Running an All-Electric House on a 100 Ampere Grid Connection

See the post from 2022-03-29, “Using Air-Source Heat Pumps in Cold Climates”, for more information on heat pumps, which can dramatically reduce electricity requirements for heating compared to resistive heating elements.

4 Likes

“and then they make electricity for decades…”

What percentage of windmills and solar farms between say 15 and 25 years old (a generous definition of the plural “decades”) are still functioning?

Last night I replaced 3 LED lightbulbs that were just over one year old and were listed as having a 13 year lifespan.

5 Likes

And the pointy headed slaver Prog , just giggles to itself about the day it can ration your electric .

3 Likes

A handy chart:
slika

An updated one:
Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 12.17.32 PM
Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 12.18.02 PM

5 Likes

Is this limited to single family residences?

My recollection is that much of LA county is low rise apartment buildings with arrays of unit-specific heat pumps on the roof providing heating and cooling.

2 Likes

The WaPo article offers a neighborhood search - and they used sampling. There are big chunks of LA using electricity (yellow) vs gas (purple):

2 Likes

I lived in a rented house in Torrance in the 70s, gas wall furnace that barely handled 50F outside, and no AC. Our 47N farm is wood with propane backup, although we’re gone in the winter and keep the propain boiler on low, and 60A electric service. The 27N house is all electric with a breadbox sized resistance heater and a big AC and 100K BTU heat pump pool heater and 200A service Pretty close match with the maps

1 Like