Robert Kroese Launches Kickstarter for New Book Series: “Cross-Time Crusade”

Robert Kroese, author of more than thirty works of science fiction including the wonderful Iron Dragon saga and the Mammon techno-political-economic thriller trilogy, has launched a Kickstarter for his next project, three books (or more) in a series called Cross-Time Crusade, with the first book to be titled Codex Babylon. Click the series title or the image below to view the Kickstarter page, including a video introduction to the project by the author.

crosstime

Here is the plot synopsis from that page.

A secret cabal of demonic forces threatens to destroy civilization and plunge the world into a new Dark Age. Humanity’s only chance is a shadowy organization called GRAIL—the modern day heirs to the Knights Templar—which has discovered the secret to time travel. The past cannot be changed, but if GRAIL can send an agent into the past to recover a lost book on demonology called the Codex Babylon, they may have a fighting chance to save humanity from utter destruction.

The Cross-Time Crusade is a series of books chronicling GRAIL’s efforts to preserve a remnant of humanity from an unstoppable cataclysm. At this writing, three books are planned. The Cross-Time Crusade is more than just a book series, though: it is also a real-world mystery of epic proportions.

The Knights Templar have been shrouded in mystery since their inception. Who were they, exactly? Why was the order formed? What was their role in the Crusades, and what were their relations with heretical groups like the Cathars, the Arabs and Turks who fought with them for control of the Holy Land, and the mysterious order known as the Assassins? What was the reason for their sudden betrayal, persecution and dissolution? Was there any truth to the charges of heresy or worship of a demonic entity called Baphomet? And most pressing, have the Templars survived in some form to the present day?

The Cross-Time Crusade books will provide some possible answers to those questions–but the books are only part of the story. You will be invited to solve some of the mysteries yourself, and if you’re particularly adept, you’ll even get a chance to help shape how future books unfold.

The project is well on its way to being funded: it has raised more than US$10,000 of its US$15,000 goal in just a few days. There are a variety of rewards available for backers, all of which include early access to one or all of the books before they are generally available. The planned publication dates for the three volumes are:

• Codex Babylon: March, 2023
  • Heretic’s Game: July, 2023
  • Militia Dei: November, 2023

and all are expected to be about 300 pages. Robert Kroese usually hits his advance publication dates on the button.

I have backed this project.

7 Likes

Exceeded the goal already.

Thanks for the link.

6 Likes

Looking forward to reading this new series. Kroese is an outstanding writer.

3 Likes

kroese_2023-02-22

4 Likes

I have read Iron Dragon and Mammon series and was very pleasantly surprised. A priori, I was skeptical - to say the least - thinking ‘how is this gonna work?’. Well, it does work and very entertainingly! I regret having missed out on being a supporter.

4 Likes

Codex Babylon is now available for pre-order on Amazon.

5 Likes

Here is a link to pre-order the Kindle edition of Codex Babylon from Amazon. The book is free for Kindle Unlimited subscribers and US$ 4.99 for outright purchase. Paperback and hardcover editions are expected in about six weeks. Book 2, Heretic’s Game, is expected in mid-July.

4 Likes

Codex Babylon was released as a Kindle edition today at Amazon. The book is US$ 4.99 to buy and is free to borrow for Kindle Unlimited subscribers. I’m currently 90% of the way through the pre-publication copy provided to Kickstarter backers and enjoying it very much. Kroese weaves his story around real events and historical figures in a delightfully plausible way and ties in the plot with historical mysteries such as the connection of the Knights Templar with the cult of Baphomet and the Inquisition of the Knights Templar. The author notes that this book ends in a colossal cliffhanger, but the next volume, Heretic’s Game, scheduled for publication on 2023-07-25, is already available for pre-order at Amazon.

codex_2023-03-24

5 Likes

I have my copy of Codex Babylon downloaded, and my pre-order of Heretic’s Game is in. Looking forward to some great reading!

2 Likes

My review of Codex Babylon is now up on the book’s page at Amazon. As of this writing, there are 10 reviews, all five-star.

2 Likes

Volume 2 of the Cross-Time Crusade trilogy, Heretic’s Game,

has been published, right on schedule, on 2023-07-25, initially only on Kindle, with paperback and hardcover editions to be released in the future. The book is available to read for free by Kindle Unlimited subscribers, and may be bought outright in the U.S. Kindle store for US$ 4.99 (price may vary in other Amazon international branches). With the publication of the second volume, the price for the Kindle edition of the first volume, Codex Babylon, has been reduced to US$ 0.99, and it is also available free under Kindle Unlimited.

Codex Babylon is a superb time travel adventure thriller (see my review on Amazon), which ended in a cliff-hanger (or, if you like, pit-dropper). Now the waiting’s over to see what happened next.

5 Likes

Rex is back!

Nearly ten years ago, I published a fun little book called Starship Grifters, which introduced the world to interstellar con man Rex Nihilo and his longsuffering sidekick, Sasha. The reaction from readers was enthusiastic: the book currently has more than 500 5-star reviews on Amazon. NYT bestselling author Hugh Howey called it “Hilarious” and his “favorite read [of the] year.” Over the next few years, I wrote three sequels and a couple of short stories set in the same universe. Then I put Rex, Sasha, Pepper, Donny, Boggs and the gang aside for a few years to work on big, serious sci-fi projects.

With the tenth anniversary of Starship Grifters coming up, I decided it was time to check in on Rex and the gang. The publisher, 47North, was kind enough to relinquish the rights to Starship Grifters, freeing me to release a re-edited version of the book with new cover art. I will be re-releasing one book in the series every month from August to November, 2023, starting with Starship Grifters on August 9. Not only that, but each book will be absolutely FREE on Kindle for a limited time.

If there is sufficient interest, I intend to launch a Kickstarter to fund three all-new books in the series, which will be released in 2024. J.D. Leford, who narrated the three sequels, is currently working on recording Starship Grifters (Kate Rudd did a fantastic job, but we decided it was best if all the books had the same narrator), and she is on board to narrate the new books as well. Over the next few months, I will be doing a bunch of giveaways (ebooks, physical books, and more) to promote the series. Don’t miss out! Click the big orange button below to sign up for updates about the Rex Nihilo Universe now!

Here is my 2018 review of Starship Grifters. The Kindle edition is available now for free for Kindle Unlimited subscribers.

2 Likes

Enjoying Part 2 of “Cross-Time Crusade”…

1 Like

Can’t wait! I’ll get into this ss soon as I finish “Revolutionary Spring”, about 1848.

2 Likes

In comment #12 above, I mentioned that Robert Kroese is re-launching his Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo) series of novels. To celebrate the event, he has re-issued the original book with a new cover, designed by artificial intelligence (Midjourney, as I recall).

Further, the Kindle edition is, for a limited time, absolutely free on Amazon—this is not a Kindle Unlimited rental—it’s free for everybody to own outright. He is also giving away twenty signed paperback editions in a contest on his Web site (shipment to U.S. addresses only).

Starship Grifters is one of the funniest science fiction novels I have ever read; here is my review.

6 Likes