Welcome to SCANALYST

SCANALYZER, modeled on John Brunner’s Stand on Zanzibar, surveys the scene under four rubrics: The Happening World, Context, Continuity, and Tracking with Closeups. The main focus is on science, technology, mathematics, space, and aviation, with diversions into many other matters of interest. SCANALYST is the allied discussion forum for those interested in such topics.

5 Likes

This is the first I’ve seen any mention of Stand on Zanzibar by anyone. I read it many years ago, but I think the Brunner book most relevant to today is The Sheep Look Up. That one gave me nightmares. Thanks for inviting me, John!

6 Likes

Yes, The Sheep Look Up was truly disturbing. Flashback by Dan Simmons (published in 2011) was similarly unnerving.

2 Likes

Yes, I remember that in our innocence, we had to read books to experience dystopia. Now, we only need to be exposed to the “news” for a few seconds. I used to ponder the question of whether or not we are living in a simulation. That has been supplanted by knowing we are actually living in Kafka.

7 Likes

Thank you for the invitation. May you continue to enjoy running Discourse. It works slick so far!

Hello to everybody.

6 Likes

Hello to everyone! It’s great to be among the enlightened.

5 Likes

Thank you, STAND ON ZANZIBAR is now on my reading list. Note Thriftbooks lists it for $18 minimum, which is high for a used book.

4 Likes

Stand on Zanzibar is currently in print. It is available in paperback for US$ 23.99 and Kindle for US$ 12.99 from Amazon. I re-read the Kindle edition in May 2020 and it was fine.

4 Likes

Welcome Jzdro! I’ve missed you!

3 Likes

Hallo, Hypatia! Thank you. I have missed you, too, and am glad to be here.

3 Likes