Red Tsunami Rising (South Texas Edition)

You say you want a revolution? Well, you know, we all want to change the world. But there are few who can. Last night, Mayra Flores became one of those few.

In an event the historical significance of which can not be stated strongly enough, Mayra Flores, a Mexican-born immigrant daughter of migrant farm workers, won a special election to represent the 34th District of the historically Democratic Rio Grande Valley in Texas in the United States House of Representatives, the first Republican to do so since Reconstruction.

Flores ran on a solidly conservative platform. From her campaign website:

Mayra believes in fortifying our legal immigration system, in securing our borders, lowering the costs of healthcare, lowering taxes, promoting small businesses, and less government. She is a Pro-Life, Pro-Second Amendment, and Pro-Law Enforcement candidate that wants to earn your vote. She is a proud U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) wife and a mother, fighting for a better future for the children of South Texas.

I grew up in Laredo, a city a one hundred fifty miles (give or take) upriver from the heart of the Rio Grande Valley, and just as heavily Democrat. Or was it? In the fall of 1992, during what was my senior year of high school, I worked as a volunteer for the Webb County Republican Party. As such, I attended a number of campaign rallies, one of which featured the incumbent president’s eldest son: George W. Bush. At the time, the younger Bush was a private citizen, not yet having held public office.

Just before the rally began, I somehow found myself standing in a room with Mr. Bush, Bebe Zuniga (the indefatigable Webb County Republican Party chairwoman), and a couple of other people. Suddenly, Bush turned to me and asked “Do you think we can win Laredo?” Surprised by the question, I simply (and honestly) answered “Yes.” “Oh, come on!” replied Bush. Although he said so in a jocular manner, I was quite taken aback. Although Laredo was (and still is) heavily Democrat, it was not liberal. Even then, I was convinced that with some determination and perseverance, and emphasizing issues such as border security and traditional values, the GOP might someday prevail in what seemed a hopelessly Democrat heart of darkness.

In retrospect, it was a brief, but very instructive moment. And quite revealing of the coming divide that would emerge between establishmentarian Republicans and those who support Donald Trump and the populist-nationalist agenda he represents. For decades, we were told by the party establishment that the only way to win Hispanic votes was by pushing amnesty and lax border security. But growing up on the border, I knew better. In all the years I resided there, I never heard one Laredoan express pro-illegal alien sentiment. Winning Hispanic votes in South Texas would involve emphasizing immigration law enforcement and border security.

Donald Trump’s Republican Party embraced that truth.

I recall an old Chinese proverb: “The wise man said it could not be done; the fool came and did it.” The Bushes have long regarded themselves as wise men, and Trump as his supporters as fools. Last night’s election results prove otherwise.

And to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and the Squad: if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao, you ain’t gonna make it with anyone, anyhow.

All right?

9 Likes
7 Likes

So Elon Musk is now a resident of South Texas, living in what will eventually be the city of Starbase? Excellent.

6 Likes