Mandatory Listening: Rogan Interview With Dr. Peter McCullough

Yes. Joe Rogan is one of the best interviewers plying the trade at the present time. He invites a wide variety of guests, covering a broad spectrum of topics, interests, and points of view, and brings out their perspectives with an Everyman style: “Now, explain that so that even I [and thereby the audience] can understand”. He guides the conversation so it doesn’t get stuck in corners or mired in minutiæ, but for the most part lets the guest speak at length, not interrupting, arguing, or interjecting his own views except as a proxy for questions listeners might be inclined to pose. His choice of guests ranges all over the spectrum of opinion on the topics they cover. His interview with Bernie Sanders did the best job I’ve heard of eliciting from Sanders exactly what Sanders believes and why.

Why is it not a good, indeed, excellent thing to present a wide spectrum of opinions to a broad audience who are willing to make the substantial investment of time to hear them, then let them make up their own minds? Isn’t the best remedy for “bad speech” (if such could be said to exist) more speech? Have we come to the point that ideas and dissenting data (what I call “hate facts”—undisputed data which cannot be spoken in public without career-limiting consequences) are so dangerous that they must be carefully filtered by “expert” curators lest they reach the general public? Then who are the “experts”, how are they chosen and by whom, and quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

As an example of the breadth and depth of topics covered by Rogan, his August 2019 conversation with John Carmack, Episode #1342 (or on Spotify), is one of the most insightful perspectives on virtual reality, the past and future of computer gaming, and the dynamics of open source product development and evolution I have ever encountered. I learned a lot from it, and I have been in this industry for more than thirty years.

I, for one, do not wish to return to a world where a handful of editors in New York City (or snowflakes in Silicon Valley) decide what news and opinions are worthy of being seen by hundreds of millions of people. Joe Rogan is among a handful of people who are realising the promise of the Internet as a many-to-many mass medium, trusting, as any republic or consensual society must, the judgement of individuals to come to their own conclusions.

So, yes, it is a good thing that eleven million people listen to Joe Rogan, and a far, far better thing than millions listening to the likes of CNN, Fox News, or MSNBC.

6 Likes

THIS may be THE best defense of Joe Rohan I’ve heard. Very well put, John.

That is a brilliant term! Succinct expression of an undeniable truth. Please allow the rest of us to use it early & often.

3 Likes

Before this topic showed up here, I didn’t even know there was a Joe Rogan. Which gives you an idea of how detached I have been from popular culture. (Been busy trying to solve large-scale energy problems.) But looking around found this.

"The truth, as my late friend Michael Brooks and I noted two years ago, is that Rogan’s political views are messy and somewhat incoherent—like the views of many millions of Americans.

"The claim made in both the MoveOn petition as well as the medical experts’ open letter that Rogan spreads falsehoods about COVID stands on much firmer ground.

“Rogan has been prone to conspiracy theories for so long that it seems to have been worked into the character he played on NewsRadio —a show that went off the air in 1999—so, while he isn’t exactly an outright anti-vaxxer, it’s unsurprising that he’s sympathetically interviewed an alarming number of people who spout reckless nonsense about COVID-19, and that many of his own statements about the pandemic have been somewhere on the spectrum from dubious to recklessly inaccurate. Like his politics, his position on the COVID vaccine can—generously—be described as skeptical to contradictory.”

The article is relatively sympathetic. The problem seems to be the thinking skills of the people who listen to him. That may not be an intractable problem, but I don’t know how to fix it.

Come on, Keith! We all know that “anti-vaxxer” is a deliberate misrepresentation of the facts – an attempted “othering” of those people who have doubts about government policy (if we put it in the standard Leftie terms). Use of that term automatically shows the intent of the individual who wrote it.

First, we know that the vast majority of those who are demeaned as “anti-vaxxers” have in fact been vaccinated against all sorts of diseases such as polio. They are not “anti-vaxxers”, they are thinking citizens who are exercising control over their own bodies and have justifiable concerns about the Covid injectants.

Second, we know that the mRNA injectants promoted by the government are not vaccines in the normal sense of the word. The government’s injectant does not prevent the individual from getting the disease or spreading the disease. Calling that injectant a “vaccine” is pulling the usual Leftie stunt of changing the meaning of a word. Very Orwellian!

Third, we know that the mRNA injectants do have near-term side effects, and we also know that any long-term effects are currently unknown, since the injectants have been issued before that kind of normal testing could be performed.

Fourth, we know that the dreaded Covid is not an “epidemic” comparable to the Black Death, as governments originally presented it. It is a regrettable disease, but broadly comparable in its effects to the kind of bad flu year the world has endured since time immemorial. Government responses to Covid have been disproportionate and seriously damaging to our societies.

