chains are disrupted because of the corona pandemic and the war in Ukraine.

This is one of the reasons why Tesla wants to create more storage space in its GrĂĽnheide plant and store auto parts on it. The rbb learned this on Friday from industry circles. As early as May, rbb reported that Tesla would like to buy 100 hectares of pine forest in GrĂĽnheide in order to set up storage areas there, among other things.

1 Like