This Week’s Book Review - A History of the World in Twelve Shipwrecks

Looking for a good read? Here is a recommendation. I have an unusual approach to reviewing books. I review books I feel merit a review. Each review is an opportunity to recommend a book. If I do not think a book is worth reading, I find another book to review. You do not have to agree with everything every author has written (I do not), but the fiction I review is entertaining (and often thought-provoking) and the non-fiction contain ideas worth reading.

Book Review

Sea Bottom Time Capsules

Reviewed by Mark Lardas
April, 7 2024

“A History of the World in Twelve Shipwrecks,” by David Gibbins, St. Martin’s Press, 2024, 304 pages, $32.00 (Hardcover), $15.99 (E-book), $20.89 (Audiobook) $45.95 (Audio CD)

Civilization is driven by commerce and technology. One feeds the other. Historically, much of that commerce has moved by sea. In turn, ships moving cargoes are influenced by their times’ technology. Historian Fernand Braudel called the sea “the greatest document of its past existence.”

“A History of the World in Twelve Shipwrecks,” by David Gibbins, shows how through marine archaeology the sea allows the world’s history to be read. He uses twelve wrecks as a springboard for looking at the state of the world when the ships sank.

He starts in prehistory examining a 2nd Millennium BC Bronze Age vessel. He finishes 4000 years later, looking at a 20th century steamer torpedoed and sunk during World War II. Along the way he stops at ten different places: Ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome, Byzantium, Tang China, the Viking Era, King Henry VIII’s England, the Dutch Golden Age, 18th century piracy, and 19th century exploration.

Each chapter uses a period wreck to examine the ship and the times which created it. Every shipwreck is a time capsule, preserving the history of the period it was built. It reveals goods traded, existing inventions, how people lived and their interests. Diet, living standards, education levels and religious beliefs are preserved in part by the sea, waiting to be uncovered.

This book is also a history of marine archaeology, a discipline which emerged in the last half of the 20th century. Gibbins explains how technologies like the aqualung and remote operating vehicles offered access to previously inaccessible wrecks starting in the 1960s. He describes the growth of underwater archaeology and the increasing sophistication of the technologies used to find and preserve artifacts on the sea bottom.

He also shows how and why wrecks offer special access to history. They sharply define a point in time, and reveal the lives of the individuals involved from a merchant in Tutankhamun’s time to a survivor of a torpedoed ship in the Atlantic.

For Gibbins a renowned underwater archaeologist this is intensely personal story. He participated in many of the expeditions to the wrecks highlighted in this book. He helped making the discoveries and interpreting results. The twelve wrecks explored are highlights of his career.

“A History of the World in Twelve Shipwrecks” is at once a history and an adventure tale. It brings the realities of the past to life, while illustrating the excitement resulting from uncovering it.

Mark Lardas, an engineer, freelance writer, historian, and model-maker, lives in League City. His website is marklardas.com.

5 Likes

Interesting but logical idea. Frankly I never considered the historical record these wrecks could provide. Guess that was mostly from ignorance. I have not read much about modern exploration of sea wrecks, aside from the two diving books, the first the story of the finding and exploration of a sunken U-boat off the coast of New Jersey, and the second the finding of Blackbeard’s wreck in the Caribbean. Both those books were kind of fascinating in their description of the techniques - and dangers - of “deep sea diving”. And they don’t even represent that deep a dive, although in the first one, three men die from issues of depth mismanagement. The U-boat was in 120-130 feet of water - what I wouldn’t. have thought was all that deep. Yet 3 men died from pressure issues, one who drifted off the assent rope and drowned and the other two (father/son pair) who dove in a hurry and used standard mix rather than the West Coast blend they were accustomed to. They both got bent and died. Because of a number of issues the Coast Guard couldn’t get them to a chamber quickly enough.

4 Likes

Any time you are breathing pressurized air underwater there is risk. There is the potential for a fatal embolism even at 15-20 foot depths. (Admittedly low, and you have to do something stupid on top of simply breathing from a scuba outfit - like holding your breath during ascent.) I took an underwater operations course in college as a technical elective for my degree. They didn’t gloss over the risks like they do in diving schools.

As for the value of wrecks, their main value is the knowledge of the period from which they sank. It really is a time capsule. I went into that in some length in Texas Shipwrecks, a book which involved a lot of discussion of marine archaeology.

4 Likes

Seawriter

1d

Any time you are breathing pressurized air underwater there is risk. There is the potential for a fatal embolism even at 15-20 foot depths. (Admittedly low, and you have to do something stupid on top of simply breathing from a scuba outfit - like holding your breath during ascent.) I took an underwater operations course in college as a technical elective for my degree. They didn’t gloss over the risks like they do in diving schools.
………. ]

You have a real point about teaching pressure physiology. What I learned was in the Air Force, where the other end of the spectrum was worried about - decreased air pressure. Fly a C-130 to 24k feet, cruise a bit, then drop to 18k, decompress the cargo bay and have he loadmasters ready, manhandle the payload, and push it off the extended ramp. Then close up, repressurize and climb back to 24k and head to the next drop zone. The AF bends loadmasters more frequently than any other group of people. And loadmasters have figured out the low-level symptoms of the bends, to where they rarely present to a flight. surgeon. And yet 18k’ is just 1/2 atmos. pressure. One doeesn’t necessarily recognize it represents the same relative degree of pressure change as does popping up form 16’ underwater.

I have heard stories of people getting the bends on one of those Caribbean beach vacations, where they go diving one last time in the morning, down to about 40’, then grab their stuff and fly in a small, unpressurized aircraft to the local large airport, where they board an airliner. By the time their back home in the Midwest, their bent.

5 Likes

I’m currently working on a book about B-29 operations in WWII. Decompression was a concern. Although the airplane was pressurized, they gradually depressurized it 30 minutes before reaching Japan and did not repressurize it until the aircraft was feet wet after leaving the Home Islands. They did not want the crew experiencing explosive decompression during combat.

In the day job I review the ECLSS systems for the Lunar Gateway station under development. One of the issues is cabin pressure - which is kept at 9.2-10.5 psi with the crew absent. It is survivable, but undesirable - the equivalent of pressure at 9,000-12,500ft. (O2 partial pressure is increased, so you get enough to breathe.)

5 Likes