I assumed so

3 Likes
7 Likes

“HR 42: Secure Homeland Against Terrorist Ring Finger Ring”

4 Likes

11 Likes

9 Likes

carver_2023-02-15

Crop rotation was practiced by farmers in the Near East as far back as 6000 B.C. In Europe, Greek farmers rotated crops since 500 B.C., and crop rotation was routine in agriculture in the Roman Republic and Empire. The three-field rotation system appeared in Europe during the medieval period and persisted into the 20th century. In the 18th century, the four-field system was developed and widely adopted in Britain.

George Washington Carver’s contribution was solely attempting to persuade farmers in the U.S. South to alternate crops with cotton to restore nitrogen to the soil and provide alternative cash crops. The “idea of crop rotation” was known and practiced for millennia before Carver.

12 Likes

The popularization of groundnuts reminds me of one of the rare modern-day prophets, Amadou Bamba:

As Bamba gathered followers, he taught that salvation comes through complete submission to God and hard work. The Mouride order has built, following this teaching, a large economic organisation, involved in many aspects of the Senegalese economy. Groundnut cultivation, the primary cash crop of the colonial period, was an early example of this. Young followers were recruited to settle marginal lands in eastern Senegal, found communities and create groundnut plantations. With the organisation and supplies provided by the Brotherhood, a portion of the proceeds were returned to Touba, while the workers, after a period of years, earned ownership over the plantations and towns.

Also notable is his invention of Cafe Touba, one of my personal favorite spiced hot drinks.

6 Likes

“ George Washington Carver overcame slavery to achieve fame as a scientist, botanist, and educator. He invented over 300 uses for peanuts and he’s responsible for much more. He’s credited for the idea of crop rotation to improve soil health”

This appears to be a common tactic among blacks today. I heard a piece from a black singer claiming the black keys on the piano were a “black invention” whereas they are merely a pentatonic scale, common to Irish and other folk songs. And he should have known better.

6 Likes

My earliest memories are living across the street from the Simpson College chemistry building named after Carver, of which he said:

“At Simpson the kind of people there made me believe that I was a human being.”

Nowadays, however, the folks in my home town don’t really believe they are human beings because of their original sin of being too white.

7 Likes

clock_2023-02-16

11 Likes

Why “small”? Give the kid credit for including a table clock housing so that it could be distinguished from a clock on a clock tower.

7 Likes
7 Likes

Sounds like the decendants are asking the university to put their money where their virtue signaling is.

More great families that have supported the now “woke” universities should sue for return of their donations.

6 Likes
4 Likes

Some avant-garde applications of cultured (“lab-grown”) meat:

Scientists and designers from the US have created a ‘grow-your-own’ steak kit, which uses human cells and blood to pose a question to the cultured meat industry.

The Ouroboros Steak, named after the ancient Egyptian snake that eats itself, can be grown from cells scraped from the inside of your cheek and fed serum from old donated blood.

We are currently working on: the Siberian tiger, leopard, black panther, Bengal tiger, white lion, lion, and zebra.

We have previously discussed cultured meats here.

6 Likes

Potemkin Steel:

6 Likes

So the plant will use hydrogen instead of coal, and the hydrogen will come from electricity generated by replaceable sources like windmills. Presumably the electricity to drive all the steel-making equipment will come from the same source. Let’s hope the wind does not ever drop while the plant has a cauldron filled with molten metal.

One can’t help but notice that the BBC’s photo features a diesel-powered backhoe in operation building the site. Maybe that backhoe was built using very much cheaper steel from a coal-fired plant in India or China?

6 Likes

uturn_2023-02-17

5 Likes

Curious. If only New York had another airport. Or Boston. Or Philadelphia. Or the DC Swamp. Presumably the passengers would have been less inconvenienced by landing at another US airport. So what was the real reason for sending the plane back to New Zealand?

7 Likes

https://www.yahoo.com/news/usaf-grounds-kc-135-stratotanker-003617035.html

5 Likes