Upcoming $101,000,000 Age-reversal X-Prize

I wonder if the bad 12 lead EKG placement shown in the article helps skew his results?

4 Likes
5 Likes

Let me guess what the program includes for the tech girly bros:

1. Tell your blood boy to replace soy with meat.
  2. Have your blood boy lift weights.
  3. Expose your blood boy to women.
  4. If they just cannot drop the soy/vegan lifestyle, blood boy should get on performance enhancing drugs. Arnold doesn’t recommend following his regimen: 100 mg/day testosterone and 15 mg/day Dianabol. Probably about 5x less than he took during his Mr Olympian days.
6 Likes

Hmmm. Sex is a “construct”, but “biological age” isn’t?

3 Likes

Heart like a 37-year old, bones like a 30-year old, bon*rs like an 18-year old, drives like a 90-year old:

4 Likes

Do you suppose they count the rings in his heart to determine its “biological age”? Hell, for the money he’s paying, were I his doc, I would tell him whatever number he wanted to hear. It’s not as though any of this age-assignment of organs is real or quantifiable.

5 Likes

If he believes so much in technology to extend his life, why doesn’t he trust a self-driving car to keep him safe on the highway?

There’s got to be a special kind of regret one can only experience by living all the way to where the telomeres give out, then looking back on the last 122 years or so and realising you spent most of them being miserable in order to reach that age.

7 Likes

Age is subject to evolution. If longevity helped evolutionary fitness, it would have been selected for. But it’s not. Ultimately, what matters is genetic evolution, and bodies are just disposable vehicles for that.

5 Likes

5 Likes

Wonder how these help with aging?
Spotted in an large asian market.
Produce section is interesting.
Seafood has an astounding range of live creatures
Meat and chicken are very intriguing.

3 Likes

The second in your previous post,

is interesting. I assume this is Astragalus extract.

Here is what I wrote about Astragalus in FourmiPharm:

Astragalus extract

I stumbled onto astragalus after discovering that it is the source of TA-65, which is the only supplement of which I am aware which purports to mitigate the inexorable erosion of telomeres, which seems, at present, to pose the ultimate limit on the number of viable cell divisions and hence the lifespan of metazoans. Well, it turns out that astragalus contains a negligible quantity of TA-65: one must process tons of the root to obtain a biologically significant quantity of the TA-65 molecule. But astragalus has long been said to enhance the functioning of the immune system, and since that correlates with just about every other measure of health and lifespan, I decided to include it in my regime.

At the moment, TA-65 is a proprietary preparation available only as part of a clinical trial through a limited number of physicians at an extremely elevated price. I’m sure that once the identity of the molecule in question leaks out, we’ll be able to buy generic versions from China (where astragalus is grown), doubtless enriched with lead, thallium, and other fine ingredients.

Intriguingly, astragalus is suggested (with preciously little hard evidence) to slow the erosion of telomeres which, as I noted in comment #47 above, may set the upper bound on metazoan lifespan.

I still take one pill a day of the stuff.

As to the one before that, is Deer Antler Extract really a “Dietary Herbal Supplement”. If so, are deer herbs?

7 Likes

Deer’s tail extract!?!?!? Hope they’re cleaner than sheep’s tails!

4 Likes

Antler Velvet is quite rich in glucosamine and collagen, and here’s a review of various studies exploring the impact (my hunch is that there won’t be any efficacy to a supplement if someone already gets enough of that through the diet otherwise):

Astragalus is an essential part of my medicinal supply, I use it for an immunity-boosting soup, along with ganoderma lucidum (a great source of triterpenes):

Many of these ingredients prepared in a traditional way makes them far more effective than in the form of capsules, in my experience. For example, triterpenes are fat-soluble, so a broth makes for much better extraction. Traditionally, clay pots would be used since some metals bind to the medicinal substances.

8 Likes

George Church: “We’re developing a technology where we can change all the genes.”

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/bryan_johnson/status/1724449140220866571

3 Likes

From the linked 𝕏 post:

It is unknown if my Dad’s slower speed of aging was due to him removing 600 mL of his plasma or receiving 1 L of my plasma? Or a combination of both?

This is indeed an interesting question. As noted, “Only one biomarker is being evaluated here.” One substantial contributor to aging in older males is an excess of ferritin in the blood. Iron, while a necessary nutrient which can cause anæmia if deficient, accumulates in the body over the years like other heavy metals, and is a powerful oxidant, a cause of many aspects of aging. The normal ferritin blood level for adult males is 40–300 nanograms per millilitre, and tends to grow over one’s life. (Women, for obvious reasons, do not accumulate ferritin in their pre-menopausal lives the way men do continually; typical female levels are 20–200 ng/mL.) Ferritin accumulation is accelerated by a diet including lots of red meat and other sources of biologically active iron.

Men with elevated levels of ferritin are advised to regularly donate blood, which removes ferritin-rich blood and replaces it with freshly-grown blood with lower ferritin levels. Those whose blood is not wanted by blood banks due to their age or other medical reasons can simply have blood drained in a doctor’s office, to be disposed of as biohazard waste.

Now, the father in the report, age 70, may well have had an elevated ferritin level which would have been replaced by plasma donated by the son, who would very likely have a much lower ferritin level. If the biomarker used to measure rate of aging is correlated with oxidative stress, this could explain the observed results. Note, however, that exactly the same result (or better) could have been obtained simply by draining the 600 mL of the father’s plasma and letting his own body replace it, without any transfusion from the son.

If you’re curious about this, particularly if you’re an older male, ask your doctor to include a ferritin test the next time your blood is drawn. It’s inexpensive and interesting to monitor, and if elevated one of the simplest interventions to fix. (The only time I was “bled” for ferritin was two years ago, and it had the desired effect: my ferritin was 646 ng/mL before and 198 ng/mL two years after.)

4 Likes

The efficiency of the intervention hinges on one blood test (source) whose description sounds like woo to this reader. Or, perhaps, a proxy of a proxy.

Our TruAge PACE, at-home epigenetic test analyzes how fast or slow your body is currently aging on a cellular level.

TruAge PACE is the go-to kit for anti-aging enthusiasts who want to track the progress of recent lifestyle, environmental, and medical interventions. It is often used after a patient understands all of the baseline and specific, age-related measurements included in the TruAge COMPLETE kit.

TruAge PACE answers the following age-related questions:

• For each calendar year that passes, how many years is my body actually aging?
  • How long are my telomeres?

On a separate point, interesting to note the mention of the “blood boy” term. Is this a slow start of an effort to popularize the concept?

4 Likes

“Blood boy” is already a thing in Silicon Valley. See the 2017 New Yorker article:

and the May 2017 episode of the TV series Silicon Valley:

which parodied the phenomenon.

Of course, Bryan Johnson, discussed earlier in this conversation:

is the poster boy also tapping the veins of his son.

The boomers have already piled insupportable debt and bureaucratic tyranny onto their progeny that assures them a life poorer and more constrained than their parents’. Why not also suck their blood?

7 Likes

The company has this asset:

5 Likes