The Crazy Years

Leaving France as Western Europe’s only nuclear power.

7 Likes

“The test has reaffirmed the effectiveness of the UK’s nuclear deterrent, in which we have absolute confidence. During the test an anomaly occurred,” he [British Defense Secretary Grant Shapps] added.

An anomaly? What? Some crew member got referred to by the wrong pronoun? Classic demonstration of that famous quote – “It is better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt”

7 Likes

I asked a similar question to a group of Engineers a few years ago that were expressing concerns about water. It stumped everyone.

My guess that a huge population acts as a giant storage tank. 22 million people in Mexico City each holding 20 gallons of water in their body is a pretty significant reservoir. Then assume 60 million gallons per day of consumption. It is either evaporated, exhaled or excreted.

In some large costal cities waste is pumped into the ocean. In some it is treated and pumped into a river. Others, like Phoenix, the water is treated and used to irrigate crops.

Therefore, I presume, a big chunk, ends up in the ocean and in the atmosphere. At first I was skeptical of the city actually having a huge impact of the recharge rate, but I just read that the city was built on the location of a lake that was drained. I think lakes are a huge part of recharging aquifers.

7 Likes

It’s global warming, er, climate change!!!

3 Likes

Mexico :mexico: city altitude is 7200 feet.

One reason why Beamon had the greatest long jump of his life

1 Like

https://x.com/foxnews/status/1762538124066828535?s=46

3 Likes

24 bite attacks from one dog especially German shepherd is extreme negligence.

Biden tried to blame the secret service agents.

The previous dog Major also had to be removed in 2021 because of 6 bite attacks.

The victims should sue Biden for extreme negligence and liability.

5 Likes

I understand this. I agree that there isn’t any option except euthanasia for a dog that bites a person, especially more than once. (That said, in the first instance, there may be extenuating circumstances, such as the person tormenting the dog, or an animal in extreme pain/fear, so this should be investigated.) I stand by my original post suggesting that the dog was being overly protective of a barely above vegetative state owner. Not an excuse, especially for biting more than once. Only a possible explanation.

9 Likes

Understood

I blame the owner

Bad dog owner, bad president, bad person

6 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/02/26/biden-dog-bite-commander-white-house/

2 Likes

Alas, behind a paywall.

2 Likes

Could it really be three different dogs, Master, Commander, and Major, that have all bitten people? It seems highly improbable that someone would own two or three consecutive dogs with aggressive behavior, suggesting that there may be environmental factors at play.

I share your concern that the issue could be related to Biden’s fragility. It’s possible he might have the dog removed from his presence, putting those that have to deal with the dog at risk. Particularly when dealing with a protection dog. While the probability of Biden being abusive is low, he is a weirdo.

This unfortunate situation reflects poorly on Biden for several reasons:

1. Prioritizing his personal preferences over the dogs’ needs. Choosing a protection breed when the President already has Secret Service protection appears more about projecting a tough image than responsible pet ownership.
  2. Falsely denying the dog bite incidents and dismissing them as made up.
  3. Counting on public ignorance by claiming the dog was merely adjusting to new surroundings.
  4. Acting irresponsibly by downplaying the seriousness of a dog biting people.
  5. Repeating the same mistakes.

The fact that this story may not receive widespread attention further underscores the impact of public perception management. If the American people do learn about it, many may not fully comprehend or care about the implications for Biden and his leadership.

5 Likes

https://archive.is/2024.02.27-070137/https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/02/26/biden-dog-bite-commander-white-house/

The White House does appear to be a challenge for dogs, especially German shepherds. Franklin D. Roosevelt’s dog, also named Major and also a German shepherd, bit Sen. Hattie Caraway (D-Ark.) and attacked British Prime Minister Ramsay MacDonald, tearing MacDonald’s pants. President Theodore Roosevelt had a bull terrier named Pete who bit numerous people, even tearing the pants off the French ambassador.

But as I waded through the gory details of all these biting incidents, my empathy for the Bidens faded. Put plainly, these documents are a harrowing narrative of pet ownership in high places run dangerously amok. Two dogs belonging to the same family were both serial biters and had to be exiled. At some point, the trouble is not the animals — it’s the owners.

6 Likes

I posted a link that bypasses paywall

3 Likes

Spot on. Thank you.

4 Likes

Thank you.

I’m also concerned that the dogs were ‘exiled’ and not euthanised.

4 Likes

Imagine the Post making excuses in an effort to rescue Biden. The fact that other people have had dogs that bite, regardless of their role, does not make for an excuse to have your dog bite someone. Are they suggesting I can let my dogs bite others?

Instead the Post could have used the opportunity to educate the public on how to choose a dog.

Protection dogs are not for social situations and require special care with a higher risk of an incident. The bull terroir, like many dogs, needs to be worked. If you do not have the time or the space or the inclination to exercise a dog that needs to be worked, it has a higher probability of an incident.

Given that little bit of information, it is obvious FDR also chose to convey and image rather than be concerned about the dogs, family, friends or associates.

4 Likes

Is this where the Paul Pelosi attacker got his hammer?

9 Likes

I find it very hard to have anything even approaching sympathy for the people of San Francisco. They have been electing the same people who enact the same policies for decades. They have spent much of that time looking down their noses at the rest of the word as they took in billions in taxes from Silcom Valley firms all the time making the city more and more unaffordable and setting the stage or the disaster.

9 Likes
5 Likes