Squatted Upon in America

In olden days before porcelain fixtures, one squatted to do one’s business. And it seems we have returned - after a fashion - to those olden days where the average Joe finds himself a recipient, beneath the business end of a squatter. How many ways can the ordinary hard-working citizen be defecated upon by the so-called “rule of law” under which he is forever told he lives?

What a strange juxtaposition. You work to support your family, somewhere between 40 - 60 hours a week, depending. You pay your taxes, federal, state, local and real estate/school - close to 50% of what you earn. You are law abiding. However, as documented in Three Felonies a Day by Harvey Silverglate, on average you commit three felonies a day, completely unwittingly. Should you be so unfortunate as to come t the attention of some petty official, you will feel the full weight of the law. Roll through a stop sign ever so slightly and you will feel the full weight of the law. Fail to report “child abuse” (definition highly variable) - if you are a licensed professional of some kind - the law will summarily lift your license and put you out of work. You didn’t DO it. You just (maybe) observed it and failed to report it. Such is the power of the law - as it is applied TO the law abiding.

Now, suppose said law abiding citizen goes on vacation for a week and locks his house up properly upon departure. He returns home to find an illegal immigrant (it might also be a domestic low life) is now occupying his home. Guess what? In many states, the squatter’s rights supersede those of the homeowner! You’ve probably read about it, it is so prevalent. You go in and change the locks of your own home - and YOU will be arrested! The homeowner are told the police they can do nothing. There’s supposedly no law broken!

Now compare the situations. The law-abiding citizen can be prosecuted at the whim of any bureaucrat or law enforcement type, because there is a rule against virtually everything you may do in the course of ordinary bourgeois life. At the same time, we have no criminal recourse against someone who breaks into and occupies your own home! It is a CIVIL matter, say the police and that means a minimum of $20K in legal expenses and a 2 year wait for “justice” if you’re lucky. I could well take longer.

Now, inventive prosecutors (all of them), when it comes to prosecuting the law abiding, follow the law according to Stalin’s Lavrentiy Berea: “You bring me the man and I will find you the crime”. When it comes to “squatters”, suddenly there is no chargeable crime? what is going on here? Why do obvious criminals’ rights erase those of the law abiding? There is surely some agenda at work here. It is, after all, an obvious invitation to “self-help” and any legal system is designed to obviate such circumstances by criminalizing acts which enrage any lawful community. If someone stole the largest single investment and the shelter I slaved for, for my family, and the police told me they could do nothing - let your imagination loose as to what happens next; it won’t be 2 years in a civil courtroom and forfeiture of scores of thousands of dollars. That, after all, is why anyone agrees to pay (exorbitant) taxes in the first place! To have civilization.

This is not civilization. This is the post modern dis-united States, which obviously does occupy the aforementioned porcelain fixture, even as it swirls, Coriolis-fashion, toward the drain on its way to history’s sewer.

There must be a “progressive” agenda at work here, because the claim that this is not a criminal matter is absurd on its face. Just off the top of my head, since everything material I own is in my house, there has been obvious felony: grand theft by conversion of every item I own - and that’s just for starters. No imagination required, but the police and prosecutors just can’t be bothered to add 2 + 2. There may be prescribed controlled substances in my house. They are now criminally possessed by another. Maybe there are guns, now criminally possessed by another. To say nothing of the theft of the house itself. This situation, where the average guy is at risk of prosecution by merely living his life, yet cannot leave his home unattended for any period of time lest it be “legally” stolen - is beyond third world living. It is chaos. Oh, maybe that’s the point. The Second Amendment has never been more important; the authorities are no longer on your side, unless you are a reprobate, career criminal and/or officially “oppressed”.

11 Likes

I think the law is on our side in Pa. It takes 21 years to establish adverse possession (at least ten even in some urban situations) and, if you ask trespassers to leave, and they refuse, they are then committing “defiant trespass”, and the landowner should be able to arrest them.
Problem is whether the police will be too timid to act on this.
I can see a problem though if they originally came there with landowner’s permission, like to an Airbnb (everybody: pull those ads NOW!) or if they are holdover tenants.
If they have some colorable claim to tenancy, at least you can use the expedited procedures on the Landlord Tenant Act , in small claims court. And if you win the Sheriff will evict.

But I agree with you: this is the most infuriating development so far. And I think it is deliberately being engineered to disabuse us of our despicable attachment to PROPERTY. They’re going backwards: life, liberty, and property: they experimented with and did take away our liberty during the lockdowns. Now it’s property. “You will own nothing, and you will be happy”. I now think that means: “You’ll damn well be ‘happy’ with whatever the state provides for you—because what’s the alternative?”
Even if Trump wins, can this bleak future be averted? I hope so. A faint hope.
And who is this “they”, who’s doing this to us? The WEF, the Davis crowd, our own American Dems? How did they get so powerful? 30 years ago we never could have imagined America would change so much.
We have had the best of it, that’s for sure.

12 Likes

And to think the Founders held that property was among the singularly important items for the government to protect, since it is acquired by the sweat of your brow. Taking it is equivalent to enslavement. Serfs only gave the manor about 20% or what they made/grew.

7 Likes

It’s useful to do some counter-intel:

5 Likes

I am very happy because I think I may have found the germ of my next article here! (My last one was January 2024, on short term rentals, but as soon as one piece comes out I’m a has-been, hafta find a new topic…:thinking:)

CW’s post made me think about squatting in the context of my state’s “castle doctrine”, which gives a homeowner or landowner “justification”, (meaning you won’t be criminally prosecuted) for the use of force in maintaining OR RE-TAKING possession of property in which you have an ownership or legitimate possessory interest. Not “deadly force”; that is never justified in defense of property, but physical coercion short of that.

I think I’ll start with a scenario in which a family comes home after, say, a 3 week vacation and finds somebody else in their Keystone State home. What can they do, on their own? Then I’ll talk about the differences if there exists any colorable tenancy.

I pride myself on my titles, and the editor (usually) lets me keep ‘em. (example: my article on common law marriage is called “Nothing But The Troth”, hee hee! )

So what should this one be called, dear polymaths?

“You Cant Do Squat!” Or “You CAN do Squat!”, depending on the substantive conclusions)—or
“You don’t know squat!” …or
“Squat Happens!” ?

11 Likes

Squat matters

7 Likes

How about

“Keep Calm and Evict On”

“At Bat – Taking a Swing at Non-Violent Evictions”

7 Likes