The Crazy Years

4 Likes
6 Likes
2 Likes

For any owners of Ford EVs without AM broadcast capability, we’ll offer a software update.

2 Likes

This rust-bucket tub is not operated by a third-world Navy, but the USS James E. Williams (DDG-95), a guided missile destroyer which was commissioned in December 2004. I guess they’re sending all of the grey paint to Ukraine these days.

7 Likes

I’ve been rereading this thread from a ways back. It is quite interesting to read it straight through rather than just the add-on’s. Gives you a different perspective on some of the comments. In the rereading I have found comments I either disregarded somewhat previously or misconstrued. When read as a whole they have been more meaningful. I have wound up adding a number of “likes” to stuff I seem to somehow have missed or missed the point.

8 Likes

The Supreme Court on Thursday curtailed the Environmental Protection Agency’s authority to regulate certain wetlands that qualify as “waters of the United States” under the Clean Water Act, curbing what has long been seen as a key tool to protect waterways from pollution.

The high court ruled against the agency in a long-running dispute with Idaho landowners known as Sackett v. EPA. In an opinion authored by Justice Samuel Alito, the court found that the agency’s interpretation of the wetlands covered by the Clean Water Act is “inconsistent” with the law’s text and structure, and the law extends only to “wetlands with a continuous surface connection to bodies of water that are ‘waters of the United States’ in their own right.”

Here is the decision in Sackett v. EPA [PDF], which reversed the (surprise!) 9th Circuit’s definition of “wetlands” to include just about everything with a drop of water. The decision was unanimous, 9-0, but the reasoning behind the decision split 5-4.

The court ruled unanimously in favor of the Idaho couple, Michael and Chantell Sackett, that brought the case, but split 5-4 in its reasoning. Joining Alito’s majority opinion were Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Clarence Thomas, Neil Gorsuch and Amy Coney Barrett. Justices Brett Kavanaugh, Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan and Ketanji Brown Jackson concurred in the judgment.

11 Likes

@Devereaux Back in the day, didn’t junior enlisteds spend much of their time scraping and painting?

What has changed? Paint deemed (or become) too hazardous?

7 Likes

Ann Coulter used to joke that the Supreme Court had preprinted forms reading:
“We reverse the judgment of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit for the reasons set forth in Judge Kozinski’s dissent.”

8 Likes

Well, that was always the joke in the Marine. You would compare Navy enlisted rank to Marine Corps enlisted, and the Marines would be Squad Leaders, Platoon Guides, Platoon Seargents, and the Navy … would chip paint! :crazy_face:

4 Likes

And maybe, just maybe we will see an end to the silly concept the courts have held that the government “logic” was always right. Abuse of the law and powers under it, have been going on for far too long.

4 Likes

And it’s a flagship:

TOULON, France – During a busy period in the Tyrrhenian Sea, the Standing NATO Maritime Group 2 (SNMG2) flagship, USS James E. Williams (DDG 95), carried out a series of exercises and activities with FS Languedoc (D653) of the French Navy

3 Likes
2 Likes

Yeah I’ve noticed the likes.

3 Likes

Junior enlisted hell! I did plenty of that as an E-5! But I suppose that is still considered junior enlisted. USS Bulkeley (DDG-84), 2008-2010.

5 Likes

Yup that was exactly why I got out. I was transferring duty stations from NSA in 2007. I was also a trained cryptologist. In 2007 we were in the midst of “The Surge” in a combat zone where the killer of choice was IEDs detonated via cellphone. Well I happen to have specific training in tracking and jamming cellphone signals. So when seeking orders I asked to go to the Sandbox as we liked to call it. Instead I was sent to a ship because I had never been on a ship and this very serious national security threat be damned. Two years later I was a defense contractor actually tracking and supplying info to targeteers to neutralize the threat.

6 Likes

6 Likes

Why people are still denying the Truth of the Christian Bible I will never understand.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Wow! So in Ireland you can get a court order to prevent someone from posting negative things about you on Facebook. Yeah we live under the rule of law alright and it has become despotic!

4 Likes