The Crazy Years

Vertical Farming… lol

“vertical farming” because if you build up rather than out the Sun will oblige you by changing the angle of PAR incidence. And, besides, who needs calories when you can just eat garden greens and extend your life with calorie restriction? Brain take too much power? No problem. Shut it down.

I was dealing with the misallocation of capital to these morons over ten years ago and ended up writing a blog post:

Greenhouses Are Not the Next Green Revolution

The Algasol photobioreactor patent is just one of a list of techs that The Great and The Good, if they were serious about technological civilization’s footprint, would long ago have thoroughly investigated if not invested in. It is all but certain in my mind that the real reason “global change” is promoted as an issue is its promise of centralizing power – regardless of whether it is a real threat.

7 Likes

If the Devil Klaus is for it, you can bet that the problem announced is A) not an actual problem and B) that some monied interest is about to make more money.

6 Likes
4 Likes

Given the mysterious shortages of controlled substance pharmaceuticals, it’s fortunate Jan’s hospice ended in September '22 with her death because nowadays even hospice care is randomly denied access to morphine for patients in the death throes. I say mysterious because, while everyone has an opinion, no one knows what is causing these random “shortages”.

One pharmacist told me this is affecting even antiobiotics and thyroid medications – not just controlled substances!

WTF???

Here’s a theory:

Several years ago I learned that the forward-deployed cartel soldiers on US soil in the guise of “doing jobs Americans won’t do” have a plan for the collapse that involves gaining military control of all pharmaceutical warehouses in the urban areas. With China supplying the raw materials for Fentanyl to the cartels, maybe what is going on is merely a reflection of the increasing control the cartels have over Washington DC. I mean, if your “national security” is more interested in controlling your own population than it is in controlling access to your territory, it only makes sense that the “roll-up of criminal organizations” would, at some point, flip the definition of “criminal organization” so that cartels are doing a roll-up of the criminal government.

Why bother gaining military control of the warehouses if you can get control of the civilian government, start manufacturing pharmaceuticals – all pharmaceuticals with China supplying the raw materials – and force everyone into the formerly black market to legitimize the new, foreign, government?

7 Likes
4 Likes

Turns out the American media attention on school shootings is becoming globalized, with a school shooting that took place in Serbia.

Here’s my diagram for how this works, all the way towards a postal singularity:

Basically, a school shooting is how any 5-cent terrorist can get worldwide media attention. In contrast, if media coverage focused on the first responders, a different type of people would get ideas instead.

Ironically, the shooting happened at the school named after the founder of the main Communist newspaper in Serbia, one that also incited the 90’s Balkan wars.

8 Likes

CNN covered that because the first responder was unarmed and pitted his life against a proven murderer in the process of mass murder. This is not unlike the Hollywood movie trope in which a single heroic individual defeats an entire gang – sometimes an armed gang – in close combat. The message in the former case is that no one needs to be armed – just heroic. The message in the later case is that no one should think about the asymmetric war going on in civilization whereby populations of congenital individualists are systematically digested by populations of congenital collectivists.

9 Likes

Somehow I kind of knew this was going to happen before too long. From Markets Insider, 2023-05-03:

A $1 trillion platinum coin could prevent the US government from defaulting on its debt without making inflation worse, according to Nobel laureate Paul Krugman.

The idea behind the coin is for the Treasury use its authority to mint platinum coins and create one with a face value of $1 trillion that gets deposited at a Federal Reserve account to pay bills while lawmakers remain deadlocked on lifting the debt ceiling.

Some economists have criticized a $1 trillion coin as “unworkable” and an unrealistic solution that could worsen inflation.

“But it wouldn’t be that at all,” Krugman said in a Twitter thread on Wednesday. “The Fed would surely sterilize any impact on the monetary base by selling off some of its huge portfolio of US debt,” he said, suggesting the Fed would likely sell $1 trillion worth of government bonds.

The last time these poindexters floated the idea of a trillion dollar coin (it was proposed in 2011–2012, endorsed then by Krugman [who may be the only person on the economic scene who is more consistently wrong about more things than Jim Cramer—it was Krugman who predicted in 1998 that the Internet would have no greater impact on the economy and society than the fax machine] and Jerry “the blimp” Nadler), the national debt was “only” around 15 trillion, so a trillion dollar coin sounded pretty impressive. Now it’s double that, so maybe they’ll start thinking of making it a fiver this time.

11 Likes

Why does the coin have to be made out of platinum? Is that some sort of inside joke? And if they mint one, why not mint 100? Or a 1000?

7 Likes

They are operating under a provision of 31 U.S. Code § 5112 - Denominations, specifications, and design of coins, which prescribes:

(a) The Secretary of the Treasury may mint and issue only the following coins:

(k) The Secretary may mint and issue platinum bullion coins and proof platinum coins in accordance with such specifications, designs, varieties, quantities, denominations, and inscriptions as the Secretary, in the Secretary’s discretion, may prescribe from time to time.

There are precise specifications for the size, weight, composition, and denomination for all other coins, but since the U.S. did not mint platinum bullion coins at the time, that was left to the discretion of the Secretary. Well, as one of my computer science professors said in 1968, “Give a programmer a glitch and he’ll try to drive a truck through it”, it appears that much the same can be said for crackpot economists and politicians. Platinum is the only metal for which this loophole exists, so that’s what they proposed.

11 Likes

Coins are so old fashioned. How about they mint a plutonium bead with a diameter of about 10cm? It will keep the owner (very) warm.

9 Likes

God save the (yawn) King!

Click the image to view tweet where you can click individual images to expand.

7 Likes

Ahhhh…Twitter Community Notes:

10 Likes

8c5aada7-8286-401d-9095-e4c57813df9d-AFP_33EJ4H4

• Crown — check!
  • Orb — check!
  • Sceptre — check!

Wait! Where’s the Holy Hand Grenade?

10 Likes

With the recent controversy about citizens intervening in criminal behaviour in public, here is a thread about a story from the Before Times. Click image to view the whole thing.

8 Likes

Not to mention rotten eggs, spoiled produce?

Or is HimSelf, spoiled produce?

5 Likes

Here’s a glitch:

The Congress shall have Power … To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

See what this means is that Congress shall have Power to, without going through the onerous procedures to amend the Constitution, to delegate its Power to a bunch of unelected bankers. That’s what it means, you see. And it also means that any Power Congress has, it can delegate to unelected anythings. This was all originally intended by the framers because they originally intended that the Constitution be a living, breathing, spurting bodily fluids into the body politic document!

5 Likes

Not a great look… reminds me of “I’m a celebrity, get me out of here!”

6 Likes

This is not the Comic-Con…

8 Likes
8 Likes