Trump, please explain 2020!

I feel the same way about me and my political friends. I have a friend who used to be left wing and has done 180 because of covid mandates. He lived in California for 20 years. Now he lives in Texas near Austin. He now wants to leave Austin for some place more rural.

He also has a greater appreciation for federalism and the founding fathers.

He started watching Tucker Carlson and can’t stand Ben Shapiro.

His transformation has been remarkable. The main reason was covid insanity

He still dislikes Trump but will still support him over Biden because Biden is so terrible in so many ways.

6 Likes

While everything you said is factually correct, I don’t believe for a second that all of these entities, if left to their own devices, would have done what they did if it wasn’t imposed on them by some “external force”. In other words, the level of coordination and harmonization of message wasn’t spontaneous or organic.

6 Likes

California is a lost cause.
The organic or spontaneous response was covid tyranny in California.

Los Angeles and San Francisco embraced it

4 Likes

I think you know where I stand on all of this. I’ve completely divested myself of any sense of patriotism or political affiliation…I no longer define myself in those terms. My only hope and faith is in God and my only allegiance is to my family and the decent people around me.

5 Likes

Good strategy

I agree with your priorities.

I forgot to make clear that COVID tyranny was the spontaneous response in California because the state is crazy

I wasn’t trying to dispute your general thesis

4 Likes

In the old days, pathogens were eradicated, not tolerated. Even libertarian thinkers like Hayek understood that well:

5 Likes

Yeah but guys like Hayek never understood what the function of a Declaration of War is and that’s because they never understood the foundation of civilization was not their wishful thinking about “nonaggression”. That fantasy of theirs was interior decoration of a 600M year old cavern of individual sexual aggression between males.

Now we have Trump with his great big beautiful wall and a great big beautiful gate with hoards of legal immigrants coming in to do the jobs Americans won’t do. Never mind that we’ve already lost the cyberwar to India and that it is going to require killing the urban areas – and most of the people in them – to escape this nightmare.

Spengler was an optimist.

6 Likes

What if the dissenting crowd is not small or not a minority?

2 Likes

What if the dissenting crowd was a product of hostile state actors?

And what if someone has been sponsoring extremists on both sides of the political spectrum for a few decades now?

The trend of growing distrust and polarization coincides with the rise of Putin in 1999:

3 Likes

This is priceless. It is the most absurd effort to blame the Russkies since the Russian Collusion hoax.

The number of sunspots at solar maximum has also decreased since the rise of Putin. Coincidence? I don’t think so! Not to worry: the next solar max is predicted to stabilize at about the same level as the last one. Crisis averted! This must mean that Putin will be deposed or die. You heard it here first, folks.

7 Likes

COVID was tolerable. Death rates were exaggerated. Almost every one survived with or without COVID shot or booster.

I got Johnson & Johnson but not by choice in late 2021.

4 Likes
2 Likes

The mortality caused by C19 was underreported. This is the extent of damage:

excess mortality

Now, if eradication was the goal (as it should have been if WHO leadership complied with their own constitution), there’d be 3x fewer lockdowns, and the virus would have never spread outside of Wuhan. Unfortunately, the flu mindset of ‘preventing healthcare meltdown’ was implemented with predictable results.

Let’s see. Did you not claim that Putin was the cause? I quoted your text verbatim. He claim is laughable on its face. Linking to some idiotic ‘fallacy’ web page is not an counterargument.

But, please, continue to provide entertainment. I’m sure everyone is enjoying it. My sincere thanks.

3 Likes

But, hey, one stupid ‘fallacy’ link deserves another. It’s only fair.

You’re welcome!

3 Likes

USA COVID fatality median age was around 80 years.

You have to display age of fatality along with number of deaths

3 Likes

With deepest respect, Eggspurt, let’s try to get a handle on scale.

There are perhaps 9 Billion human beings on Planet Earth, with an average life span of about 70 years. Recognizing that the population average age is skewed lower (outside the under-replacing West), let’s estimate this means a normal annual death toll of around 100 Million people – about 3 people per second.

Our base expectation is that in a normal year, 100 Million people will die from all causes. In the approx. 4 years between 2020 & 2024, that amounts to 400 Million people dying … normally.

Confirmed Covid deaths are listed at about 7 million – a little more than 1% over the expected numbers of deaths in those years. Even using the Upper Bound estimate of around 35 Million extra deaths, that is still less than 10% of the expected total. It certainly was not the Black Death.

Given that there is room for major fudging in the classification of death statistics (80 year-old man with multiple health issues dies – what killed him?), the most likely interpretation is that Covid-19 was just another one of those “Influenza-Like Illnesses” which the CDC has been following for years.

6 Likes

I’ve too been asking for a QALY-based estimate, but some data is better than no data. You can actually calculate the age of death yourself contrasting the excess mortality with the change in life expectancy.

Another indicator is life expectancy, which is beginning to recover, maybe: Life Expectancy Increases, However Suicides Up in 2022

Things would of course be a lot worse without the interverntions countries have taken.

I think this also covers some very valid arguments from @Gavin. As for whether Covid is like flu, well, this we know it’s not:

In part we know it because SARS1 is very similar to SARS2, and China tried to cover it up the first time:

There have been only a few reports in the local media about the current situation of a small self-help group of survivors in Beijing, but not about the majority of SARS survivors. The domestic media reported in 2009 that there were approximately 300 SARS survivors struggling with long-term complications in Beijing; 80% of these were forced to quit their jobs and 60% suffered from avascular necrosis, pulmonary fibrosis, or depression. In the first few years after the SARS outbreak, reports about the aftereffects of SARS were banned in the media. As a positive development later, both the central and local governments became aware of these problems and began taking steps to address SARS-related morbidity and reduce the financial burden on survivors.

I think Umberto Eco had funny terms for types of people. You’ve engaged in category #3, by misinterpreting my distinct statement of correlation (‘coincides’) as a statement of causation. Now you’re doubling down on your error, adding category #2. Your underlying pre-existing condition is probably #4, but from now on I’ll just assume you cover all 4. Bye.

1 Like

COVID deaths were linked with old age and obesity or both

There was also blatant lying about COVID deaths.

Cancer patient dies from COVID.
Gun shot victim dies from COVID.

7 Likes