The Crazy Years

A woman was shot in the buttocks by her own gun when she brought it to her MRI appointment, according to a report filed with the Food and Drug Administration.

The unnamed 57-year-old woman had concealed the handgun when she entered the exam room on June 28, with the machine’s magnetic force triggering the weapon to fire. A physician examined her at the site, determining that the entry (in her right buttock) and exit wounds were “very small and superficial, only penetrating subcutaneous tissue.” The patient was admitted to the hospital and discharged when it was obvious she had no serious injuries, according to the filing.

Thank goodness the Food and Drug Administration is on the case!

10 Likes

I wonder. This is the FIRST time I have ever heard of an MRI causing a firearm to fire. ?What would be the mechanism. Surely the magnetic field movement isn’t strong enough to overcome a 3+ lb trigger pressure, else it ought to be moving things like internal staples all over your body I would think.

3 Likes

According to the article, there was an earlier reported case in Brazil which was fatal to the person carrying the weapon, who was not the patient.

A man in Brazil recently passed away of the injuries he sustained in an MRI suite when the magnet’s powerful pull caused his gun to involuntarily discharge and shoot him in the abdomen. After news of the event began to circulate, many questioned how such an accident could occur in an MRI suite in the first place.

Between screenings with MRI techs prior to exams, contraindication questionnaires and multiple warning signs prohibiting the presence of metal near the scanner, how did a loaded gun make its way into an MRI suite?

It is important to note that man involved in the accident was not a patient, but was instead assisting his mother, who was the patient. It also merits noting that the facility where the accident occurred followed safety precautions and screened both the man and his mother for the presence of metal, receiving signatures from both assuring that they understood the dangers of having metal within the magnet’s reach.

The danger of having metallic objects in the vicinity of an MRI magnet, which can have a magnetic field of 3 Tesla or more are well known.

There is also the issue of metal objects turning into projectiles in the suite. There have been several incidents throughout the years in which these projectiles have resulted in serious injury and even death. This is why facilities have restrictions on medical equipment like oxygen tanks, stretchers and wheelchairs in the exam room. MRI magnets are powerful enough to velocitize a steel oxygen tank and send it through a cinderblock wall.

My guess would be that the metallic parts of a striker fired gun, if magnetic, could be pulled by the strong magnetic field sufficiently to cause a discharge, especially in a gun with a polymer frame that did not shield the firing assembly from external magnetic fields. Another possibility is that heating from the magnetic field caused the primer to “cook off”. Heating due to the MRI fields is also a known phenomenon.

But what about less intimidating things like athletic shorts and yoga pants? At first glance, these items seem MRI-friendly, but some could contain metallic threading, which could heat up and burn patients during their scans.

Burns actually are the most common injury that occurs during MR imaging. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, between 2008 and 2017, such burns accounted for 59% of MRI safety events.

8 Likes
4 Likes

Home many pounds of pressure do you think this would take?

7 Likes

Student scholastic performance PISA results are in from OECD:

Does anyone else notice the innumeracy of the creators of this report?

Hint: if you’re going to talk about the impact of school closures, look at the difference in scores between 2022 and 2018.

If anything, this chart shows that numeracy is associated with fewer school closures (because of a better approach in China).

This is good data, though:

Massive drop over the past 5 years:

Here’s an analysis of immigrant performance, where we see high-IQ immigration to Qatar and Arab Emirates – and USA. In contrast, there’s low-IQ immigration to Europe.

A former NYC teacher wrote this:

7 Likes

Fatima Goss Graves, president of the National Women’s Law Center, has trouble defining the word “woman” because “I’m not a scientist”. The bobble-head congressman asking the questions is Paul Gosar of Arizona.

“It is more complex than what you are saying.”

7 Likes

Thanks for this, but I couldn’t bear to watch and listen for even an entire minute.

5 Likes

If I am reading that chart correctly, immigrant children to the US score (even) lower than US-born children. But then the analysts make an adjustment for children who speak a language other than English. As always, the magic is in the adjustments to actual measured data.

The higher performance of immigrant children in the UAE is easily explained – Immigrants who have the status to bring their families are mainly well-educated Indians doing the heavy technical lifting in that country. With professional parents and strong family backgrounds focused on education, it is hardly surprising that their children tend on average to outperform the local children. Nurture over Nature.

8 Likes

Yeah, I try to ignore adjustments and look at the raw data.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Paging Dave Portnoy:

4 Likes

Since Maduro is a leftist, the US leftist media angle is that the invasion is democratic:
Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 4.45.42 PM

Also, the attack on Myanmar…
Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 4.47.38 PM
… is really just a cute little office side project:
Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 4.49.01 PM

5 Likes

I may set up an “alternate government” in my laundry room.
Which country should I choose?

7 Likes

I hear the “United States of America” is in need of one. Are you willing to assume their national debt?

8 Likes

And the purpose is to maximally rape the land.

6 Likes

I not sure my Canon TR7500 can keep up with the printing requirements for the money here.

5 Likes

You may have to make a few design changes in the banknotes.

5 Likes

Maybe we can print “exponent stamps”l , four to a regular stamp size.
Stick them on and your money’s worth more.

6 Likes

Many things are correlated which have no causation relationship. I’ve seen people impute the post-war boom to the fact that all of our customers had their industries destroyed, and once they rebuilt with new factories and new equipment, were better able to compete with us, ending the boom.

4 Likes