The Crazy Years

And today’s winner:

6 Likes
4 Likes

https://www.reuters.com/technology/openais-sam-altman-launches-worldcoin-crypto-project-2023-07-24/
Blade Runner 2023:

The project’s core offering is its World ID, which the company describes as a “digital passport” to prove that its holder is a real human, not an AI bot. To get a World ID, a customer signs up to do an in-person iris scan using Worldcoin’s ‘orb’, a silver ball approximately the size of a bowling ball. Once the orb’s iris scan verifies the person is a real human, it creates a World ID.

5 Likes

5 Likes

Tylenol overdoses are nasty, as is the Mucomyst used to treat them. I’ve transported a few ODs (retired some years ago), seems like everybody taking mucomyst, even when mixed with Coca Cola, throws it up. If it tastes as bad as it smells…

4 Likes
3 Likes

I would assume that something being illegal offers some deterrent. Anyone can exceed the speed limit at any time, but many don’t because of the fine.

3 Likes

I was just in Florida. They aren’t that bad. Yeah they talk a lot and are constantly moving around, but they know how to have a good time.

4 Likes

No obvious Hunter Biden joke?

3 Likes

Sharks are too respected to compare to bottom feeders.

3 Likes

From another perspective, I’m pretty confident that comparing income to cost of living would be heavily in favor of Detroit. Someone earning $34k/y can easily find housing here… Can someone earning 130k even afford an apartment without roommates in San Francisco, let alone buy a house?

5 Likes

Detroit seems to have only ~40% lower cost of living than, say, Queens in NYC:

4 Likes

Having lived in Miami During the period depicted in the movie Scarface I just today finished watching it again for nostalgia’s sake. I did come pretty close to ending up in a spin-off business from the first electronic newspaper experiment by AT&T and the Miami herald. I will just point out that there is a contentious overlap between New Jersey Capital sources and Miami capital sources. I would have been low on the food chain.

5 Likes

MOST of the time Mucomyst is given IV. It is way better tolerated that way, and you know the person got the right dose (no absorption questions).

Tylenol poisonings are a bummer. because they peak and trough and you can get fooled if you find one later (say day 2) of the cycle, when the lab is normalizing. THEN comes the crash when the destruction shows.

3 Likes

Click the image to read the whole thread on X-Twitter. It gets even more crazy. Here is more from Japan Times.

In Edward Dutton’s 2023 book, Breeding the Human Herd, he notes:

… by 1870 medics [in Britain] were describing a phenomenon that had never been observed to any significant extent before that: hay fever, an allergy to pollen.

He goes on to argue that this is due to malfunction of the immune system due to an increase in mutational load causing genetically-inherited malfunction of the immune system which began when the harsh Darwinian selection of pre-industrial age infant and child mortality was replaced by dysgenic breeding of sub-populations which would have had fewer surviving offspring before.

Unsurprisingly, in that allergies are ultimately caused by an over-active immune system, sufferers will frequently have multiple allergies. And, also unsurprisingly, with the extreme weakening of Darwinian selection pressures brought about by modern medical science, there has been an enormous rise in the prevalence of allergies in recent decades. Around 20 per cent of people in developed countries now have an allergy, and in some developed countries it is as high as 40 per cent.

The number of people admitted to European hospitals with severe allergic reactions increased seven-fold between 2005 and 2015.

Between 1977 and 2007, the number of British children diagnosed with hay fever and eczema trebled.

4 Likes

Where we find:

…Fourth, the goal is completely incomparable with the Government’s own legally binding target to reduce CO2 emissions, as the sudden massive deforestation would mean…

Which leads to my plan for opening a Korean carbon offset scheme on JeJu Island where we plant cedar trees upwind of Japan.

5 Likes

Is this anti-cedar bias related to Carlos Ghosn’s escape to Lebanon?

5 Likes

Too little exposure to beneficial bacteria causes the immune system to be underdeveloped.

Trying to remove allergens is inane. Instead, removing infectious pathogens that trigger allergies would be far better:

4 Likes

Isn’t hay fever for sissies and city slickers?

3 Likes

4 Likes