Tilting At the Gigantic Dwarf: Akaike Information Criterion

I’ve been admonished regarding my use of the acronym “AIC” to mean “Algorithmic Information Criterion”.

In defense of “AIC”, and with acute awareness that Akaike Information Criterion has not only occupied that acronym, but is the most widely cited information criterion with the possible exception of Bayesian:

The gold standard information criterion requires Turing complete codes and none of Wikipedia’s 20 information criteria qualify. Even “GIC” (which is not so-listed) for Gold standard Information Criterion yields “Generalized Information Criterion”.

It is no hyperbole to characterize this as a disastrous state of affairs. The veritable explosion of information criteria is symptomatic of an underlying intellectual malaise qualitatively on par with physics getting stuck with ancient Greek kinematic mode of description. Imagine relegating Newton’s dynamics so esoteric as to elicit puzzlement at those “fringe” physicists who insist on it.

Statistics, in accord with the name, rarely ventures into the recurrent (let alone recursive) mode of description required by dynamics hence reality hence the very notion of truth.

Choosing to violate the memetic “turf” of Akaike is not in spite of the fact that it is the most widely cited information criterion, but precisely because it is the most widely cited information criterion. The time is long past-due to put into perspective the entire field of statistical “information” criteria.

“Parameter” counts? Good grief. Give me one “parameter” and I can, with arithmetic coding, encompass the universe.

Every single bit of algorithmic information is a parameter in the Gold Standard.

5 Likes

ss

3 Likes

Uh, yeah, maybe gradient descent but with lossless compression as the gold standard loss function against which other loss functions are evaluated for weaknesess.

This meme is pretty funny since it is arguable that my posting of “The parable of the smart birds” was the origin of the “midwit” meme.

But my midwit meme needs a mean that is more like IQ of 115 to really work and that is on display in whoever concocted this travesty of my meme which, incidentally, evokes this scene from the smart birds parable:

The smart birds of a feather, hearing these doubts raised by the genius birds of a feather proceeded to attack them as “dumb birds”. They felt superior to the genius birds of a feather. Some genius birds of a feather were even injured enough to stop them from being able to fly south.

The point being that these “smart birds” can’t understand the distinction between scientific research and technological development as described in “The Hardware Lottery”. “How To Achieve AI” is more than a technological challenge where you just plow more and more resources into a vague concept of “gradient descent” – you have to have not only a loss function but enough intellectual discipline to engage in scientific research to characterize loss functions against the theoretic best: Algorithmic Information Criterion for model selection.

3 Likes