What's the Difference—Sandwich Bread vs. “Real” Bread

In Europe, the squeezy sliced stuff that comes in a plastic bag and keeps almost forever in the frigo is sold as “toast” or “sandwich” as opposed to “bread”. What’s the difference, and how do they make it that way?

4 Likes

It’s great that there is a professor of baking science. As a bonus, it’s a chick, in a video about sandwich bread no less. You can’t make this up. That’s the simulation winking at us. Make me a sandwich.

As an aside, that “sandwich bread” is not bread. Contrary to the claim in the video, it’s quite possible — nay, even preferable — to make a sandwich from a baguette. One need not use that non-bread substance.

4 Likes

Sandwich “bread” gets the highest possible Nutri-Score. What is Nutri-Score? I’m glad you asked. It’s another example of whackadoodle nutritional guidance on food labels promoted mostly by European governments.

1 Like

You have to be careful with that. There’s the guy who told his secretary that, not knowing she was a Wiccan adept.

He is now a sandwich.

6 Likes

Language caution.

I like wheat bread (sandwich) for my sandwiches. If I am making something fancy, I will use a Rye or a Sourdough. But if I am having a ham and cheese while watching Notre Dame beat the trash out of some mid-flight team from the MAC, I just keep it simple with wheat.

Back in college and law school I lived on Repo Man generic food:

A loaf of generic white sandwich bread could be used to replace hot dog buns (too expensive) or for baloney and cheese sandwiches (all ingredients also generic).

3 Likes

Many of hotdogs wrapped in a piece of bread have perished by my hands.

5 Likes