This Week’s Book Review - What Price Victory?

Looking for a good read? Here is a recommendation. I have an unusual approach to reviewing books. I review books I feel merit a review. Each review is an opportunity to recommend a book. If I do not think a book is worth reading, I find another book to review. You do not have to agree with everything every author has written (I do not), but the fiction I review is entertaining (and often thought-provoking) and the non-fiction contain ideas worth reading.

Book Review

The Honorverse Sampled

Reviewed by Mark Lardas
March 17, 2024

“What Price Victory?” by David Weber, Baen, 2023, 320 pages, $27.00 (Hardcover), $18.00 (Trade Paperback), $8.99 (Ebook)

The Honor Harrington series featuring a fictional space naval officer from the Star Kingdom of Manticore has been going strong for over 30 years. Set in the far future, it has expanded into the Honorverse, nearly forty linked books.

“What Price Victory?” by David Weber is the latest addition to the series. It is the seventh Worlds of Honor anthology collecting short stories and novella written by Weber and other contributors in the Honorverse.

This volume has five contributions, spread from 16th Century Post Diaspora (which took place roughly 2100 our time) to 1922 PD – a range of 300 years. They also cover different themes; space opera, mystery, and family conflict among them.

“Traitor,” by Timothy Zahn and Thomas Pope takes readers to the early years of the Andermani Empire and a revolt against Gustav Anderman, its founder. It reveals the origin story of Cutler Gensonne, who plays a role in the Maticore Ascendant branch of the Honorverse.

“Deception on Gryphon,” by Jane Lindskold takes place on Gryphon, the third settled planet in the Maticore system, and part of the original three-planet Star Kingdom. Set early in its history, it has a teenage Stephanie Harrington and future husband Karl Zivonik investigate a murder at a Gryphon research center.

“The Silesian Command” by Jan Kotouč is set shortly after the resumption of the war between Manticore and Haven following Operation Thunderbolt in 1920PD. A Manticore naval officer attempts to block efforts to complicate Manticore’s assimilation of part of the Silesian Cluster.

“If Space Cutters Were Wishes,” by Joel Presby revisits Grayson’s egregious Bedlam clan. The point of view character is teenaged Noah Bedlam. Thrust into the position of head of the family at age 14, in this story he is trying to dig his family out of the mess he created at that age.

“First Victory,” by David Weber, explores the early years of the marriage between Allison and Alfred Harrington, Honor Harrington’s parents. It shows Allison trying to develop an identity independent from being a member of Beowulf’s Benton-Ramirez y Chou family.

Those acquainted with the Honorverse will find “What Price Victory” provides interesting backstory. For those who have never read an Honorverse story, is a good introduction to the series. It illustrates the breadth of styles, times, and backgrounds in the Honorverse. Readers do not have to be acquainted with the series. Each story is self-contained and entertaining.

Mark Lardas, an engineer, freelance writer, historian, and model-maker, lives in League City. His website is marklardas.com.

3 Likes