What Do We Really Know About Taiwan?

The corrupt politicians & their bureaucrats who rule over us in this oligarchy known as our “democracy” have apparently decided that war with China is necessary – even though China provides much of the material goods and the financial loans that keep the de-industrialized bankrupt US staggering on. Their chosen casus belli is apparently the status of Taiwan – better Dead Americans than Red Taiwanese, they seem to think. But what about the people of Taiwan? What do we really know about them?

I have been in less-fashionable Western China (and was rather impressed), but have never set foot in Taiwan. One possible approach to learning about Taiwan – faut de mieux – might be to look at accessible popular culture. And it would be a challenge to find an element of Taiwanese culture currently more popular than the TV serial “Someday or One Day”, which garnered sufficient enthusiasm in Taiwan to spawn a recent follow-up movie of the same name.

The telenovela matches Chinese practice in its length – 13 episodes of about 75 minutes each – and might seem slow by Western standards. The protagonist is a successful hard-charging 27-year-old female project leader in the IT industry in Taipei (Taiwan). However, as the plot unrolls, we learn that her personal life is a mess. Two years earlier, she had dumped her long-term boyfriend to take a promotion to the company’s business in Shanghai (China). Her forsaken boyfriend had tried to pursue her to China, but the plane on which he was travelling tragically crashed into the Taiwan Strait with the loss of all on board … although his body was never found.

Wracked by guilt and remorse, she returned to her old job in Taipei, obsessed with the hope that her former boyfriend was somehow still alive. In searching, she found a photo taken 20 years earlier showing a 17-year-old girl who looked exactly like her with two teenage boys, one of whom looked exactly like her lost boyfriend. The 27-year-old protagonist began to have dreams in which she was that 17-year-old girl. Or were they really dreams?

IMDB lists this telenovela under “Drama, Romance, Sci-Fi”. It is all of those, and much more: humor, pathos, familial issues, disabilities, male bonding, murders, suicides, unexpected plot twists. The tale even manages to touch upon homosexuality, menstruation, and masturbation. It is well made, with good production values and fine performances from the actors, including from minor characters such as the outrageous Dog Whisperer and the elegant lady Police Chief. Here is the somewhat allegorical opening title sequence:

I found the plot to be strangely compelling, albeit there is room for debate about the ending. But my initial objective had been to look at the Taiwanese backgrounds to the action.

Of course, this is a TV program, and there is likely to have been some sanitization of the settings. Nevertheless, the backgrounds show Taiwan as a well-ordered society – with clean streets free from litter, graffiti, and street people, and with comfortable public transport. A major setting is a high school where teenage students wear school uniforms, bow to their teachers, and suffer corporal punishment for egregious breaches of the rules. Other settings include respectful funerals; efficient hospitals; a glittering university where students support themselves by working part-time; a civilized prison; a compassionate psychiatric care facility; and, in true Chinese fashion, a plethora of eating establishments, from roadside vendors to an upscale restaurant.

In short, life for people in Taiwan looks rather similar to life in China. Surprised? Taiwan clearly has much more in common with nearby mainland China than with far-off decadent Western “democracies”. Perhaps it would be better for those who rule over us to step back and leave Taiwan’s future to decisions of the Taiwanese people themselves.

5 Likes

If the decisions of the Taiwanese people are reflected in the priorities of their government, it doesn’t seem as if they’re unduly worried about conflict. According to Taiwan News:

This compares to the 3.5% of GDP the U.S. spends on defence, or the 4.5% spent by Israel. Taiwan, with a population of 23.8 million, maintains military forces with 215,000 active personnel and 2.3 million in reserve. This compares to Israel, which has 169,500 on active duty, 465,000 in reserve, and 1.55 million males available for service—but this is in a country with a population of 9.8 million.

And, however precarious Israel’s strategic situation may be, none of its adversaries are remotely as formidable as China.

3 Likes

I read not long ago that there is a not insignificant level of desire for reunification among the Taiwanese. If memory serves, there was even a faction of the Kuomintang - Chaing Kai-shek’s original nationalist party favoring reunification. Would anyone be shocked it US policy conflicted with Taiwan’s population?

3 Likes

Civilwestman:

I read not long ago that there is a not insignificant level of desire for reunification among the Taiwanese.

This may depend on your definition of “not insignificant”. My Taiwanese wife believes that about 70% of the adult population in Taiwan is against reunification, and that percentage would be higher if you excluded the business class that profits from close ties with China. Pride in Taiwanese identity, contrasted with Chinese, is increasing and seems to animate all age ranges of the adult population.

Gavin:

In short, life for people in Taiwan looks rather similar to life in China. Surprised? Taiwan clearly has much more in common with nearby mainland China than with far-off decadent Western “democracies”. Perhaps it would be better for those who rule over us to step back and leave Taiwan’s future to decisions of the Taiwanese people themselves.