If Mr. Rogan allows his interviewees to present information to his listeners for them to ponder and make up their own minds, all power to him! Even if those interviewees make statements contrary to the dubious words of our politicians and bureaucrats.

5 Likes

Please pay attention to the post format. I didn’t write that, it should be clear that I was copying part of a Daily Beast article.

As to the rest of your comments, see Memeeoid above.

It was clear. That was why I used the expression: “Use of that term automatically shows the intent of the individual who wrote it”, not “the intent of Mr. Henson”. Paying attention to the post format would have shown that you were not that individual. No need to get defensive!

2 Likes

The same can be said about conspiracy theory. Racist, conspiracy theory, terrorist, and the original fake news all are used in the same way. An attempt to silence people without presenting an argument or addressing their points. Fake news had to be rebranded to misinformation because fake news was flipped on them and used to ridicule the likes of CNN.

Wonder if they listed the conspiracies he is prone?

When the lefties started their effort to deplatform Rogan, they would attempt to belittle him by saying he believes in aliens. I have watched a couple of his interviews on this topic. I don’t really know what his thoughts are on the topic.

He has interviewed Graham Hancock more than one time. Graham argues in favor of lost civilizations. I have watched these interviews. I am not sure of Rogan’s position.

He has had people on to talk about psychedelics. He said he used them and thinks they are beneficial.

A good interviewer shows interest in a topic. It doesn’t mean they support the person being interviewed.

He was heavily attacked after getting COVID and recovering quickly after following treatments that cannot be spoke. It included Ivermectin and monoclonal antibodies.

By the way. I am one of those antivaxxers. Since I travel internationally, I have taken more vaxx than 99 percent of the population. I have even taken the sniffles vax. One of the best outcomes of the smear campaigns is the lost credibility of these hack outfits with huge swatches of the population.

3 Likes

This Australian site allows you to get a feel for your own personal risk should you contract COVID.

As far as I can tell, it does not take into account your comorbidities or lack of them.

I doubt it is accurate as of omicron.

Ever since Spotify contracted for exclusive distribution of Joe Rogan’s podcasts and acquired his entire back catalogue, there have been reports that some of the podcasts previously available on other platforms were missing from Spotify. GitHub user “Hendrik” of Oslo, Norway, created an automated scanner (source code) called “JRE Missing” (where “JRE” is “Joe Rogan Experience”) that compares the complete back-list of podcasts with Spotify’s directory and posts discrepancies on the Web site JRE Missing.

That site reports that there are currently 113 of the 1458 archived podcasts missing from Spotify, of which a total of 70 previously available went missing yesterday, 2022-02-04.

These are flagged with “New” on the site, along with their date of removal. You may want to scroll through the list of guests whose podcasts have been memory holed to see if you can discern any kind of pattern.

3 Likes

Your recommendation better be good for almost 3 hours, Civil! I’m going for it.

1 Like

Let us do a shot at the consequences. People who listen to Joe are presumably influenced, in this case, not to be vaccinated. The US current death rate from covid-19 is around 2500/day or 7.5 per million per day Death for the unvaccinated is 15 times higher so about 2330 (7 per million) per day vs 166.

The US population is 62% vaccinated. If that was typical of his 11 million, there would be about 4 million unvaccinated among them. My guess would be that the unvaccinated are quite a bit higher fraction and as a further guess, perhaps a million people have been influenced by his show not to get vaccinated. That translates into 7 deaths a day or about 2600 a year. (Perhaps more, perhaps less, make your own estimates.)

It would be really interesting to get a statistical sample of the vaccination rate of his audiance.

Of course a case can be made that people who are influenced by such nonsense deserve what they get. Unfortunately, there are consequences for the rest of us. It’s also true that Joe is a long way from the most influential person in history.

Here’s the thing. I don’t believe any of those numbers, and if you believe them, you are the only person I know who does. Since early 2020, the “experts” have consistently lied, fudged numbers, covered up their motives, and created perverse incentives to skew reporting (for example, paying hospitals more for cases listed as COVID even if a positive test was incidental to the reason for admission/treatment). We know Fauci lied about genuine concern the origin was a lab leak (his own E-mails and text messages, now disclosed), and he lied repeatedly to Congress under oath (a criminal offence under 18 U.S. Code § 1001 punishable by 5 years in prison) over funding gain of function research in Wuhan via the EcoHealth Alliance in New York). The NIH and CDC lied about the efficacy of masks early in the outbreak then reversed their story—what is it?—two or three times. We are told we must be treated with drugs that do not meet any definition of “vaccine” in use prior to January 2020—drugs that do not prevent infection (although they lied to us and said they would) and do not prevent transmission (which they lied and said they would), and we are told this is to protect others, which makes no sense whatsoever, even at a logical level, if they do not prevent either infection or transmission.

