The Peril of Politicizing Science

Government control over science turned out to be a grand failure, and the attempts to patch the widening gap between the West and the East by espionage did not help. Today Russia is hopelessly behind the West, in both technology and quality of life. The book Totalitarian Science and Technology provides many more examples of such failed experiments.

Today, STEM holds the key to solving problems far more important than the nuclear arms race: reversing climate change, fighting global hunger and poverty, controlling pandemics, and harnessing the power of new technologies (quantum computing, bioengineering, and renewable energy) for the benefit of humanity.

Normalizing ideological intrusion into science and abandoning Mertonian principles will cost us dearly. We cannot afford it.

Anna I. Krylov: The Peril of Politicizing Science, J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2021, 12, 22, 5371–5376

Found via a recent Manifold1 interview.

3 Likes

And yet Russia (population 146 million) graduates around 454,400 engineers per year, while the U.S. (population 331 million) produces 237,800, comparable to Iran (233,695 engineers [70% women], population 84 million).

Now, it’s certain you can’t compare engineers one for one (in my experience, engineers trained in Western Europe and the former Soviet bloc generally know a lot more math than those from the U.S., while U.S. engineers tend to be more comfortable with exploratory engineering and experimentation as opposed to trying to calculate everything from first principles up front) but at some point numbers matter.

One might ask why the U.S. needs to import large numbers of foreign nationals to fill postgraduate positions in engineering, science, and mathematics.

9 Likes

Oh yeah—we landed on the moon with no dept of edumicatuon [sic]

5 Likes

That was what President Eisenhower warned against in his Farewell Address. Ike’s related point was that science even 70 years ago had long since moved past the lone researcher with a blackboard – Science is Expensive!

So the challenge is how to fund science (especially basic science with no prospect of any near or medium term practical applications) while keeping government & bureaucrats out of the loop? Realistically, no-one has ever provided an effective answer to that question. Bell Labs was pretty good, but that was essentially just another form of government control over research,

4 Likes

?How about taking government control out white leaving funding in. This might be like charter schools, where parents/students get to choose, while schools maintain levels of competency by competition for positions - both as professors and students.

3 Likes

It’s not merely a situation of at some point, the quantity of theoreticians overwhelming a lower number of experimentalists. A place like China might produce 2.5 orders of magnitude more than our native theoreticians, but they also produce 1.5 orders of magnitude more experimentalists. Right now, a place like Shenzhen seems the haven for experimentalists that Silicon Valley was in the mid-late 20th century for digital electronics and New York was in the early-mid 20th century for analog.

The only thing the US has going for it in that regard is subsidized shipping from China.

6 Likes

OK, but how do we do that?

Someone would have to decide how much money in total the taxpayer (or these days, the money printer) would devote to science. And then someone would have to decide how to divide that money amongst all the claimants – we could buy a lot of global warming speculation for the cost of a single Super-Conducting Super-Collider. It is hard to see how the insidious role of politicians and bureaucrats could be avoided.

Trying to think outside the box, one approach might be the “cage-match”. Let all the scientists who want taxpayer funding physically fight it out on an annual Pay-per-View TV show, with the winners claiming the spoils – sort of like “Jeopardy”, only with the sound of breaking bones. But that still leaves unaddressed the question of how much money taxpayers would put into the pot?

More realistically, we could change the tax code to let any individual, institution, or business immediately write off 200% (300%?) of their annual expenditures on science and research against their taxes. That would reduce centralized control over the funding process. But it would still require politicians to approve the change in the code and bureaucrats to manage the tax relief claims.

Funding will always be a tough challenge! And it will probably always be political.

2 Likes

Well, government money will require government involvement. As you note, it’s a question of how much and how it’s distributed.

Today “charter schools” get funded by the child. Perhaps the answer is for politicians to argue over how much each child is awarded - and then attach that funding to the child, and let the parent choose where to send the child. Such schemes appear to be quite popular, especially in the lower income classes as they allow parents some degree of choice.

