The Crazy Years

In the internet/social media era, they can easily be infected by locked-down girls in the US and UK with too much time on their hands.

3 Likes
2 Likes

New Zealand with a low infection rate and high investment in C19 prevention, along with much greater proximity to US/UK culture seems to have seen a much smaller rise:

Data collected by the Ministry of Health shows the number of self-harm hospitalisations for people aged 10 to 24 rose from 4274 in the year to September 2016 to 5652 in the year to September 2021 – an increase of almost a third.

1 Like

MPX vaccine comes with a free pass to a private gay bathhouse club.

The small print: Vaccines aren’t effective until 2 weeks after vaccination.

2 Likes
4 Likes
8 Likes
4 Likes

Between the divorce and this, Brady will be playing until 50:

4 Likes

Travis J. I. Corcoran, author of the Aristillus novels, The Powers of the Earth and Causes of Separation, back-to-back winners of the Prometheus Award, and the non-fiction two-volume Escape the City, a practical guide to homesteading, has won a seat in the New Hampshire state legislature.

tjic1

He came in second among four candidates, after another Republican candidate. Under New Hampshire election law, the top two candidates are elected to the legislature.

tjic3

11 Likes
6 Likes

?Is there a retirement.

3 Likes

For NH House reps? No.

1 Like

They did not mention my demonstrated skill in writing COBOL programs that rhyme.

Note that they fill positions for both “U.S. and Silicon Valley companies”.

10 Likes

This was bad when the movie came out and did not age well after:

1 Like

Audience erupts in laughter during Biden speech at COP27 in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt.

It’s not clear what set off the Big Laff Attack. Recall that many in the audience are listening to translations that run a little behind President Ficus mumbling what’s on his 'prompter.

5 Likes

What? What?

Unfortunately, that program, which was written in UNIVAC COBOL while I was working at the Vickers Division of Sperry Rand Corporation in 1972, has been lost in the mists of time. It was a little utility involved in cleaning up database files, and I decided to make it more interesting by making it rhyme.

This is not that difficult, because most sentences in COBOL are written such that the last word is a variable name or program destination which can be chosen by the programmer. Hence, by proper choices, rhyming is relatively easy. Maintaining metre is more difficult, but even so, freedom to choose variable names and the ability to use names as long as 31 characters gives a lot of freedom.

ADD NEW-SALE TO THE-SUM.
    SET SALES-COUNT UP BY ONE.
    PERFORM WE-SOLD-ANOTHER-BY-GUM.
    GO CHECK-FOR-YET-MORE-FUN.

If you’re unfamiliar with COBOL, here is my floating point benchmark, based upon a lens design ray tracing algorithm, written in COBOL.

11 Likes

Great stuff! So the way to get paid for writing doggerel is to stealth it into the requested output.

Gosh, I wish I had been wise enough to figure that out in 1972!

6 Likes

6 Likes

Lockdown-related, anyone?

5 Likes