At the present time, Taiwan is more truly democratic than the U.S. or (certainly) China, which can claim to be Communist until the cows come home but is, in essence, Fascist. (An academic distinction, in case anyone cares which scum is scummier.) Politicians are politicians, and corruption is everywhere, but Taiwanese politicians are far more responsive to voters, speech is more free and unfettered, and elections are far less corrupt, than in the U.S… especially in a day and age with a Merrick Garland running a corrupt DOJ and overseeing a corrupt FBI.

It was not always this way. I’ve been to Taiwan about two dozen times over 40 years. (I wear my carbon footprint badge proudly!) It has changed a lot. Even in the 1980s, Taiwanese I knew were reluctant to speak their minds, fearing the consequences. There was no independent press that I could recall. Chiang Ching-kuo was an SOB, but he was our SOB – otherwise it was hard to argue he was any better than the strongmen across the Straits. My Taiwanese friends viewed the ruling KMT as corrupt. But now I’m the one who holds his tongue, and looks around before uttering a politically incorrect opinion. Who is less free?

Gavin:

Nevertheless, the backgrounds show Taiwan as a well-ordered society – with clean streets free from litter, graffiti, and street people, and with comfortable public transport.

Taipei is a great city and a success story. Much more like Tokyo than Beijing. Far cleaner than in the 1980s; prosperity helps. There is some graffiti, mimicking American urban trash. But not that much. And the subways and buses are clean and efficient. Quite safe also. There is no American city that I would now willingly venture across at night, even on well-lighted streets. I’ve walked through the huge urban Da’an Park at night countless times. The thing most to be feared: not drug-crazed homeless, not criminals, but mosquitoes.

Remnants of the lower trust past society abound: many neighborhoods and blocks employ security guards. They make so little money that employing them is still economically viable. One still sees a lot of bars across windows. But no one seems afraid.

And few seem all that concerned about China. I think they know that China will eventually prevail, that they will be absorbed, and will do so without firing a shot. They do not count on us. We (the U.S.) will continue to decline, spending money we don’t have, electing (if only through fraud) pathetic fools like Biden. It seems natural that we’re less concerned with Taiwan, an actual democracy, than Ukraine, a kleptocracy better suited for our post-democratic, banana republic age. And by the time China wins, how many Taiwanese will be left anyway? Their population is on the brink of collapsing. Depressing.

10 Likes

iQIYI’s algorithm suggested another Taiwanese telenovela with the intriguing title of “Rainless Love in a Godless Land”. Still seeking to learn about Taiwan through its current popular culture, I took the bait, watched the first episode, and found myself hooked. Sadly, I now find myself flopping about on dry land.

The story was inspired by legends of the aboriginal inhabitants of the island of Taiwan – God becomes so disgusted with human abuse of the Earth that He withdraws His blessings, leading to societal collapse. That might sound like the basis for a screechy environmental diatribe or a religious sermon … but no, those elements are mostly incidental to the plot. The title might also suggest a romance … and while a key element in the tale is a long-term chaste relationship in which the messenger of God protects an orphaned little girl who grows up into an attractive young woman, it is far from being a romance … until the storyline stumbles at the end. Instead, for most of the drama, as the intricate plot winds around itself in typically-Chinese stately fashion, it becomes a thought-provoking exploration of truth and lies, reality and dreams, blessings and curses.

This telenovela presents a grittier view of Taiwan than “Someday or One Day”. There are polluted rivers, trash-strewn shorelines, graffiti, garbage piles, scrapyards, prostitutes, random beatings in dark alleyways. However, the serial still shows those as the ragged edges of what remains at its heart a well-ordered Chinese-cultured society.

Sadly, the writers in the final episode chose to dissipate all the drama & tension they had built up through the course of the serial and veered into an unsatisfactory feel-good cute romantic ending. This is in such contrast to, say, South Korean productions where it is understood that happy endings are strictly optional. Is this a reflection of their recent histories where South Korea has suffered through invasion whereas Taiwan has not?

If one wanted to analyze the symbolism of this production, it would be rather clear-cut. The young woman (symbolizing Taiwan) ungratefully dumps her caring foster-mother (the US) who had taken her in as a young orphan and lavished attention & support on her while she was growing up. Instead, the young woman focuses on re-connecting with the grandmother (China) who had rejected her when she was a child. Not to worry, there is a happy ending for everyone … except that long-ignored foster-mother.

Despite the weak ending, the viewer cannot help but be impressed by the professionalism of the production, the fine performances of the actors (including the child actors), and the skill of the writers (until they fall at the final fence). A production like this clearly demonstrates the high quality of the Taiwanese who created it. Authorities in mainland China must surely recognize that the real asset in Taiwan is the people, not the territory (despite its historical & political significance). It would be self-defeating for China to crush those people through an armed invasion. Much better for China to reel Taiwan in slowly by seducing the Business Class and buying the Political Class. After all, that approach has worked so well for China in its dealings with the West.

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/PrinceVogel/status/1724998098408370327/photo/1

4 Likes