The Crazy Years

4 Likes

6 Likes

Here is the original article from the Chicago Sun Times.

Loyola University criminal justice and psychology professor Arthur Lurigio, who tracks shootings on Chicago expressways, said the drop in shootings was significant, but he cautioned that it is tough to assess year-to-year changes in crime trends.

He noted that many of the incidents occurred near neighborhoods that experience higher levels of crime.

“They’re occurring on stretches of the interstates and expressways that are parallel to the neighborhoods with the highest number of shootings,” Lurigio said.

The shootings are often a continuation of conflicts that happen on surface streets and neighborhoods, and people are pursued as they try to get away on the highway, he said.

To a shooter, the “benefit” of being on an expressway is that you can get on and get off, Lurigio said.

“If I’m chasing someone and I shoot them on the expressway, within seconds I can get off. It’s also easier to elude the police,” he said. “You’re also traveling at a faster speed, and people are usually focused straight ahead and can’t see the person who shot at them.”

4 Likes

5 Likes

Would be interesting to litigate issues such as the relative ownership between subject and photographer. See https://ssrn.com/abstract=4049946

Here the subject reportedly staged the pose himself rather than it being at the direction of the photographer.

Another interesting thing is to get the photographer to put on the record what artistic contribution he or she makes and why (e.g., make a suspect I like look good or one I dislike look bad).

4 Likes

Remember when the Current Thing was wanting to ban trans fat?

4 Likes

Diesel generator at Tesla Supercharger in California:

https://www.sfgate.com/centralcoast/article/tesla-interstate-5-supercharger-power-plant-18343119.php

4 Likes

Cause revealed:

8 Likes

My goodness. For such a technologically advanced era, it sure is incapable of what could be considered rudimentary tasks. I thought the assembly line was pretty well mastered some 100 years ago.

4 Likes

Mark Felton Visits Buckingham Palace—So You Don’t Have To

“Welcome, peon—pay, shut up, and obey.”

3 Likes

6 Likes

https://www.wwlp.com/news/local-news/hampden-county/smith-wesson-headquarters-in-tennessee-grand-opening-announced

3 Likes

Autodesk then…

…and now:

7 Likes

Even I have NAS, expandable at a moment’s notice. All I produce is righteous indignation and general gloom - Maybe I should become a demoncrat.

6 Likes
4 Likes

Well, they do deserve some credit for the ability to discern an asylum, no?

7 Likes

UK had already been pulling back from bullpups:

5 Likes

The real irony here is that Highland Park is probably 3rd richest town in the Chicagoland area, behind Lake Forest and Lake Bluff. All they need to do to “immerse themselves” in poverty is drive maybe 15-20 minutes north to Waukegan. Plenty of poverty there.

'Course just how they’re going to get a full immersion experience of poverty at the Highland Park CC is yet to be seen.

5 Likes

You follow all this stuff. ?Have you noted all the weapon shifting going on. The Marine Corps left some 87,000 416’s in Afghanistan. Then the Army goes with the Spear rifle - in a new calibre with an as yet unproved cartridge made partially of polymer, and a new machinegun. The Air Force is still trying mightily to kick out the A-10 from its inventory; it will probably settle on “relegating” it to the ANG - making the ANG, once again, an essential component of the total force, as no one will do air-to-mud like the A-10’s. Oh, yeah, we also adopted the F-35, an absolutely ginormouos POS aircraft. We went away from the highly reliable 1911 in .45 ACP to the 9mm a while ago, showing even in the sandbox you needed multiple hits to put down a raghead. Now the services are all armed with the Sig M17/18.

?Who benefits. Just when the civilians pressured enough changes to make the AR a solid if unpretentious battle rifle, we walk away from it. And I sort of don’t believe we’ve run out of chassis for a reliable rifle, even rebuilt. And certainly the 416 is a Mercedes version of the AR.

The only rational conclusion here is that someone is walking away from this with Big Bucks in their pocket.

7 Likes

I recall seeing a story about Neel Kashkari the head of the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis doing something similar. Of course he had a film crew to document it. Fraud. Fake. Sicko.

4 Likes