The Crazy Years

7 Likes

I’m shocked, simply shocked to hear this. Here I thought Democrats were for all of us just getting along. And islam is the religion of peace.

3 Likes

is Larry Fink’s ESG gang method of reversing knowledge learned by most in kindergarten (eg The Three Little Pigs) !!!

3 Likes

Celebrating her German ancestry with a Benz rather than at least pretending to be British with a Rolls or Bentley?

3 Likes

That’s what cracks me up about the Brits: they love their Royals (mostly) but they aren’t even English! They’re bloody German!

2 Likes

A Yank, criticizing a person because of where their family is from? You can’t say that the Windsors/Saxe-Coburgs haven’t fully adopted Britishness.

3 Likes

If they had based it on a Chevy Bolt, it would’ve been a combination hearse and mobile crematorium

5 Likes
2 Likes

Apparently the Japanese Master Plan to shift industry to hydrogen is finally getting noticed. They are going to make a mint on selling fittings etc.

2 Likes

The only crazy part is how long it has taken for the rest of the world to notice: Japan’s Hydrogen Industrial Strategy | Center for Strategic and International Studies

2 Likes

The what and the why:

4 Likes

Where is the hydrogen going to come from?

3 Likes

Initially, most will come from where most hydrogen does today: steam reforming of natural gas. Advocates of hydrogen have suggested that carbon could be captured at the point of reforming and sequestered, but I don’t think anybody is doing this today at scale.

Further out, the proposal is to use “renewable” energy to electrolyse water. The Japanese are investing in electrolysis technology with this goal in mind.

5 Likes

Yet another reason to invest long oil and gas industry. Would love to go long nuclear too – but waitin for spacex-like leader in this under developed, U.S. deep state hobbled industry …

5 Likes

https://www.yahoo.com/news/f-16-pilot-died-ejection-223326519.html

5 Likes

That is exactly the point! The Usual Suspects wax lyrical about the “green” hydrogen economy, while ignoring that they need massive quantities of fossil fuels to manufacture the hydrogen that does not occur naturally on Planet Earth. Sort of like how Electric Vehicle afficionados ignore the fossil fuels used to generate the electric power used in their toys – as well as the fossil fuels essential to mining and manufacturing their toy.

By the way, if any of the hydrogen enthusiasts happens to have some skills in how to handle that most fugitive of gases, NASA would desperately like to hear from her.

7 Likes

Wait a minute, is that true, that hydrogen is not a naturally occurring element on Earth? But I thought it was on the periodic table and it is NOT in the column with the Inert Gasses, which are artificial if memory serves. (It’s been a long time since I was in 7th Grade Science class, so forgive my memory if wrong.)

Hydrogen is abundant on Earth, the tenth most abundant in the Earth’s crust by mass (and far more by number of atoms, as it is so light). But gaseous hydrogen (H₂) does not occur naturally. Most hydrogen is bound to oxygen in water molecules, carbon in hydrocarbons, and other compounds. Hydrogen makes up around 10% of the mass of the human body, much in the form of water.

But to produce gaseous or liquid hydrogen, it must be split from the molecules it’s bound into, and that takes energy. The easiest route is cracking methane, which as CH₄ has four hydrogens for one carbon. Another approach is electrolysis of water, but that takes a lot of electrical energy, which means hydrogen produced that way is more a medium to transport energy than an energy source.

7 Likes

Okay, this makes sense–and yes I feel stupid for not picking up on H2O (why I am a lawyer and not a scientist). Thanks John for curing my sudden case of ignorance.

4 Likes

Hydrogen is net negative. Green hydrogen is double net negative. The energy source for the electrolysis is net negative and the hydrogen is net negative.

Pink hydrogen is the whackos term for hydrogen that is produced when using nuclear. It doesn’t qualify as green because it doesn’t require or result in population reduction or mass deprivation The whack jobs require that it result in population reduction to classify something as green.

Other than pink hydrogen, hydrogen as a fuel required to get to a carbon free society is just another giant hole in the whacko’s plan.

7 Likes