If the effect of the drugs is only to reduce the severity of symptoms (and you believe that), then they are therapeutic drugs, not vaccines, and their approval under an Emergency Use Authorisation for a vaccine is invalid and those who pushed it through were lying.

We are presented with statistics based on “cases”, where “cases” are defined in a way never before used in epidemiology—results of a laboratory test upon people who have no symptoms, and we are not told the false positive rate of these tests, the quality control in their manufacture, the competence of those administering and evaluating them, or the number of cycles run in the case of PCR, where in some countries we know that figure makes the test results completely meaningless.

We are to be forced to take a “vaccine” which, in territories where it has been administered to close to 100% of the population (for example Israel and Gibraltar), new record after new record of “cases” are being reported every week.

Sorry, but when the numbers reported make no sense at all and those reporting them have been lying continually for more than two years, their credibility is gone and cannot be recovered. I call this the “bonfire of the expertise”. I don’t believe anything they say any more than I do the bogus numbers the U.S. Treasury, Federal Reserve, and Bureau of Labor Statistics has been pumping out since the 1970s.

At this point, I have more confidence in individuals making their own health decisions for themselves and their families in conjunction with physicians of their choice than I do in “mandates” or “guidance” or any of the other weasel words for top-down coercion being pushed by these malevolent clowns or their willing accomplices in the private sector.

8 Likes

John, it’s PMSNBC. Just had to correct the typo. Everything else you said was perfect.

1 Like

I started to argue with data but it is pointless since all data is just rejected.

The memes involved in the Covid business have coupled into the same brain systems (psychological mechanisms) that maintain religious beliefs. Those brain systems have been intensely selected since well before modern-type humans left Africa. Those brain systems and the memes they are filled with make people willing to take a 50% chance of death trying to wipe out neighbors.

But I don’t expect anyone to understand that they have such brain systems any more than I expect people to change their minds about deeply held religious or religious-like beliefs.

3 Likes

It’s not a religious belief to say that the death numbers have been inflated. First They (capitalized on purpose) keep waffling back and forth between died from and died with COVID. Then there are the many stories that discuss those dying having—I think—at least two comorbidities. Then there is the fact that many elderly people who died did so needlessly because They were putting Covid patients in old folks homes early in the ordeal. And finally there is the vehemently negative reaction to any therapeutics that show this can be treated. Also there are the many stories where you can see people who have died, had the death attributed to Covid, but the cause of death had nothing to do with Covid. Instances of motorcycle deaths being classified as a Covid death are an example of this. I think there are plenty of valid reasons to question the reported death numbers and for me it has nothing to do with that part of my brain that compels me to pray and give thanks to Jesus.

6 Likes

Many deeply-held and vociferously defended religious beliefs are grounded in assertions made by humans in positions of authority which cannot be (or are discouraged from being) independently verified, and which are defended by sanctions against those who dissent.

3 Likes

Surely the consequence of the evolutionary process you posit would be that everyone has such brain systems – both those who wear masks while driving alone in their cars and those who glory in breathing fresh air. So how could a hypothetical Martian arrive on Earth and determine which of the two groups was being silly and which was being sensible?

It seems we need a different framework to analyze the situation with Covid. Perhaps an economic model would be more appropriate. What would be the full long-term costs of letting Covid rip versus the costs of the Lock Downs and other impositions on the populace? It is interesting that the Powers That Be have never shown any interest in addressing that obvious question.

3 Likes

You certainly don’t need to convince me about this. And it seems that the sillier the beliefs the more they are defended. Xenu, descent from clams, spaceships like DC aircraft, boohos and weepers., They spent more than 3 million harassing me, corrupting judges, and such when I pointed out that NOTs 34 is directions for criminal activity.

2 Likes

The trait of making war on neighbors is as close to universal among humans as any trait you can find. It’s been under intense selection for a very long time. The only other one I can think of that is as universal is capture-bonding, the mechanism behind Stockholm syndrome, battered spouse, fraternity hazing, bondage, and army basic training. Capture-bonding - Citizendium

“What would be the full long-term costs of letting Covid rip versus the costs of the Lock Downs and other impositions on the populace?”

We saw that in Equador in the early days of the pandemic. The hospitals were overwhelmed. Bodies were left of the curb. Those in possitions of authority in other places didn’t want this to happen on their watch, so they did what they thought would be effective in preventing it.

“It is interesting that the Powers That Be have never shown any interest in addressing that obvious question.”

I don’t think you are looking with the right terms. Try Sweeden, covid, economics.