After Katrina, New Orleans was faced not only with having to school all those kids but to totally rebuild the infrastructure of schools as most were totally trashed by the storm. Rather than take on THAT expense also, they decided to move to a voucher system - each child was given X amount of money for spending in school (given to the school, NOT the child or parent). And guess what?! A whole plethora of schools cropped up and began competing for those vouchers. NO child performance on tests rose sudenly from near the bottom to at least midway up the national scale. No “extra” money was spent - it was only spent more wisely.

But teachers unions have long and vociferously fought against voucher systems - probably for just this reason. ?Isn’t it time the people regain some. power and exercise it.

6 Likes

Current issue of Nature (Dec 17 2022 today in London) is very WOKE. Same for Physics Today.
We are lost. It’s Apocalypse Now End Times, but as Tom Lehrer says “We wil all go together when we go.” Our idiot leaders are pushing Putin too far I fear. Why is the West so stupid? Here is why

I can vouch for Yuri as I was in the “thick of it” on what he talks about.

I am in touch with Rick Doty and what he says here needs to be taken seriously in the light of the Pentagon UAP Disclosure starting with the Leslie Kean NYT Dec 2017 article. I was with Kit Green and Hal Puthoff in late Oct 2017 at Bohm Centennial in London when they were part of setting up that NYT article.

I have been asked to do a video podcast on all this to over a million Russians in early 2023 - let’s see if this happens given the war in Ukraine.

4 Likes

Strike “probably” and your statement is Eternal.

3 Likes

Here’s a very good documentary that just came out which might make these practices better known and recognized in the mainstream (I link to the middle where they summarize the disinformation strategy):

(I’m also playing a pun on what politicizing science could mean.)

1 Like

I started on some legislative language to replace the National Science Foundation and other related science agencies with a trust fund dispensed by the holders of patents according to the royalties generated by those patents. But the far bigger problem was not science funding. It was technology funding. Bigger both because more money is involved and because it drives private Capital away from the proper management of risk.

3 Likes

Last year I visited my alma mater. I visited with the Dean of the College of Engineering, toured facilities and discussed requirements and method changes since I attended 35 years ago.

The number of students graduating is much greater and the course work requirements have been reduced. The “weeding out” classes have been eliminated and every effort is made to insure graduation. The rational is that there is such a demand for graduates and many of the students that were “weeded out” can perform adequately in these positions.

This can be debated, but what struck me is the demand. I looked at some data that suggest the amount of degrees earned has been growing between 3 and 4% since 2002. Faster than the economy. Given this and the reduction of industries like mining and manufacturing, I am wondering what is driving this demand in the US? Along with this is the continual argument that we cannot import enough expertise. That we need more H1B visas.

Does the demand from Big Tech dwarf the demand of all the industry that was lost? Is a higher percentage of graduates being dispersed around the world?

Are businesses hiring Engineers for non-traditional roles? Maybe Engineering is being used as the filter for competency given the degradation in all the other degrees? Better to have a graduate from an Engineering program that has lowered the bar than a psychology major with 4.0 that is equivalent of a 2.0 back in the day so to speak.

7 Likes

Most systems collapse if they’re overextended. How many generals failed just because they overextended? How many empires failed because of this?

Academia achieved incredible things, then it became popular, and it too followed the Napoleons and Alexanders the Greats into overexpansion and a resulting shrinkage, fragmentation, or collapse.

The healthy parts of academia (e.g. engineering) should declare independence from all the bullshit programs.

7 Likes

Academic credentials are treated as Life Patents of Nobility in contravention to the US Constitution.

Professional certification is the way to go. But we already have a corrupt Nobility dependent on awarding Patents of Nobility. They are in control of all branches of government and all major corporations via their HR departments. Like the Nobles of old, they collect the equivalent of land rents – positive network externalities of civilization. These economic rents are now harvested in the World Reserve Currency’s demand increase. That demand is from growth in the unfriendly AGI known as “The Global Economy” that turns humans into its Mechanical Turk components. It will take institutions outside those addicted to economic rent to correct the situation.

6 Likes