Ukraine and Russia: War and Consequences

The French sold arms and military toys to Israel during the Suez crisis and 6 day war

2 Likes

And much of the Dimona reactor?

3 Likes

That’s a tough one, maybe

Obama and Biden are stupid and reckless enough to help Iran go nuclear for “civilian” purposes

2 Likes

There’s a great book called Bomb in the Basement talking to the whole process whereby Israel got the reactor to build their arsenal from France.

5 Likes

GI9YUOkXcAIW7gd

“The Capitalists will sell us the rope with which we will hang them.”
― Vladimir Ilich Lenin

3 Likes

“The Capitalists will sell us the rope with which we will hang them.”

The problem is that while we would sell them the rope (and make a profit) they would find that when they had the rope, they had no one who knew how to tie the knot, and when they had someone to tie the rope, they wouldn’t have a scaffold to use for the hanging, and when they had the scaffold, someone would have bribed the guards to let the prisoner go.
:wink:

5 Likes

“There is no greater danger than underestimating your opponent.”
Lao Tzu ― Lao Tzu

7 Likes

I am not sure whether this item belongs under this category or under “The Crazy Years”. Rational analysis suggests the best chance for whatever is left of the Ukraine to survive & prosper would be a UN Mandate installing the Chinese military on that territory to ensure that both NATO and Russia stay out – and to invest big bucks in rebuilding. Thus it is foolish as well as juvenile for the Zelensky regime to insult China.

Of course, this is another one of those items which will never grace the pages of Western news media.

Zelensky’s security chief insults senior Chinese diplomat — RT Russia & Former Soviet Union

Danilov rebuked Beijing’s special representative on Eurasian affairs, Li Hui, on national TV on Wednesday after the diplomat visited Kiev earlier this month. According to Politico’s sources, he “amplified” a message that his government may boycott international talks on the Ukraine conflict, which Kiev wants to convene without Russia in Switzerland.

During the interview, the Ukrainian official angrily declared that it is up to his nation to decide its fate, and not “some Hui, or whatever his name is.” One of the co-hosts smirked and covered her mouth with her hand, reacting to the play on words.

In Ukrainian and Russian, the name resembles a swear word for male genitalia.

6 Likes

The effect of giving a blank financial check to a teenager

2 Likes

I must be missing some details. The west is going to have peace talks with each other? They will agree that Russia will withdraw to previous borders, leave Crimea, Putin to be imprisoned, Russia to pay reparations and provide free nat gas to whomever wants it. Anything else we can add to the peace agreement between ourselves?

Another huge diplomatic win for the Biden administration.

This does belong in the Crazy Years.

6 Likes

There’s always a beautiful dollar, or won, to be made.

To the last Ukrainian!

5 Likes

Definitely the Crazy Years! Strange that much-maligned China is the nation to stand up and say that the Emperor has no clothes – can’t have a “peace” talk when one of the belligerents is not invited. We can only speculate why our idiots in the West are encouraging Zelensky by going along with this pointless stupidity.

My guess is that China – in addition to being apparently the only country with a leadership class with IQs in triple digits and an adequate supply of common sense – wants to keep its hands clean, because they see that the optimum solution to the problem of the Ukraine will be a UN-mandated long-term large Chinese military presence in neutral rump Ukraine to make sure that both NATO and Russia stay out. China is also about the only country that realistically could financially underwrite the reconstruction of rump Ukraine … and China has well-proven methods for dealing with the corruption which is endemic to that sorry place. As for the Europeans waking up to find Chinese missiles on their eastern borders – could not happen to a more deserving group of people.

6 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes

America has no Ukraine Plan B except more war - Asia Times

David Goldman is usually worth paying attention to, since he appears to be the kind of independent thinker who is prepared to speak (or write) fearlessly – the kind of character who is not welcome on the pages of the New York Times.

"Somewhere last weekend a few dozen former Cabinet members, senior military officers, academics and think tank analysts met to evaluate the world military situation. I can say that I haven’t been so scared since the fall of 1983, when I was a junior contract researcher doing odd jobs for then Special Assistant to the President Norman A Bailey at the National Security Council. …

Remarkably, not a word was said about a possible negotiated solution to the conflict. Any negotiated outcome at this juncture would award Russia the Eastern Ukrainian oblasts that it has annexed and probably give Russia a buffer zone reaching to the east bank of the Dnieper River – followed by a normalization of economic relations with Western Europe. …

No one disputed the data I presented. And no one believed that Russia is taking 25,000 casualties a month. Facts weren’t the issue: The assembled dignitaries, a representative sampling of the foreign policy establishment’s intellectual and executive leadership, simply couldn’t imagine a world in which America no longer gave the orders. They are accustomed to running things and they will gamble the world away to keep their position."

4 Likes

Do you remember the Budapest memorandum from 1994?

I know a Latvian fellow who hates Russia. His life mission is to destroy Russia. He was born when Andropov was president or premier or whatever the title was

He actually believes USA is obligated to protect Ukraine because of the Budapest memorandum.

4 Likes

Thank you for reminding me of this.

4 Likes

It’s not a treaty which requires 2/3 majority approval from Senate

2 Likes
3 Likes