The Crazy Years

It was particularly thoughtful for the meteor to land right next to the visitor centre on the Moon.

10 Likes
7 Likes

Ukraine has similar civil servants, who like to get a bit of publicity for themselves. And she did get plenty of publicity once Russians blew up the event for volunteer drone constructors. Chernihiv missile attack: Drone exhibit “agreed with local authorities”

5 Likes

A lot to unpack here:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/slashing-budget-west-virginia-university-141415518.html

6 Likes

Indeed…and some elsewhere:

“Get woke, go broke.”

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/nov/10/west-virginia-university-weighs-new-woke-criteria-/

The administrator plague:

Hence, faculty salaries are only 43% of total salary expenditures.

Who are those “non-instructional employees”?

Perhaps they could get a grant to reinstate Chinese language instruction from the Confucius Institute.

6 Likes

https://www.thedaonline.com/culture/i-am-wvu-dei-coloring-book-project-draws-interest-from-students/article_db907cf0-be9b-11ed-8d5a-7b8c94ad7520.html

5 Likes

How fitting that the submission deadline was April 1.

6 Likes

Amazon inventory disposal scams:

and “brushing” scams:

8 Likes

Interesting … seems like a victimless crime in that it’s really a form of advertising for the vendors.

In terms of detection, wouldn’t it be the case that when the recipient of the package w/o a return address informs Amazon, then they could simply look up which orders were shipped to that address, and thus identify the “brusher”?

I got the sense that each of the two women featured in the video reached out to Amazon at least initially. At that point it seems Amazon had a chance to figure out the brusher account and “nip it in the bud”, no? If they really wanted to, I guess they could contact the recipient of the package sent by the brusher to double check they received the merchandise that was part of the verified purchase.

Perhaps Amazon also benefits from this indirectly, as brushing boosts sales, even if the reviews are mostly fake.

5 Likes

My wife ordered a single pillow from Amazon for our bed and received a case of pillows (X10). She contacted Amazon and they said keep them and charged for one. As an Amazon investor i was getting second thoughts about keeping the stock.

6 Likes
5 Likes

It is hard to image that things could be worse than under the present legal regime.

5 Likes
6 Likes

Oh, the drama! “I could have died!” Listen, sweetheart. You “could have died” crossing the street. Or climbing a ladder. Or slipping in the shower or bathtub. Life is full off “I could have died” moments.

Get over yourself and live life.

4 Likes

Godwin-Warhol time:

5 Likes
7 Likes

Tesla breaks into the previously protected Malaysian market:

4 Likes

Professor of physics at MIT, co-founder and president of the Future of Life Institute, co-author of open letter “Pause Giant AI Experiments”, supporter of “effective altruism”, biography states “my scientific interests range from artificial intelligence to the ultimate nature of reality”.

Thinks India landed on the far side of the Moon.

4 Likes

First, we would not have had live footage without a lunar orbiter to relay.

Second, I did not see Modi dancing to Pink Floyd.

5 Likes

At least Tegmark didn’t say “dark side of the moon”.

6 Likes