The Crazy Years

Musk did not correct Nader’s erroneous assertion that Musk “started” Tesla. Had Nader said “built”, it would have been accurate in both regards.

And, as seen below, Musk ignored the subsidy associated with selling emission credits.

As for starting to receive money in Q2 2010, that was well before the first Model S was sold.
Tesla was already making money from selling Roadster ZEV credits:

And with the Model S, Tesla started earning big money from CA and Federal emissions credits to then sell to other manufacturers:

From back in the day:
> For example, each Model S that Tesla sells generates seven zero-emission-vehicle credits that Tesla can sell to auto makers that are not selling their fair share. Recently, these credits sold for $5,000 each, bringing Tesla $35,000 in extra revenue for each Model S sold.

7 Likes

Always some hustle angle, isn’t there.

4 Likes

You think these are the crazy years? Here is a rocket-powered cat as described by artillery master Franz Helm from Cologne, in what is now Germany, in the mid-1500s.

Create a small sack like a fire-arrow … if you would like to get at a town or castle, seek to obtain a cat from that place. And bind the sack to the back of the cat, ignite it, let it glow well and thereafter let the cat go, so it runs to the nearest castle or town, and out of fear it thinks to hide itself where it ends up in barn hay or straw it will be ignited.

Here is a copy of Helm’s manuscript of 1584 with an illustration of a rocket powered cat and dove

8 Likes
8 Likes

The Energy Department joins the FBI in saying the virus likely spread via a mishap at a Chinese laboratory.

They must be so happy that the mishap occurred in a partially US-funded lab in China instead of in one of the dozens of wholly US-funded labs in the Ukraine. Our Betters dodged a bullet there!

7 Likes
5 Likes

We have an acquaintance who worked in those labs in a different former Soviet country. They were built with defense funds to detect biological warfare agents, it’s only coincidence (wink wink) that they were also good public health labs. They had/have PCR gear for DNA sequencing to tell what bacteria they’ve found, and if I got it right anthrax (it’s also a common sheep disease, the labs our acquaintance worked in also processed a lot of sheep samples) was used as a comparison/calibration for PCR tests. There was nothing anywhere near “gain of function” research going on in those labs, they were staffed with lab techs (who would rather drink tea than work) that processed samples, not researchers of any kind

4 Likes

Right. I believe that 100%. I also believe “the vaccine” will protect me from the dred Pirate Jones.

1 Like

Dominic Cummings’ advice to GOP:

3 Likes
4 Likes

“Shaken, not stirred…”

Racial references have been removed from Ian Fleming’s James Bond novels following a sensitivity review.

Terms such as the n-word, which featured in his writing from the 1950s and 1960s, have been edited out of new editions of the 007 books, which are set for reissue in April.

Some depictions of Black people have also been reworked or removed, but references to other ethnicities, including the use of a term for east Asian people and Bond’s mocking views of Oddjob, Goldfinger’s Korean henchman, remain.

Revised lines include Bond’s assessment in Live and Let Die that African would-be criminals are “pretty law-abiding chaps I should have thought, except when they’ve drunk too much”, which has been changed to “pretty law-abiding chaps I should have thought”.

“A number of updates have been made in this edition, while keeping as close as possible to the original text and the period in which it is set.”

It comes after Ian Fleming Publications Ltd, which owns the rights to his work, commissioned a review by sensitivity readers of the James Bond series.

…“sensitivity readers”…

7 Likes

The nanny in your pocket…

iphone_2023-02-27

8 Likes

I recall discovering that when I did an update last year. How about they just make the phone more efficient? I can play videos for hours on my Samsung and still be well above 50 percent charge. With even a little use, the iphone will be drained by lunchtime.

5 Likes

Regime Change #2: A plea to Silicon Valley - start a project NOW to write the plan for the next GOP candidate

Poor old Cummings! He seems to pin his hope on electing the right candidate. He has failed to learn the lesson of Trump, right before his eyes: There can never be a Man on a White Horse.

President Trump’s inability to drain the DC Swamp shows that a man alone does not stand a chance, even if he is President. Meaningful reform requires firing large numbers of senior civil servants, repealing massive numbers of laws and regulations, and cutting spending. That would take an entire movement, not a single man.

A betting man would put his money on collapse rather than reform.

9 Likes

While this is supremely stupid for a cell-phone - it makes a ton of sense for other devices - especially when there’s data infrastructure for real-time energy pricing.

1 Like

Cummings is specifically saying that large sections of government need to be simply shut down and re-founded.

3 Likes

I am most sorry to have been forced this conclusion, though the collapse just might follow mushroom clouds and radioactive … everything. The effectiveness of bread and circuses has exceeded all my expectations in maintaining compliance of the ovine populace. This is so even as the US keeps upping the ante in daring Russia to respond to its provocations. There, too, the effectiveness of the propaganda demonizing Rusia exceeds what I thought possible. Ending this conflict is not complicated. First, take seriously what Russia has been saying clearly and convincingly since the coup of 2014; NATO membership for Ukraine is a mortal threat to the existence of Russia. Continuous attacks on Russian-speaking eastern Ukraine - supported materially by NATO is a present demonstration of that threat.

Long and hard propaganda successfully hides from a disinterested and distracted western public, the obvious fact that NATO membership of Ukraine is the precise equivalent to the USSR placing nuclear-armed IRBM’s in Cuba. JFK’s administration acted since this was rightly regarded as an existential threat to the US. One need not be a genius to see the equivalence of these states of affairs. To make matters worse, the US blatantly and arrogantly reneged on its Minsk promise that NATO would not extend further eastward. The end is near, one way or the other, as this is only one of the many unsustainable circumstances in which the world (and particularly the west) is stewing.

China’s recent statement on the nature and practices of US hegemony are also instructive - and somewhat chilling.

7 Likes

At 88, Inhofe says he intends to remain involved in politics but admits to still suffering the long-term effects of COVID-19. It is the reason, he said, he left the Senate.

“Five or six others have (long COVID), but I’m the only one who admits it,” Inhofe said during a recent interview.

3 Likes

Believe what you want, of course. This is a very reliable source that we’ve known their entire life, that worked there for 5 years. We toured a couple of their labs, and went out to dinner with a group of managers and other workers.

There’s a mRNA anti-pirate vaccine? Cool. It’ll protect you against pirates but you’ll end up looking like Davy Jones?

2 Likes

TFA is paywalled

1 Like